hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Half-Life: Alyx

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    Buy a 900 quid headset to play half life, not for me
    You can play it on a 200 quid headset.

Also the Index headset is only 500 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    Buy a 900 quid headset to play half life, not for me
    You can play it on a 200 quid headset.

Also the Index headset is only 500 quid.
    Its a lot of money, but its my first one, so i didnt have additional spend already on older ones that ive replaced.
    I use it to enjoy Elite dangerous and a few other games, this is just a nice bonus. Gaming is a hobby and i dont mind spending a bit on it. its a good headset, but boy does it get warm around the head and eyes.

Enjoying the shit of my Lenovo explorer tbh.

have oculus CV1 without the controllers. Guess I have to find a set of them now

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Willing to bet this game is entirely on rails and not more than an hour long.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Good luck, tell me when you find a spare pair as it's no longer available on Oculus store from my location.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Good luck, tell me when you find a spare pair as it's no longer available on Oculus store from my location.
    uuugggghh. I was inches away from not even trying anyway, now I'll just leave it.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    I was thinking about this in the shower today, wondering how long the game would be. I'm expecting a little longer than an hour, hopefully 8 hours or so. I don't know how you would have a VR game off rails since you can't really jog around in a VR headset and you'd need a directional joystick or D-pad to move.

You do realize there are some proper long games on vr by now right? It's a thing.

Multiple ways of moving, usually a teleporting option is a given.

I'm glad I'm pmuch immune to vr motion sickness and can move with sticks tho.

its free for valve index owners, aw yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    I was thinking about this in the shower today, wondering how long the game would be. I'm expecting a little longer than an hour, hopefully 8 hours or so. I don't know how you would have a VR game off rails since you can't really jog around in a VR headset and you'd need a directional joystick or D-pad to move.
    According to this it's 20 hours long, but who knows. It's supposedly a full length game equivalent to HL2 according to Valve.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    According to this it's 20 hours long, but who knows. It's supposedly a full length game equivalent to HL2 according to Valve.
    Nice. Also:

"Half-Life: Alyx is the largest game team we've had yet," Valve designer Greg Coomer tells us.
    Comedy writes itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    You do realize there are some proper long games on vr by now right? It's a thing.

Multiple ways of moving, usually a teleporting option is a given.

I'm glad I'm pmuch immune to vr motion sickness and can move with sticks tho.
    I find that whenever I get frame drops motion sickness kicks in, few loops in DCS when terrain starts to load and framerate almost freezes and I'm holding vomit in my mouth and get a headache apart from vertigo. Or whenever something moves my head without me actually doing any input, SRV ride without vr aids turned on in ED and I'm vomiting with a headache even faster. But everything else where I get stable framerate or view stays locked in at what I'm looking at until I input some control myself is all good.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    The only time I've been seriously motion sick using VR, is in warthunder. DCS is fine as it's not that fast-paced, you're mostly just flying around in a straight line pushing buttons (inless you fly low tech planes where close range dogfights are a thing, but I don't do that much)

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    uuugggghh. I was inches away from not even trying anyway, now I'll just leave it.
    You can actually get the valve index controllers and use it in conjunction with your rift. I've given that serious consideration. You need to also get two of the index vr sensors, so it's not exactly cheap, but it's an option and it's cheaper than going full index (which also requires you to upgrade your video card if that is on the lower end).

That setup would be *marginally* cheaper than a full Index kit, for a pretty significant downgrade in quality/performance.

eBay some first-gen Touch controllers. They’re good.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    That setup would be *marginally* cheaper than a full Index kit, for a pretty significant downgrade in quality/performance.

eBay some first-gen Touch controllers. They’re good.
    By marginally it's 500 bux cheaper (almost half the price from buying the entire kit)

Having to teleport about to avoid the inherent shitness of VR motion sickness kinda makes this look like a "nah" from me. Standing still shooting gameplay. Meh

Looks pretty though

Edit: Ok later on movement is normal, if a bit slow. walking about looks much better
    Last edited by Duckslayer; March 3 2020 at 09:26:20 AM.