hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Hobolife: The D.U.C.K. System

Ritual slaughter triangle ...dont forget the blair witch wicker thingie's
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post

Close

So seeing that pic now i can clearly see i have incorrectly tied one end of the rope, and also missed an entire turn in the binding of part of the whole thing. Hey ho, i watched a youtube video once and though lets give it a bash.

Before we go any further. Stay safe in the woods kids. Sure, may literally be on drugs while using sharp tools but always stay safe.

Assorted bandages, plasters, pills, condoms and other health essentials for woodland safety.

So, the build. Tripod done. It's gonna be the scaffold for the ceremony/ support for the roof, and it lets me reposition so more of the platform is covered from rain. Not perfect, but lets see how it holds up.

Looks a bit sketchy and Ive moved the legs and pole positions around a fair bit to test but when its set up right i can hang from it and it supports my weight fine. Maybe you can hang from it too!

So yeah, did a little bit more of the platform , my technique getting more random and inconsistent as i went, but somehow stronger. its quite comfy too and is just about at the length where one can fully lie back

Mindless work but one more session and that should all be complete.

Front and rear view to fully check her out

perv

Next up, probably the frame for the roof. kinda want to find a tree stump as a table/step ladder to help with thatching. we shall see.

i have made FIRE!

Scraped the resin from some pine hearts and eventually it took a spark from a ferro rod and lit! woo I AM A CAVE MAN.

Shame the "hardwood" i chose as a base didnt even make a nice bed f coals. Fire burned for a good few hours mainly on the pine i gathered locally. Need to bring in some seasoned oak, as the "hazel" didnt burn anything like it was supposed to. This fire making in an arté

my house now smells of woodfire. Wholesome polution

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    my technique getting more random and inconsistent as i went
    "Dynamic and adaptive".

Are you randomly chopping stuff down or picking it off the soggy ground?
    If so that's probably why it's burning terribly. (And you probably shouldn't just be hacking things down. :P )
    To burn well wood really needs to be dry first, otherwise it mainly makes homing smoke that goes straight for your eyes.

But needs must in the QuackShack.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    my technique getting more random and inconsistent as i went
    "Dynamic and adaptive".

Are you randomly chopping stuff down or picking it off the soggy ground?
    If so that's probably why it's burning terribly. (And you probably shouldn't just be hacking things down. :P )
    To burn well wood really needs to be dry first, otherwise it mainly makes homing smoke that goes straight for your eyes.

But needs must in the QuackShack.
    Dead standing m8. It has been mega rainy here though for a while so everything is soaked. Even some dead standing was rejected. I could always split logs for more efficient burning. Will do next time

the pine is nice and bright but burns so fast its a nightmare to keep fueling. No axe to get larger pine stuffs so just knocked off pine tops that havn't hit the ground

Know of a few two-year-downed standing oak trees en route to the shack, will bring in some prime seasoned hardwood for fire making next trip.

Was genuinely happy i could even light one in this weather though. I think ive got the initial phase down now but the transition from early fire to longer fire is hard

Bonus though was that fire yesterday was entirely usable as a cooking pit once the flames died down. Shoulda brought in a few burgers and a grill.

Fire mates. Its hard. But satisfying. Embrace the black lung

Get/make yourself a stove (like a big can w/ some holes) for more fuel efficieny?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

You are using a lot of rope. Buying that or just hobo nicking it from garden sheds?
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    Get/make yourself a stove (like a big can w/ some holes) for more fuel efficieny?
    I did actually make a mini wood gassifier stove the other month. Was far too small to be practical though, needed constant feeding and i hadn't quite got the air holes mastered. Could always remake with a large paint tin for efficient fires.

Look at his little face!

The joy of an open fire cannot be underestimated though. We evolved with that shit, man.
    Last edited by Duckslayer; March 1 2020 at 10:19:49 AM.

You are using a lot of rope. Buying that or just hobo nicking it from garden sheds?
    the green paracord i bought (nicked from a mate who bought it). the garden twine that's doing the platform i nicked from the work supplies (we literally use a twine bundle to throw over tree limbs when spanning a cable through a tree, and thats it! MINE!). The big tan rope that tied off the tripod i found in these very woods and appropriated it.

Also i used some of my precious luminous yellow dyneema thread for a tarp last night as it was raining quite hard. I shall be reclaiming that as i actually paid real life monehz for it.

shitty pic, shitty tarp, shitty weather!
    Last edited by Duckslayer; March 1 2020 at 10:23:03 AM.

Went to check this morning if the tarp was still up and that the firepit was safe. Yes to both.

This fine boy has been down for many a year now so i liberated some well seasoned oak off her to store at the hoboshack for next fire.

sexy. Need more. Will pile up as i can. Alas the woods the shack is in are mainly hlaf pine, half TRASH trees. I do pass through an ancient oak woodland on the way though. backpacking it in

Did you get an axe yet or something?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Did you get an axe yet or something?

Tapapapatalk
    alas no axe yet. Im off buying cheap and buying twice, at least when it comes to tools so gonna get something sexy later in the year.

Just my knife and folding handsaw for now, so small diameter wood ftw! That reminds me, i snapped the tip off the blade sawing that oak. F all round
    Last edited by Duckslayer; March 1 2020 at 07:11:23 PM.

F for the blade!
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Little bit of a different post today as weather is too bad to get to le quackshack. I present to you a wall of text that no one is really that interested in reading but im doing it anyway in honour of the fallen Barth. Lets get nerdy!

Did some historical research on the area im hoboing in. Turns out Carrington Moss is a historical peat bog. That might explain why its so flooded currently! Was used since Norman times as a source for fert. The peat can vary in depth but can get as deep as 20 ft. I knew i wasn't imagining the methane smell when le shack one was getting a bit, er, damp.

On Carrington Moss by David Cox, 1851

The estate was owned by some toff called Harry Grey, 8th Earl of Stamford in the C19th where it was used as grouse moorland. Even though now its been converted to other usage, the grouse and pheasant remain. Common partridge and even a breeding pair of the rare grey partridge are said to be on the land.

Manchester's rapidly expanding population in the mid to late 1800s results in an annual 200,000 tons of waste needing somewhere to be dumped, 75% of which was human sewage! Manchester Corporation purchased the estate in 1886 for £38000, about £4000 000 in today's currency. The 1,101-acre site was partly wild moss, partly cultivated moss and some limited farming. The corp got to work draining the site for cultivation, cutting channels that still line the walkways today. The whole area sunk, and tramways were installed to link the site to the railway network and the river Mersey water network (and a few years later, to the newly build Manchester Ship Canal), using industrial waste form the city centre as building materials. By the end of the 1890s the Corp was dumping 70,000 tons of excrement into the peat bog, where acid soil was ideal for breaking down the waste. The area began to farm oats, carrots and potatoes, and the ornamental Rhododendrons of Manchester were cultivated and raised on the site. Now locally an invasive non native species. Big yikes all round

Onto the 20th Century! Less and less bedpan sewage; more and more sewage water works leads to a decline in the productivity of the land. By the interwar period sewage works are used to flood the land rather with nitrate rich human poo, rather than trained-in poo and the quality of the soil for agriculture is lowering yearly. During WW2 the site is chosen as a Starfish site, one of 4 round Manchester. So lots of fake city buildings, lights and fires to trick ze Germans into bombing a literal shit tip rather than the metaphorical shit tip of industrial Manchester central.

The Moss continues to be cultivated post wars, with glass houses and dairy farming supplementing the staple crops, but with the construction of a power station in 1947 the moss is now advertised as a potential site of industrial economic activity. Everyone's favourite destroyer of the environment, Shell Petrochemicals leases the site and begins to build oil based heavy industry. Council housing is installed on the edges of the land and by 1985 the site employs 1500 people and has a turnover of £200 000 000 a year. One year later shell sack 1000 people to increase profits, leading to a not-so-gradual decline in the area. PROGRESS!

At the start of the new Millennium Manchester United Football club purchase a portion of the estate to build their training facility and youth academy. In subsequent years Manchester City also purchase land to build on, who they then sell to Bury FC. Sale sharks rugby club also have a training facility there.

Man Utd Training complex

Bury and Sale sharks (previously Man City)

Shell finally close their last plant in 2007 and the site is mainly derelict, with a few chemical companies remaining leasing the land. The one remaining constant feature is the off gas burning pire. It never goes out. its always burning. It looks like the eye of Sauron at night

Big plans to turn it into a new housing region with no affordable houses, shit transport links, no new schools and a total devastation of the surprisingly lovely remaining natural wilderness are currently being fought against by the local community.

Why, you may ask? Well, for all the petro-chemical fuckery, Victorian-city-dumpery and farmer-ruin-yet-another-peatbog scenes, the Moss still has areas of significant natural importance. Exactly where my hoboshack is is the last remnants in the area of a historic Norman pine forest that once stretched across the whole Region. there are still a few rare plantings of wild moss and flora, and there are over 20 species of red-listed endangered birds roosting in the moss including these magnificent bastards:

There are also large bat populations and water voles, all protected endangered species in the UK. At dusk i like to go chill in a spot on the main path near me near the treeline and watch the bats swoop around for insects.

So yeah, its a place with an interesting history and a heady mix of beautiful wild and rewilded nature contrasted with decaying industrial might. For this reason it has been popular with the bottle diggers of the north west, who gather on weekends to enjoy a good dig in the mud to collect old glass and pottery.

Dog walkers abound, a horse riding centre and of course the obligatory council estate young boys on crossers revving it up all over the place. Seems that times will once again be changing though as Mayor Andy Burnham is determined to smash through community objection and chuck a new road right through the middle of it, build a new town there and put 750 expensive 4bed detached houses onto a floodplain/bog.

Maybe one day soon you shall see a crusty modern swampy protesting out the top of a pine tree in the middle of fucking nowhere against the onslaught of PROGRESS! maybe not.

I should probably join the local society of nature nerds, litter pickers and enviroreeeeers though as they are the force for good here, and i really do love the site.
    Hope you are all having a hippyhappy wednesday. Stay safe. Avoid corona. Go into your local wilds and enjoy them while you can.

Last edited by Duckslayer; March 4 2020 at 12:17:15 PM.

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.
    Which is a damn shame. Help me out.

Addenum:

the bottom left of this pic, below the training ground and to the right of the solar panels is the last bit of open moss heather, and it turns out it is being managed by the local wildlife volunteer group to help encourage the heather to spread. During my research i found out that they are off there this Sunday to do a bit of maintainane.

Might rock up and offer a hand, see what its all about and do my bit for the area. It looks lovely and i should learn a lot from the old nature boffins.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.
    Which is a damn shame. Help me out.
    done.

>tfw you are literally building your hobo shack on a massive pile of shit