hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Hobolife: The D.U.C.K. System

On my phone so no rep. Please halp!

absolute madlad
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

FC send help i've progressed to arts and crafts and it looks terminal...

Wanted to make a tinder pouch for a while cos they look cool and leather is a great material. Also its something i can make with minimum tooling and no sewing. Sewing is hard.

Ordered some leather string and a small goat hide. Nappa leather (great for custom "returning videotapes" gloves). Cut into some circles, one useful size and the others comedy scrotum pouch sized. Materials gathered:

Deer antler from a childhood find, might as well use it 30 years later!

OK so take the circle (sort of circle, nearly circle) and notice you don't own tailors chalk to mark it or a compass to delineate it. Fold in half and half ass mark up some stuff's. It doesn't have to be accurate

Bit of old school string marking with a ruler to find thirds between the quarters (it makes sense in my head)

Circle complete, 48 holes

Non suede sexyshot with newly threaded leather cord

Basically done now. Added a square of extra leather to act as a pull guard

The closeups reveal my shoddy cutting work.

My antler spurs, gonna remove them in honour of Donald Trump.

Don't own a vice so lets pikey up one with nails and some wood!

Drill the holes. Mmmmmmh smells of burning hair

Assemble, fill with random bits of tinder, jobsagoodun!

Family shot

Little one is practically useless but if i ever need to emergency larp ive got my coin purse sorted.

Rubbed some lard into the leather after to make it water resistant and smell of pig. Probably shoulda made it bigger but really happy with the final result.

I think someone found your hobo hut:

Must be amazing to be so accurately immortalised as a mini, congrats!

Word up, its been a while since i updated.

So, lockdown restrictions slightly lifted slightly mean ive felt a bit more ok to do actual wood sawing and have a fire. So that's exactly what i did!

The fireplace at Hoboshack is finally put to use!

First things first though, some cheap DIY firelighters:

Just melted some wax from tealights in a bean tin and dipped cotton pads into it. Garden twine tied through the middle. Not at all needed currently with all the birch bark about, but handy fire makers nevertheless. Nice cool cone shape forms erry time too, which makes for a very high light output emergency 10 minute candle too, i that's even a thing?

Behold its power!

Also, the summer bloom is here, and the bracken and ferns are out in force. I harvested all i could for my roof, but there wasn't enough just yet. Will keep adding to the roof until its relatively watertight, then cap with Burdock leaves. Was gonna do moss but its really struggling in the bits of the wood i've been active in, would you know human activity encourages grass to grow?

I "tiled" from right to left, you can see the neatness improvement in the edging

Just needs one good stock trip to slightly further afield woodland to finish. The wind the last few days did make the roof come slightly untied on the right front corner, nothing a few hazel stakes didnt temporarily fix. TBH the whole structure needs a refresh of paracord for me to be happy with it. One day

So, the hut is a nice place to chill, very cool vibe in that part of the woodland. Made a slingshot to have some target practice fun with. Ordered the bands, but tied them myself. its a powerful beast

Have a second, more sexily grained wood slingshot in production too, will post when done.

Made a target for my shooting practice. Eventually want to try hunting some pheasant, but i don't wanna main the poor bastards so gotta get sum aim
    Step one, make a frame of hazel. Did some jigsaw style joints (idk what to call them). This is the first, and ugliest. Ill have to head back for good pics of good work alas

Fits together snugly,then you lash them with twine

Here is the finished frame

Took an old BBQ cover cutout plastic tarp into the woods as my target backing, and used the rubbish randomers have dumped on my hoboshack while admiring it as targets. Sorry for blur*

Hung the frame like a picture. This was a terrible idea. The sound of metal BBs hitting that tarp was like that of shotguns going off. The tarp did nothing to safe my BBs from being pinged off,lost forever in the undergrowth. And whenever i hit centrally, it would ping back off the tree behind it with the force of a thousand suns. Literally dangerous and terrifying.

So, lets mod this shit!

Much better! Triangular legs and a 45 degree back angle helps, also makes the targets dangle tantalizingly. Still cant hit shit though.

So, one day i will post me roasting a freshly caught and plucked pheasant. But until that day, we have bannock!
    So i brought in a flour sugar baking powder cinnamon styleeee mix of bready goodness to the woods. added far far too much water to it while failing to kneed it propely enough. then tried to cook it on an open fire using a piece of slate far far too small for the ever expanding failure

Few pics here of it in action, slowly losing dough, and any pretense of being a bread to the fire over time, as i constantly have to readjust it as any sort of not level situation led to slip and slide scenes. Ended up trying the slate directly on the hot ashes. All this did was burn the base . Anyway,s my bread turned out to be a supermarket cookie

I couldn't bring myself to photo the sorry finished mess, just take that last pic, add a dark black crust round it and all over the bottom, and smash it up like its stuck to the rock.
    Still ate it though, was edible!

A resounding failure of a bake, but an important attempt. I learned a lot. More important than how to bake was me getting some coals + live fire building in, so i will be able to cook direct on coals while maintaining my heat source. Never actually tried that before so its reassuring to know its easy now.

So, plans. Finish the roof. Bake more. Stop being so terrible at aiming slingshot.
    Bonus shot of my bike cooking kit trialed yesterday. Mini firestove is amazing buy, like 13 from the usual places but can make a fire from a handful of sticks, cook my beans, and be cooled down and packed away into the pan all within a cheeky half hour lunch break. Amazing bit of kit. Ignore the odd looks you get having a mini fire on the canal in 25 degree glorious sunshine, beans are fuel!

Peace!

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Make a pot noodle

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Duckslayer again.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Dat flatbreatblob m8
    Big ups pheasantslayer

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    For once I was actually able to!

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    fuck. me too. need halp

Welp

Also straight backdrops for any sort of shooting range is a bad idea (entry angle equals exit angle). Your refined version is nice. Take a video of you shooting soda bottles. Bonus points for shooting diet coke bottles with mentos prepared to drop into the bottle when hit.
    nevar forget

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Duck are you going to build walls? Are you worried randomers might trash it? Have you spent the night there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Duck are you going to build walls? Are you worried randomers might trash it? Have you spent the night there yet?
    I have thought about walls. Possibly gonna make a hazel basket style screen on adjustable poles, so i can wall off the hobo platform when needed. Kinda slowed on the active mass sawing of trees during summer and lockdown but will get back on it. I did go and prop up the roof on the non tripod side during these winds the last few days, as it took a battering and had slipped down a foot. Vertical poles of hazel. Seems easy enough to do a non structural wall, just need to get sawing
    Same reason i've not spent a night there yet; lockdown. Probably could do now without worrying but i can wait for more relaxed advice. Just stick a sleeping mat and bag on the platform, see how it goes. SOON. Shame the site doesnt have a water source but its close enough to home to not be too worried about a few extra KG of weight to carry in.

On it being found and trashed. Its not something im particularly worried about tbh. If it happens it happens; its mainly all natural materials sourced locally so there wont be any/ much litter left and its the risk you take. Im secretly hoping its too awesome for kids to fuck up and that they'd rather use it as a cool place to play. Wishful thinking perhaps.

That being said, the other week an old bloke rocked up with his dog. Was full of praise and said he had been following the progress over the months. Nice chat if a bit unexpected. Not 2 minutes after he left a second dog walker came in as he followed the other chaps trail in interest. He was impressed but mainly worried kids would trash it and hoped they wouldn't a lot in our brief convo. In the months before this ive had the odd woodland meeting with people and clearly some fucker is chilling out there (perfectly fine) and leaving his junk here (plastic bottles, cake box, tin of beer, other random plastic shite) and that annoys me.
    Last edited by Duckslayer; May 26 2020 at 04:57:25 PM.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Make spike traps

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Make spike traps
    No no no. We want duck to AVOID liability lawsuits.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Make spike traps
    all im saying is, if this thread suddenly goes offline and i don't post in a while, pls send hava an FHC whip round and send me some commissary funds

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Make spike traps
    all im saying is, if this thread suddenly goes offline and i don't post in a while, pls send hava an FHC whip round and send me some commissary funds
    mate you've got plenty of logs, use those

According to a training program I've been on, you can make great punji sticks from five bits of sugarcane arranged appropriately on your crafting table.

HTH

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    According to a training program I've been on, you can make great punji sticks from five bits of sugarcane arranged appropriately on your crafting table.

HTH
    Gardening centers sell bamboo sticks...
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post

HTH
    Gardening centers sell bamboo sticks...
    Crap grows like weeds around here. Another thing imported from California I don't want.