hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CMANO : FHC High Command edition

Flight 701, 703 and 704 has been deployed on intercepts towards BOGEY 73 to 75.

i picked the Scorpions and the Delta Daggers because they're the lowest performing jets, the Scorpions have a +2 hour endurance while Daggers only manage 1.5 hours (at cruise) jets with tanks on with longer endurance are in the pipeline but not expected to launch for at least a three hours, everything else has a waypoint set along expected intercept paths and have been told to slowboat to save fuel.

clock is running

edit : note, i have not assigned flights to targets, the AI goes like a bloodhound that has just caught a fresh scent when you assign targets, we're conserving fuel here.

21:10 update

Tracks BOGEY 73 and 74 have left radar coverage heading northbound. flights 703 and 704 have been slowed to loiter, tasking have come in from NORAD, passing Sector-25 ADIZ (the red blocky line) is not permitted and courses have been updated and the following message traffic has just arrived.

Commanding Officer NORAD Region 25

FAA advises that is believed that a number of commercial aircraft will attempt to return to Canada/USA airspace under conditions of electronic silence during this crisis period. The national director of flight safety wishes to advise NORAD commands to use suitable caution when engaging unidentifed aircraft.
    Ira Valient
    Assistant Flight Safety Manager, FAA Washington Bureau
    21:13 Flash Traffic from Flight 701 and Navy 5 Enemy jamming detected!

Flight 701 is functionally blind, Navy 5 is reporting degraded performance but has a jammer heading, direction indicate Soviet bombers flying along the Alaskan shore-line.

(there is no decision to be made here, it's just a update as the tactical situation develops, resuming the clock)

update :

Bogey confirmed as TU-16P Badger J, it's the same shot as above, except red, so no new picture. but this is definitely a incoming strike package.

21:15 update

Navy 5 reports another jamming contact, confirmed as another Badger J, both contacts are outside our permitted engagement envelope and flight ops reports it unfeasible to do a intercept

resuming the clock.

edit :
    21:17 update

a third Badger J has joined the choir, Flight 701 and Flight 700 are both blind, ground station are unaffected and reporting no contacts, resuming the clock.

edit 2 :
    21:18

BOGEY 75 reclassified as TU-16P Badger J after turning on the noisemakers, intel suggests BOGEY 73-75 are all soviet jammer platforms.

21:19
    Message traffic from NORAD Command

TOP SECRET

1. SOVIET STRIKE CONFIRMED INBOUND FOR WEST COAST.

2. WEAPONS FREE.

3. CONFIRMATION OF NUCLEAR DETONATIONS DETECTED IN EUROPE HAVE BEEN RECEIVED.

4. NCA CONFIRMS SAC EXECUTING SIOP.

TOP SECRET
    Strategic Map Update

aside from the jamming, there's nothing much going on, the enemy is rotating jamming targets now targeting airborne interceptors and annoying the AWACS, this is a lot less problematic than it seems at first glance because the intercepts can be run purely by GCI and land based installations are unaffected.

again, there's no decision point here, just giving the play-by-play.

21:23
    New Bogey, designated BOGEY 70 detected by RCAF Holberg!

course is 123 speed 480kt altitude unknown heading towards Vancouver.

Map update is as follows.

the choice here is a simple yet difficult one, the closest flight is 700, a pair of CF-105A's making up the northern edge of our airborne interceptors. the next flight of CF-105's are ready to go up in 36 minutes, ordering the intercept is a given, but at what speed ? they're thirsty engines but at loiter they have 2h 37m on the clock left.

armament wise they've got a mix of IR and SARH Falcons, the Sparrow equipped birds are still arming and refuelling, next closest group is 701 (over the water, to the south), a pair of Delta Daggers with 2h 16m left on the clock.

(both of these time estimates go to shit the second those big afterburners get lit, that's the problem with the Avro Arrow, it's got engines the size of a school bus and a performance that makes a supercar envious, but once you light the fire, you're burning your fuel reserves very very quickly)
    Last edited by Liare; November 19 2019 at 07:05:56 PM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

use the afterburners

It's heading and closeness doesn't give us any choice. Most of our shit is still on the ground, so we can't afford to let them get closer to any bases or cities

Do the f-89Js have unguided missiles in their pods? If so, intercept the jamming badgers.

Otherwise, yeah, intercept Bogey 70 with the closest wing.

Can we tell FAA that all civilian air traffic needs to turn their transponders back on?

If not, then Bogey 70 should be identified before fired upon. Otherwise, just attack right away.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Do the f-89Js have unguided missiles in their pods? If so, intercept the jamming badgers.

Otherwise, yeah, intercept Bogey 70 with the closest wing.

Can we tell FAA that all civilian air traffic needs to turn their transponders back on?

If not, then Bogey 70 should be identified before fired upon. Otherwise, just attack right away.
    we can't force a crossing of the red line, but everything is armed and they're all full of Mighty Mouse's too, incidentally, the Badgers can actually outrun the F-89J's.

we can't order transponders back on, and we're not linked into FAA's systems anyway, the only way to identify potential bogies is looking at their altitude/speed profile, their emissions profile and sending interceptors out. (emissions profiling happens automatically by ESM)
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

the only way to identify potential bogies is looking at their altitude/speed profile, their emissions profile and sending interceptors out. (emissions profiling happens automatically by ESM)
    what profile does Bogey 70 fit?

inconclusive, speed is within the range of being a airliner, but without altitude data it could be anything from a high speed cargo jet to a low speed cruise missile.
    Viking, n.:

gonna go with my original recommendation then. afterburners on, intercept and identify them with flight 700 - hopefully before they can launch anything at either the bases or vancouver

If they're flying up the shoreline they're probably running interference for their friends behind them. If we light the burners for intercept right away we might have to RTB them before the actual strike package gets here

I propose slowboating the arrows because they're too capable to waste right now but hit the burners on the 102s

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

I mean isn't it still gonna be strategic bombers that are running the interference? I feel it would be best to intercept them further away since most of our assets are still on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    I mean isn't it still gonna be strategic bombers that are running the interference? I feel it would be best to intercept them further away since most of our assets are still on the ground
    the objective here is not to maximize score, but minimize the number of nuclear warheads reaching the targets, for all we know it could be a Tupolev Tu-16N/Z tanker send ahead to draw off interceptors, or a civilian aircraft coming in from Anchorage Alaska, the angle is not unreasonable, and the jammers mean the AWACS coverage is spotty, there could be entire wings of soviet bombers inside that radar envelope that have evaded detection, or there could be nothing, all we know is that the Warning Star haven't seen anything yet. the only thing we definitely "know" is the ground station radar coverage, and that degrades in detection range significantly if you fly close to the surface.

of course, paradox's plan has a downside too, it could be a TU-95 Bear with AS-3's onboard, meaning "slowboating" the Arrows just means they've gotta catch much faster and smaller cruise missiles while getting jammed.

this sort of thing is precisely why i picked the scenario and thought this could be a fun excise.
    Last edited by Liare; November 19 2019 at 10:08:29 PM.
    Viking, n.:

I think mewninn's suggestion is good too but I stand by mine for now

How long until the sparrow armed interceptors are ready to launch? We're going to need them sooner rather than later

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

maybe its time for a vote unless someone has another suggestion for the speed and intercept

Attention, Flash Message received:
    TOP SECRET

P 212331ZAUG62

FROM: DEFENSE INTELLIGENCE AGENCY, DIRECTORATE FOR ANALYSIS

TO: FAILHEAP COMMAND

1. BE ADVISED, U.S. NAVAL INTELLIGENCE, USLANTCOM REPORTS MAXIMUM RANGE OF AS-3 MISSILES USED IN ATTACK SORTIES BY OPFOR STRAT FORCES OBSERVED TO BE NO MORE THAN 310 NM FROM INTENDED TARGETS.

2. GRAPHICAL AID FOR THE CARTOGRAPHICALLY CHALLENGED ATTACHED.

ET

TOP SECRET
    Last edited by Neoo Gabriel; November 20 2019 at 03:07:29 AM.

Viking, n.:

Them cunning commies, it would seem plausible for the jammers to try and draw away fighters to intercept them or for the real armageddon to arrive next to the jammers on the best ewar-coverage.

Nerf them falcons

you never know, as i said the scenario has randomized elements, and this is a significantly newer version than what i ran myself, the jammer tactics are radically different, as are the number and placement.
    Viking, n.:

right, closing the poll because well just look at the percentages.

also, i know the poll name turned out fucked, but y'all gotta live with that.

21:23
    BOGEY 70 reclassified as UNFRIENDLY, Flight 700 (not 701, that was a typo, sorry!) has been assigned to intercept at military power. Flight 701 ordered to shift northwards. starting the clock.
    RCAF Holberg reports possible contact trailing BOGEY 70, refining track.

21:24

Map update

BOGEY 71 confirmed, Holberg reports them flying close enough to be in formation, reclassifying BOGEY 71 as unfriendly, adding them to Flight 700's dance card, Nighthawk 5 and 6 confirms and are accelerating to 1350kt.
    (this is basically what would happen, two big targets in close proximity, that's sure as hell not a pair of passenger jets. SOP's take over from here)

21:24 update
    New track confirmed, designated BOGEY 72, trailing BOGEY 70 and 71 by 2 nautical miles, designating as unfriendly and adding to Flight 700's dance card.
    (same reason as above, proximity, 72 is questionable, but they're still marked unfriendly rather than hostile to force visual ID per ROE)

(the CF105's have 16 AIM-4's between them, its PK on bombers is about 50/50, we're nowhere near saturation yet)

incidentally, for those following along, i am assigning them a explicit intercept mission via the mission builder using the "Strike" (Air intercept) template, it's setup like this.

21:29
    map update

Flight 700 has drifted apart, merge is about 2 minutes out. the drift is historical, the FCS systems of these jets is fiendishly complicated and not conductive to flying in close formation, evidently Nighthawk 5 has opted to have his wingman take the first go at the targets.
    altitude date on BOGEY 70-72 is in, they're all coming in at 36000 feet.

21:30
    VAMPIRE VAMPIRE VAMPIRE! (technically, that's only for Anti Ship Cruise Missiles, but you know, flavor and all)
    CONFIRMED CRUISE MISSILE DETECTED BY RCAF HOLBERG!

well, what to do lads ? (no, we can't split the flight)

next flights from Comox (it's the CF105's) can launch in 30 minutes, first Sparrow CF-105's go up then.

the only ready-to-launch flights we have right now is F-101B Voodoo's out of Kingsley.
    Last edited by Liare; November 20 2019 at 06:33:43 PM.
    Viking, n.:

Launch Voodoos and intercept cruise missiles if possible?

Do we have Genies on Flight 700? I assume not.

Anyway, load Genies on all flights capable.
    nevar forget

There probably won't be time to do that.

The voodoos are based down in California, so they're roughly equidistant with the cruise missile in relation to Vancouver & co.

We could divert flight 700 to intercept the cruise missile and take a gamble that the other flight is just a diversion or loaded with freefall bombs while the voodoos burn up to intercept. We know they can catch the bomber flight if they only fly at ~500kn. We're just not sure what they're carrying though

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Launch Voodoos and intercept cruise missiles if possible?

Do we have Genies on Flight 700? I assume not.

Anyway, load Genies on all flights capable.
    uhm Joe, take a peek a the first page, Kingsley is like 650 nm away, the Voodoo's ain't gonna get there.

and i already loaded everything up, with Genies, but the ground crews aren't magicians here.

folks, dont forget we have four other currently unassigned flights that could, conceivably, carry out a intercept, let me load it up and show you.
    Last edited by Liare; November 20 2019 at 06:54:40 PM.
    Viking, n.: