hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Blizzard just committed suicide...

i used to kickstart stuff before kickstart even started Donor Hayes DuSid's Avatar
    So I'm not really into activisim or doing things, but watching this explode has been kind of heartening.

I mean, I know they'll fold like a bitch and then continue to act this way later on anyways. I know the bottom line won't really get hurt by it. But who the fuck cares? I uninstalled blizz launcher and cancelled my wow sub and that's good enough for me.

Meanwhile, reddit/twitter/youtube is just exploding louder and louder about how badly blizzard fucked up, and people are now associating *probably correctly* the recent turn by blizzard towards mobile gaming and the generalized abandonment of good single player games with the wish to invade China's market fully and fuck the west.

They've had an employee walk out and now they've done a big round of firings. Their subreddits are on fire and the people who used to be their prime ambassadors to new people coming in are exiting. I don't think this is permanent, but they've done the ONE thing you shouldn't do, they've gone full Fallout 76.

The shine is missing and has been missing for a while, but now they've fucked up big enough that people are NOTICING, and I am actually hoping this has a semi permanent effect. Even if its just the guy who put out the ruling getting fired so Activision doesn't panic about it's CoD pre orders being cancelled too many times.
    "How fleeting are all human passions compared to the massive continuity of ducks."- Dorothy L.
    Sayers, Gaudy Night (1935)

i used to kickstart stuff before kickstart even started Donor Hayes DuSid's Avatar
    So I'm not really into activisim or doing things, but watching this explode has been kind of heartening.

I mean, I know they'll fold like a bitch and then continue to act this way later on anyways. I know the bottom line won't really get hurt by it. But who the fuck cares? I uninstalled blizz launcher and cancelled my wow sub and that's good enough for me.

Meanwhile, reddit/twitter/youtube is just exploding louder and louder about how badly blizzard fucked up, and people are now associating *probably correctly* the recent turn by blizzard towards mobile gaming and the generalized abandonment of good single player games with the wish to invade China's market fully and fuck the west.

They've had an employee walk out and now they've done a big round of firings. Their subreddits are on fire and the people who used to be their prime ambassadors to new people coming in are exiting. I don't think this is permanent, but they've done the ONE thing you shouldn't do, they've gone full Fallout 76.

The shine is missing and has been missing for a while, but now they've fucked up big enough that people are NOTICING, and I am actually hoping this has a semi permanent effect. Even if its just the guy who put out the ruling getting fired so Activision doesn't panic about it's CoD pre orders being cancelled too many times.
    "How fleeting are all human passions compared to the massive continuity of ducks."- Dorothy L.
    Sayers, Gaudy Night (1935)

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes DuSid View Post

with you there, I work too much these days to do much more than maintain my sanity in the off hours but it's nice to see people actually, you know, give a shit, and it's doubly nice to see something like this have some real consequences. Here's hoping the protesters over in hong kong get the message and go all in on appropriating blizzard characters as symbols of their struggle, because that could cause some very real consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    What's happened to their share price?
    Not much so far.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Will the SEC see defending China as securities fraud?
    wat
    Also this.
    It was quite a daily dip, down about 2.5%. I didn't check the previous low and don't follow Blizzard closely but it was most likely linked to their "dont you guys have mobiles" announcements.

The individual case of acting on their rules of causing offence might be argued as forewarned but it is not the only indicator of how relying on the the Chinese market under CPC / CCP impinges on the west. The impact of shareholders on the practices of business have been well understood for decades.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

The irony here being of course that they don't rely on the Chinese market at all. They're just *really hoping* to get a chance to get their foot in, which might or might not work, while pissing on their core who used to absolutely love them.

Idk, could work out for them, could not. Often doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    I was looking for this to post it in this thread then I realized I saw it in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayes DuSid View Post

with you there, I work too much these days to do much more than maintain my sanity in the off hours but it's nice to see people actually, you know, give a shit, and it's doubly nice to see something like this have some real consequences. Here's hoping the protesters over in hong kong get the message and go all in on appropriating blizzard characters as symbols of their struggle, because that could cause some very real consequences.
    Everyone has known that Blizzard is a soulless husk for years but wanted to keep on playing their games because they reminded them of the <good times>, now you can't ignore what they've become.

Grim Dawn is p. good these days and certainly has more new content than Diablo 3 has seen in it's lifetime.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

I've lost basically all interest in video games now mainly due to their shitty industry practices.
    Which is why indie games are the best.

Imagine losing interest in a hobby because of what one subsection of the industry does while there are more good games from non shitty sources available and regularly coming out than you could even feasibly play. We're in a veritable golden age when it comes to sheer variety and choice right now.
    Last edited by Isyel; October 10 2019 at 04:02:09 AM.

Medium-sized companies like Sega still publish great stuff on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    South Park already had an episode on this sort of topic a week ago, so who knows if they might pick up on this and keep it in the public consciousness longer than it otherwise would be.
    And now Southpark is banned in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    The irony here being of course that they don't rely on the Chinese market at all. They're just *really hoping* to get a chance to get their foot in, which might or might not work, while pissing on their core who used to absolutely love them.

Idk, could work out for them, could not. Often doesn't.
    Thing is Activision Blizzard are really retarded lately. They gave up on Destiny 2 and now Destiny 2 is one of the top games played on Steam with >200k people playing it. Their reason why they gave up on the partnership with Bungie is because Forsaken didn't make ALL the monies in the world.

They axed Heroes of the Storm e-sports.

They're taking a shit on Starcraft 2 although it is in the best place it's ever been balance-wise.

They're rehashing nostalgia with WoW Classic and Warcraft Reforged instead of putting effort in developing new IP.

Overwatch is doing really poorly, it takes ages for matchmaking to find a game (I played it since beta and never had these issues).

They're one foot in the gutter and they're complaining about not being served lobster and are putting out fucking mobile games instead of working on the platform that made them what they are today (yes, that's PC, always was).

Fuck them.

Imagine losing interest in a hobby because of what one subsection of the industry does while there are more good games from non shitty sources available and regularly coming out than you could even feasibly play. We're in a veritable golden age when it comes to sheer variety and choice right now.
    It's not about that, though. It's losing interest in a hobby because the hobby becomes unattractive when you start a game and you're bombarded with requests to pull out your favourite payment option although you just shelled out for a game. Taking Acti-Blizztard as an example, you open Starcraft 2 and the messages on the home screen are to buy shit in game instead of you know, the usual Play/Load/PvP. Yeah they're on top of the screen, but as a percentage 80% is advertising. When did we get here? CSGO does this too to some extent.

There's this push for free to play, but then again Destiny 2 is free to play now and to get to the "shop" in game is quite easy but not intrusive at all. You can go about your merry business all day without stumbling into the in-game real money store.

Software as a service became a thing and it sucks. Even good stuff like Sandboxie or Malwarebytes or 1Password are now exclusively subscription instead of one-time buy only. Games as a service in particular sucks even more. Look, I get it, it provides a steady income stream for the developers and shit, however then this happens and albeit it's hilarious to look at (I'm sure all the three people in Venezuela using legit Adobe software were gutted) - it rings a lot of alarm bells.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    I've lost basically all interest in video games now mainly due to their shitty industry practices.
    Which is why indie games are the best.
    Indie games are really great tbh but sometimes you want something that will push your machine more than 5% CPU usage and 3% graphics usage and impressive graphics, sound and what not - I remember playing Battlefield 3 for the first time with everything maxed and "war tapes" selected on the sound options and the chills I got, that thing scared me, literally felt I was in a war zone. Indies are great mostly gameplay-wise, sometimes you get fantastic stories and art (both graphical and sound-wise), but they don't have the man power to actually put in production something to push the hardware as much as a AAA title can. Granted, AAA titles lately are mostly poorly optimised, but that's not the point. Think about the new Tomb Raider games and the eye candy it comes with.
    Last edited by Cosmin; October 10 2019 at 05:22:48 AM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I'd rather not think about new tomb raiders because they are the epitome of console trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    It's not about that, though. It's losing interest in a hobby because the hobby becomes unattractive when you start a game and you're bombarded with requests to pull out your favourite payment option although you just shelled out for a game.
    So you're just confirming how retarded it is.

There's a fucking metric shitton of amazing games that don't do that. Play some.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Indie games are really great tbh but sometimes you want something that will push your machine more than 5% CPU usage and 3% graphics usage and impressive graphics, sound and what not
    There's your absurd problem really.

And even *then* ... Heck we just had Control off the top of my head which is both amazing and visually insane.
    Last edited by Isyel; October 10 2019 at 07:24:42 AM.

what if most of the things you like now suck

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    If there's one thing this forum does is wank over how spectacularly narrow the field of what you're allowed to like is like a bunch of rotting middle aged farts.

IDK, try some new things?

If not, fine, that's an actual genuine reason at least.
    Last edited by Isyel; October 10 2019 at 07:32:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Take a step back for a breather, try traveling and sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Will the SEC see defending China as securities fraud?
    wat
    Also this.
    Keeping whales in captivity and having upper management commit sexual assault has been securities fraud, not disclosing something which causes share price to drop (like endorsing a totalitarian regime) always opens the door to the possibility...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Maybe I just don't like video games any more then
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.