hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Microsoft Flightsim

New Microsoft Flightsim

This streaming terrain system they've created sounds/looks amazing.

Im not a huge sim fan (no pew pew) but this could be great.

Thoughts from our resident DCS/pilot nerds?

Yeah the whole AI generated 3d terrain from ridiculous amounts of satellite data being streamed to the client sounds amazing. All that plus being playable offline with a cached/lower quality version.

Also the talk of fully detailed atmospheric simulation and wind currents etc dynamically affecting the planes.

Sounds like a glorious time and it looks absolutely ridiculous.

Can it make Moscow?

Depends on how good their sat photos of Moscow are.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Holy shit, that looks and sounds like it's going to be amazing. 2020 is going to be a good year for vidyagames. My inner flightsim nerd is rejoicing

Reminder that it should be on game pass when it's out so no need to worry about buying it to try it either. :>

2020 is fucking stacked already Jesus.
    Last edited by Isyel; October 1 2019 at 07:59:02 AM.

Sounds and looks awesome.

This sounds so ridiculously complex to make and it sounds amazing.

Two petabytes of map data going in expanded into full 3d. Jesus.
    Last edited by Isyel; October 1 2019 at 11:12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

I find google earth/maps to be one of the greatest things humans have achieved. Every time I use it, the ability to find a spot on the planet and essentially drive around the streets with the zoomed in view blows my tiny mind.

So this approach to terrain engines makes me giddy with excitement if it progresses in levels of fidelity over the next 10 years.. and if it gets applied to other game types.

FPS where you can pick your place to fight on the entire planet coupled with procedurally generated building interiors? etc.

Exciting stuff.

Having rudimentary knowledge of finite elements modeling, i kind of got some doubts when i heard all the "X layers, Y surfaces" stuff. At the very least it has to have a lot of interpolation or coarse timesteps.

Still, cool to hear from a nerd perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

Having rudimentary knowledge of finite elements modeling, i kind of got some doubts when i heard all the "X layers, Y surfaces" stuff. At the very least it has to have a lot of interpolation or coarse timesteps.

Still, cool to hear from a nerd perspective.
    Well it's mostly related to how things are calculated digitally, you need to break it down in a way to make it actually doable in real time and then throw it all together.

Jesus christ.

Dat 4k footage.

amazing. i expected to see much more pop-in/out of assets too.

I wonder what the specs are on the test rig.

Looking at this, I thought their model for Seattle looked a little dated.

It runs on the Bing maps photography, so I went to Bing and had a look at their satellite imagery.

Here's Denny Triangle:

None of those parking lots exist anymore. They're all Amazon towers or 40-story condo buildings. The construction site on the left labeled "Insignia" is a residential development that broke ground in 2012 and opened in 2015; it appears to be in the early stages of construction. On the right, there's a parking lot labelled "Cornish Commons," which is the Cornish College of the Arts' dorms, a 20-story tower that opened in 2015.

I'm going to guess and say that the sim is running on data that's about six years old.

Probably not a huge problem, in the grand scheme of things, but it does highlight that Google and Apple both have more up-to-date photography.

Yeah tried to find my house on Bing and it hasnt been built yet apparently.

Googlemaps is superior - also no first person mode outside of Londinium with Bing.

Degenerates!

Ok so a few things that spring to mind.

First of all, Microsoft Flight Simulator X (came out in 2006) is still worse than Crysis when turning everything up to 11. And I can't help but notice that even in the footage from Microsoft the terrain is stuttering. Now, I imagine they shot these clips on top end systems running that "simulation streaming" thingie over gigabit ethernet.

Now imagine yourself, average Joe, with a 10MBit internet connection and a decent midrange PC. Will this actually work at all in delivering a satisfactory experience? Now let's say average Joe has also a VR headset and can play reasonably well VR stuff. Will this run and offer a decent experience in VR? Or when your gf starts streaming youtube your framerate plummets or you start flying through the void of uncanny valley?

Also, obligatory lolbingmaps. But I suppose they're working with what they have.

I am reserved. I would love to take this for a spin but I'd like to see some system requirements first. And no, I didn't fully watch the video in the OP, I'm like 1/2 way through it. It's a lot of eyecandy but fml the terrain stuttering has always been an issue.

At the same time, I remember FSX being around 50GB fully installed so I'd wager this could very well have literally hundreds of GB. But at the same time I don't like they are locking this behind a service - I would imagine they want the same thing as they did with Windows (considering the game name without any number following it) and just milk the subscribers. Considering it's a rather niche market and DCS has it kind of cornered (seriously, thousands of quid for all the content? I know, they're well worth it and one plane is super detailed and may require hundreds of hours to master, still...) - overall I'm happy it's coming out. Would like to test in VR, one of the most annoying things in FSX were the jerky camera movements killing all immersion.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Has this even been confirmed as having VR support?\

Edit: Nope. https://uploadvr.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-no-vr/
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; October 6 2019 at 08:55:58 PM.

I believe it will definitely have VR support (eventually). The video in the OP states MS said "not now, maybe later". I think it's quite likely it will be added at one point. Probably after it will stop melting computers
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

>This will also be the first of the Microsoft Flight Simulator series to not be PC exclusive, as this installment is also launching on the Xbox One.

Interesting to see how that plays out too
    Last edited by Sandzibar; October 6 2019 at 11:13:44 PM.