hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good news everyone!

Congratulations!

That is a cool job indeed.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Big thanks to everyone for the kind words, it's super appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Are ATC in Canada still allowed to strike?
    As far as I know there is no restriction on that but the conditions seems quite a bit better than the US controllers so while there is a general understaffing I don't think that the union is looking at any rash actions.

Also all of the air services in Canada where "sold" from the government to a newly created not for profit corporation in the 90's so the employer is not the government here. That corporation has a mix of industry experts and public advocates on the board as per it's rules so it's all in all a pretty top notch deal all around.

For those that wonder why the gov sold that, it's mostly two things. They didn't want to pay to fix and upgrade infrastructure and there was a conflict of interest as the services where under the ministry of transport, so they made the rules on one side and had to apply them on the other. So the gov set rules for the creation of a corporation to take the services and gave that corporation power to impose fees on airlines throughout the country. All in all a pretty well though out idea if I may say so myself.

must still be cheapish (the fees), afaik don't most transatlantic flights US > Europe go via canadian airspace as much as possible due to lower fees for using the airspace?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    must still be cheapish (the fees), afaik don't most transatlantic flights US > Europe go via canadian airspace as much as possible due to lower fees for using the airspace?
    That's not really the reason. A straight line from London to New York for example goes along the Canadian coastline.

This is from London to San Francisco:

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    That's not really the reason. A straight line from London to New York for example goes along the Canadian coastline.

This is from London to San Francisco:

Tapapapatalk
    http://www.gcmap.com/

TheGreat Circle!

Good luck mate, it's a tough job from what I understand. Godspeed o7
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

I like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

As far as I know it's only on flights departing and arriving in canada, they probably have a part of the landing fees as well.

Cause' yes, if the fee were anywhere near expensive, you'd see diversion tactics from all the major player to skirt the airspace. If you want to see some fun fuckaround you can look at flights from the UK going south. The airspace around the french west coast is phenomenaly busy so alot of airliners will dodge france by like 45 miles out at sea to save the wait time and delays incured by trying to fly over France.

here's is a decent explanation of why commercial air traffic routes are where they are: https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/f...ver-greenland/

And I also seem to rember the rule of thumb: "Fly over/near land as long as possible", for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    here's is a decent explanation of why commercial air traffic routes are where they are: https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/f...ver-greenland/

And I also seem to rember the rule of thumb: "Fly over/near land as long as possible", for obvious reasons.
    I received and signed my offer letter today, sent my info for background check and pissed in a cup 2 weeks ago and i'm going for my medical next monday then all that's left is the introduction to aviation online course (i'm about 20% done, it's kind of a condensed private pilot license theorical class which i've done way back in the day).

(Don't) smoke weed erryday

Also: obligatory video link

Last edited by Lief Siddhe; October 2 2019 at 08:58:28 AM.