hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good news everyone!

Good news everyone!

I just got offered a training seat for an IFR air traffic controller position in Montréal!

I started the process last November with an online test, then a in person test in May followed by an interview in June and I got the call today to offer me a seat starting in January.

For those that don't know, the job is basically to direct and control every plane in a given zone that are flying under an instrument flight plan. That includes all commercial flights and part of private flights.

Job looks like that:

Training takes about 2 years with 2/3's of that being in class and the last part being in post, pay is very high once certified.

Had quite a shit year since last October and this really is a huge opportunity. To give an idea of the numbers, they get .5% certification rate out of candidates that make it to the first in person test. This year, there is 11 training seats for IFR controllers in the Quebec region.

Now i'll need to study a boatload!

I'm fucking stoked!

Fuck me that looks both exhausting and boring as shit with a boatload of responsility on top.

eve fleet commanding sure helps in that, just don't start calling primaries.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Fuck me that looks both exhausting and boring as shit with a boatload of responsility on top.
    Well it ain't physical but it's a demanding job. You rotate on and off throughout your shift to reduce fatigue when the staffing allows and it's very well regulated to make sure nobody is knackered cause mistakes are pretty high stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    eve fleet commanding sure helps in that, just don't start calling primaries.
    As I said on discord, I might call check check on radio because of the old habit lol. (The real term is break break in aviation)

Congrats man. Good work if you can get it!

But don’t we have a jerbs thread already?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Congrats man. Good work if you can get it!

But don’t we have a jerbs thread already?
    We kinda do, but honestly, we ain't swimming in new threads up in this bitch so I figured fuck it. It's gonna die down in about 24 hours and be relegated to the second page or something aniway.

And for the work, I got it. as long as I pass the training I have a guaranteed job at the end.

FAA IT here. If Canada's version is anything like the FAA, try to remember the fucking password to the site you log your hours and QA reviews. It's not hard.

Congrats though. FAA's ATC bids are cut-throat for even low level facilities, can't imagine Canada being different. It's always tough talking to a trainee that graduated the academy, made it all the way through training at an ARTCC, just to flunk out at the end.
    Last edited by spasm; September 11 2019 at 09:39:53 PM.

Celebrating 911 by getting an ATC job. Hard fucking core.

Grats mate.
    She did what?

Quote Originally Posted by spasm View Post
    FAA IT here. If Canada's version is anything like the FAA, try to remember the fucking password to the site you log your hours and QA reviews. It's not hard.

Congrats though. FAA's ATC bids are cut-throat for even low level facilities, can't imagine Canada being different. It's always tough talking to a trainee that graduated the academy, made it all the way through training at an ARTCC, just to flunk out at the end.
    Yeah, the real work will begin in the training for sure. the pass rate once in training is like 60-75% so my "odds" are pretty good compared to the rest of the process all told.

In Canada, bids are per region. The Montréal region requires you to be bilingual and there is only one area control center (IFR controllers are here for those that don't know) and it's in Montréal. You can apply to move to one of the 6 other sectors in Canada but my bid and potential futur job will be based there to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakrai View Post
    Celebrating 911 by getting an ATC job. Hard fucking core.

Grats mate.
    LOL, I didn't even connect those two dots maybe I should call it off

Don't move to Albuquerque. I've seen Breaking Bad.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Nice work, congratulations!

Congrats, I'm a pilot and visited some towers before and seen first-hand how brutal the work can be in busy places. Good luck, be sure to put EVE FC on your resume.

Also lol at the frogs getting their stinky hooks into proper English aviation.

Are ATC in Canada still allowed to strike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Congrats. Personally, the weight of the sheer responsibility that would have rested on my shoulders at all times would have been enough to send me into constant anxiety attacks. But you'll do fine!

Nice one.

I’ve seen Pushing Tin, don’t go standing behind any landing 747s on your breaks
    If money was a chicken, would the chicken be evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Pirate View Post
    Nice one.

I’ve seen Pushing Tin, don’t go standing behind any landing 747s on your breaks
    But if you get a chance to bag Angelina Jolie you should!
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Oof that is one handful of a job.

Congratulations, may it be as smooth as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Oof that is one handful of a job.

Congratulations, may it be as smooth as possible.
    Handful?

Congrats mate! Good luck in the new job!

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs