hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CMV: The only reason you hate EPIC Store is you are lazy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    Hope Steam goes bust because they stopped supporting CS 1.6 and switched to CS Source. fucking disgusting.
    IT SHOULD NEVER HAVE GONE PAST BETA 5.2 PERFECTION!!!!! RABBLERABBLE
    ha i used to play on 56k, what AIDS. no AWPing for me as a result.
    I'd have to leave the downloads running overnight for the patches, and god forbid if someone tried to ring us (before mobile phones were a thing) and it disconneted the session - and the download, no download managers existed then to resume etc.

I did much raging when that did happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    All competition is good competition is a lazy liberal take. Cum in my vag.
    Especially when it's hardly real competition driven by customer choice and is instead just forcing people to use another exclusive supplier instead. Reminds me of recent trade wars where in reality everyone outside a couple loses entirely.
    I think with the "competition" take we're supposed to jack off real hard to the idea that a game dev can choose between two platforms instead of one. This will apparently fix gaming

but no one normal will care. even the weirdos here don't give a shit
    OTOH I really don't get why nerds love sucking the monopolistic dick of Gabe Newell so much. Valve convincing millions of basement dwellers they were good guys is one of the biggest PR successes of the digital era. Remember how they fought so hard against giving refunds they had to literally be taken to court?

And if you think Steam doesn't datamine your computer well..

Neither company are good actors here.
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; September 10 2019 at 09:52:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    All competition is good competition is a lazy liberal take. Cum in my vag.
    Especially when it's hardly real competition driven by customer choice and is instead just forcing people to use another exclusive supplier instead. Reminds me of recent trade wars where in reality everyone outside a couple loses entirely.
    I think with the "competition" take we're supposed to jack off real hard to the idea that a game dev can choose between two platforms instead of one. This will apparently fix gaming

but no one normal will care. even the weirdos here don't give a shit
    OTOH I really don't get why nerds love sucking the monopolistic dick of Gabe Newell so much. Valve convincing millions of basement dwellers they were good guys is one of the biggest PR successes of the digital era. Remember how they fought so hard against giving refunds they had to literally be taken to court?

And if you think Steam doesn't datamine your computer well..

Neither company are good actors here.
    comes down to if you wan the 'muricans to steal your bits and bytes or the chinkys.

Empire Strikes Back!

Looks like steam themselves are getting a little salty about the whole thing. TL;DR is that steam changed their distribution contract wording such that if a company signs and puts their game on steam for 'pre-order' or publication they can no longer turn around and sign an exclusive deal with other publishers for distribution. Note that the only reason they have to do this is that some of the games on Epic must have been under contractual agreement to distribute on steam but then abused a loophole that allowed them to simply not release it on the platform and we know that games like outer worlds and MW5 were advertising that they'd be on steam in pre-order phase only to reneg on those promises. Looks like Valve is taking steps to force devs to put their money where their mouth is.

Also, it's interesting to me how people are so up in arms about steams 30% cut, when the reason steam got so popular in the first place is that 10 years ago 30% was an insanely good deal for smaller devs and a number of them made a lot of money by retaining online distribution rights and marketing directly through steam which was giving them much more money per unit than a traditional publisher would.

Times change on what cut is a good deal and isn't, maybe steam will also adjust.

But glad that they made the above change, as it is a giant fuck you to your customer if you first let them pre-order on one platform and tell pull a bait and switch (includin promises about distribution on kickstarters)

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Times change on what cut is a good deal and isn't, maybe steam will also adjust.

But glad that they made the above change, as it is a giant fuck you to your customer if you first let them pre-order on one platform and tell pull a bait and switch (includin promises about distribution on kickstarters)
    True, but what's viable as a game has changed a lot too, there are whole genres that really only exist now because steam made the market viable for them, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the devs that complain about steam's cut wouldn't be able to even exist without them around, not that that makes it right but what we really need isn't epic's shady practices it's a real competitor with steam. MS has tried and failed a couple times, and that's because they aren't a company that knows how to market directly, but what surprises me is that amazon hasn't gotten in on it, they already have the technical infrastructure for distribution, and the storefront knowhow, I bet they could achieve feature parity with steam and beat them on price inside of six months if they felt like it...

Maybe Steam should stop allowing literally any piece of shit title to be on their platform. I've not had a gaming rig for about 5 years and coming back, Steam is a chore to browse for decent content.

The Epic store clearly needs some functionality but I'm pleased my first purchase was refunded after two emails, once requesting a refund, the second providing requested info.

No one made this much fuss about Origin or uPlay.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

didn't install origin or uplay or battle.net either...

steam and a little side-order of gog and I have way more games that might be interesting than I have time for.

And for the real test.... what about the Eve launcher?
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Spank View Post
    Which provides integrated and essential options for the game. Steam launches Elite, warthunder, paradox and wargaming games with their launchers too.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    Empire Strikes Back!

Looks like steam themselves are getting a little salty about the whole thing. TL;DR is that steam changed their distribution contract wording such that if a company signs and puts their game on steam for 'pre-order' or publication they can no longer turn around and sign an exclusive deal with other publishers for distribution. Note that the only reason they have to do this is that some of the games on Epic must have been under contractual agreement to distribute on steam but then abused a loophole that allowed them to simply not release it on the platform and we know that games like outer worlds and MW5 were advertising that they'd be on steam in pre-order phase only to reneg on those promises. Looks like Valve is taking steps to force devs to put their money where their mouth is.

Also, it's interesting to me how people are so up in arms about steams 30% cut, when the reason steam got so popular in the first place is that 10 years ago 30% was an insanely good deal for smaller devs and a number of them made a lot of money by retaining online distribution rights and marketing directly through steam which was giving them much more money per unit than a traditional publisher would.
    On one hand, it's unfair to customers to pay for a product and expect it to be delivered only to have to buy it again on another platform. On the other hand, these aren't gaming consoles, it costs literally nothing to download them (for now). Now, the real kicker is going to be if Epic manages to break Valve's monopoly on digital distribution and then implements a subscription model just to get access to their store.

The best approach is for studios to encourage customers to buy the game from them directly, like what CD Projekt Red does. No middlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    On the other hand, these aren't gaming consoles, it costs literally nothing to download them (for now). Now, the real kicker is going to be if Epic manages to break Valve's monopoly on digital distribution and then implements a subscription model just to get access to their store.

The best approach is for studios to encourage customers to buy the game from them directly, like what CD Projekt Red does. No middlemen.
    Not everyone can support the infrastructure for that, you know. That's the entire premise behind indy on steam.

Then again Witcher on GOG is basically the same deal as anything Valve on Steam since it also sells a lot of other games, frequently working on optimizing it for different OSs and whatnot.

Quit at the time the launcher became mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quit at the time the launcher became mandatory.
    I bet you're one of those guys who absolutely refuses to migrate to a new chat/social media platform until you have no choice

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar

yes they did i remember loads of people kicking off over origin. Uplay less so because they just kept their games on other platforms and used it as a launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post

yes they did i remember loads of people kicking off over origin. Uplay less so because they just kept their games on other platforms and used it as a launcher.
    Also those are notably for their own products only, which is a lot easier to accept.

Origin was a big point against buying BF4 for me because that shit ate approximately half of my ram at the time. Then i found out that bf4 is a hot mess and didn't touch anything EA for more than 30 minutes of pirated DAI and MEA ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Origin was a big point against buying BF4 for me because that shit ate approximately half of my ram at the time. Then i found out that bf4 is a hot mess and didn't touch anything EA for more than 30 minutes of pirated DAI and MEA ever since.
    Try it again on some sale, you can grab it for peanuts nowadays. DICE LA did a fantastic job patching it and right now it's the BF ever. And it's coming from someone who played a lot of BF2 and BFBC2.

Currently trying Gog Galaxy 2.0, got all my steam, gog, origin, uplay, epic games in one place.
    The moment I can see my friends list from steam there it will be the last time I used something else tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Voulture View Post
    Currently trying Gog Galaxy 2.0, got all my steam, gog, origin, uplay, epic games in one place.
    The moment I can see my friends list from steam there it will be the last time I used something else tbh.
    Still waiting for invite