hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: City of Heroes

Lightbulb City of Heroes

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php

City of Heroes is a superhero MMORPG that first came out in 2004 and ended in 2012. Most of you were most likely playing Eve at this time and probably never played this gem. You choose your class of hero or villain, each class has a primary and secondary powerset, and step into the character creator. This game has the best character creator in any I've ever played.

Another thing that sets CoH apart is it gets rid of the "holy trinity" of MMOs (tank, dps and heals). You don't need a dedicated healer to do any of the content. Some support sets reduce the damage you receive, others keep the enemy from hitting you.

But the best thing about CoH is the community. As I said servers were shut down in 2012. No one really knows why because as far as anyone can tell NCSoft was still making money off of the franchise. Well some players ended up getting the source code and playing on private servers. NCSoft handed out CnDs but someone leaked the source code to the public and now there are a lot of private servers out there. The one I linked to above is one of the largest. The Homecoming team has monthly donation drives where they itemize their expenses, complete with pictures, and cut off donations once they reach their monthly goal. They usually reach that goal (between 3-4000 dollars) in a day or two.

It's completely free right now. Not free-to-play but completely free. Try it out. The models and textures are outdated and some of the stories are pretty cheesy (or rip-offs of famous comic book storylines) but it has a lot of heart and one of the best communities.

Huh.
    Is it stable? (Other than the potential for legal things to land and squash it at any point - I'm meaning more with the team running the server and hopefully not being drama llamas.)

I loved CoV, may have to give this a go.

ooooh. I remember I spent most of my time in that game just rerolling new characters. Still had lots of fun tho.

Blast from the past.

Got 2 heroes to lvl 50, absolutely love this game.

Last thing i heard is they are on "secret negotiations" with NCsoft to adquire/run or whatever a complete legal server, i don't see this happening tho.

When I was in my early 20s my entire household (like 7 of us) played this game.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Fire/fire tank with tp was my jam

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Perma-XP debt was more my jam

Though i remember a lot of bubbles. and green swlrly shit.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Mastermind was always the way to go IIRC.