hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kerbal Space Programme 2

(Repost) From "BadNewsBaron", following an 8-person media conference with Star Theory:
    Modding: A major priority of development. Tools are being developed right now using Lua but the language isn't necessarily final. PQS+ has a ton of hooks for custom tools.

NO DRM on single player KSP. Can't comment on DRM for multi-player - still working on how account auth flows will work.

The entire simulation core has been rewritten. Multithreading has been addressed but I won't get into it because people define it differently. Way fewer bottlenecks, much more optimized is the idea.

There is no plan to introduce premium currencies, loot boxes, other "freemium" sort of stuff. The plan is to stick to KSP1's content release style.

Note on the trailer: Everything in that trailer is an in game asset. The engine shown at the beginning around the mun is metallic hydrogen and a bridge tech between the KSP1 and KSP2 technologies.

Kerbin's overall geography is the same. Other planets have had facelifts to give additional geographic history. The kerbin system has the same bodies. The game engine now allows for axial tilts.

Overall design philosophy behind terrain: "No two landing sites should feel the same."

Also - moonlight shadows. Small but cool.

How many new systems: "Multiple."

You can now create rockets in individual sections and piece them together. Yay QOL! There is also blueprint style build mode that makes placing and aligning parts easier. The VAB is overall much much larger.

Binary. Planets. At least possible with modding, we didn't see any official systems other than kerbin, but the potential was demoed.

On ease of access: Relax, this is still Kerbal, it hasn't been dumbed down at all. Seriously, it is in great hands.

The UI and new user experience is totally redone. Tutorials are fully guided and even animated, sort of in a Hitchhiker's Guide style. It looked cool.

The new Maneuever element on the HUD is a 3D representation of your ships orientation in regards to prograde, normal, etc. Useful.

Colonies: You can build anywhere you can land. You don't need flat ground. Colonies are built, not grown, and will need resources supplied in order to build Colony buildings and any rockets/vehicles you build at them.

Colony population does not grow over time. Colonists are brought in manually. Colonists also - ahem - multiply when you accomplish something and give them a reason to celebrate. Bottom line is you can't fast forward to grow population.

PC optimization comes first in development. Consoles need additional attention to make them feel native and not like a port, but that is important to them. Console players, you are a priority and you'll get love. They know the problems with KSP1 console.

Much higher part counts are going to be available but they can't give numbers at this stage of development.

Kerbals experience force! You can see it in their portraits and cockpit view. They even black out. And scream and flail in terror. They're much more animated and expressive, and have emotes you can use as well.

Planet rings have big rocks. Felt a bit like Elite, was pretty cool.

Bottom line-- Going in I was afraid that like so many sequels it would be "streamlined" by stripping away elements. It's absolutely not the case. This is Kerbal. Breathe easy. We were on the same page with all questions and concerns (and our group had a lot). They got this.

Hype intensifies. Seriously considering whether this will be the second game I preorder ever.

Fuck. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Ass ass ass.

I think I'm more hyped for this than M&B 2.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Calm yer horse

But yeah, this looks p. promising

The really good news is they're actively engaging with the modding community. They actually invited a bunch to their office for a chat yesterday.

Wasn't an interview, but was more of a round table of modders and influencers giving their feedback on the new game so far. PQS plus is a big jump in the right direction. Although they didn't go into detail, the new system will be fully documented for us to go through upon release. Since this system was built from the ground up, they fully understand what they are doing and will make sure that info is easily accessible.

As for native planet creation, it was brought up, and they said they have been looking at and studying Kopernicus, and a few people in the room made it very clear they want it in the stock game, but we didn't get a concrete yes or no.

I doubt hot air balloons will be a thing. The devs kept reiterating that KSP is a rocket game first and foremost.

Currently, the way the cfgs are written is in lua, and can be loading dynamically, but they did state that it may change as what we were seeing was a debug menu for the engineers

Multiplayer, they were very hush hush about it

Clouds and Scatterer look like they may be stock now, but they wouldn't give a definitive yes or no, but they were in every single video they showed us

Planet shine is stock though, and it looks amazing. The reflected light from the moon is quite amazing at night.

They aren't brining on modders as staff, no, and they are building things from scratch, but everything is being done with modding in mind. The amount of stuff that will be available to us to mod is astounding. They know modders are what sell this game especially in mid to late life of the game

The game so far is truly Kerbal, and truly amazing. I was very sceptical going in, but came out at ease. You can tell these guys were fans before they every got the contract to make ksp2 and they get it. And what's great is that they aren't just fans, they are actual game developers that have been doing this for a long time, not a group of people that are throwing a game together and Frankensteining things together after the fact.

However, with the way the planets look now, it might be putting a lot of planet modders out of business. They are that good. From scaled space to the surface. The original bodies layouts and continents are all the same. Emissives are stock for lava bodies and whatnot

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Calm yer horse

camel

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Calm yer horse

camel
    Is a horse designed by a comittee

But yesh, I too am looking forward to comittee designed horses

Another video by Illectro Sctt Manly

One of the comments on the video suggests that a petition be started to have Scott do the tutorial voiceover, which would be probably the most awesome thing ever to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Ass ass ass.

Scott Manley is Gene Kerman, c/d?

Scott Manley is Scott kerbin

But yes

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

I would totally be ok with that.