hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Router Recommendations?

Router Recommendations?

I need to set my Virgin hub to pass through as the wifi performance/coverage is shocking in my house.

Has anyone got recommendations for a wifi hub/router? I've got cat6 running to the office, but in many points of the house, I'm using 4g on my phone because the connection is flaky.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Netgear Nighthawk, I guess?

The problem might be that you're trying to use 5 GHz instead of 2.4 GHz. 5 GHz is faster but has less penetration and range.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Netgear Nighthawk, I guess?

The problem might be that you're trying to use 5 GHz instead of 2.4 GHz. 5 GHz is faster but has less penetration and range.
    ^^ What he said.

I got a ASUS AC-3200 router, very happy with it.
    They are also very quick with updates when something needs patching.
    The Epic Store is amazing, I've been able to save so much money by not buying their games.

AVM. Perhaps the better known household name is their kits' name Fritz!Box

Stable as hell (I've been using their products since > 2 decades). Quick updates, even for their older (no longer sold) product lines, if needed. Also, their products do work good together, e.g. I run some PowerLine adapters to bridge walls. You can manage those from within the router's admin interface. If you prefer that type of thing, there are also some Android apps interacting with the devices available.

My Nighthawk R7000 requires a reboot every once in a blue moon but other than that it's rock stable in all the years I've had it (kinda lost count, it's way out of warranty). Still receives OTA updates for the firmware which are click and go, lots of configurable options and what not and the signal could reach the parking area through several walls if properly positioned (not interested in properly positioning it for that tho ).
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    I need to set my Virgin hub to pass through as the wifi performance/coverage is shocking in my house.

Has anyone got recommendations for a wifi hub/router? I've got cat6 running to the office, but in many points of the house, I'm using 4g on my phone because the connection is flaky.
    Id recommend Ubiquiti Unifi Access points to cover wifi shitness in a property.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Ne...5CXS7PNNE5RXVH

Linksys ACM-3200, love mine and it's ddwrt friendly right out of the box

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

I have a full Ubiquiti UniFi setup at home. The WiFi signal goes beyond the garden.
    How to tell the difference between Machine Learning and AI:
    If it is written in Python it is most likely Machine Learning.
    If it is written in PowerPoint it is most likely AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

Id recommend Ubiquiti Unifi Access points to cover wifi shitness in a property.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Ne...5CXS7PNNE5RXVH
    Plus one. Everyone at work (including me) swears by Ubiquiti stuff now. We mostly use the Unifi stuff because we can piggyback on work's orders, but the AmpliFi home gear is supposed to be just as good. Plug in mesh extenders and a shiny box. Dead simple.

FWIW if the virgin super hub isn't doing it for coverage, just replacing it with another wifi AP won't do much different. They're cranking out max power and they're (whisper it quietly) actually quite good at pointing it in the right direction. You're probably just best off getting a powerline extender instead of dropping several hundred quid on a soho network setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    The "don't tinker at home" mantra in here is good.

If you have the power for it, I can recommend power line. I throw my wifi network to a detached building on my property with it. Works well. You do need relatively clean power though.
    meh

Zero 5ghz signal in certain corners of the 1st floor, 2ghz signal is at best, 20mbps, completely dropping out at the other end.

Haven't had the greatest of luck with powerlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    AVM. Perhaps the better known household name is their kits' name Fritz!Box

Stable as hell (I've been using their products since > 2 decades). Quick updates, even for their older (no longer sold) product lines, if needed. Also, their products do work good together, e.g. I run some PowerLine adapters to bridge walls. You can manage those from within the router's admin interface. If you prefer that type of thing, there are also some Android apps interacting with the devices available.
    Seconded. Also been using their stuff since the days of ISDN.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget