hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilmar and co. tempting me to resub?

Hilmar and co. tempting me to resub?

https://www.talkinginstations.com/20...out-interview/
    Highlights thanks to reddit:

02:25 - Hilmar: "We're actually experiencing right now in the month of July, MAU and DAU the highest it's ever been in the last five years" - (DAU/MAU = Daily/Monthly active users).

04:50 - Hilmar: "Blackout is accomplishing their goals for this year, one of those goals is to make the game easier for new players and more challenging for veteran players, eve nullsec gameplay has been completely figured out and thus causing stagnancy"

06:30 - Hilmar: "It's now much easier for them to track data and make hypothesis from that data, and thus they are going to do more experiments. previously they overthink everything and thus move way too slow, CCP going to do more changes like blackout in the future"

08:00 - Hilmar: "overtime the chaos of eve online has been drained into order, the sand in the sandbox has turned into cement, eve online will enter into a new chaos era"

10:40 - Responding to Carneros asking about if more experiments will take place soon. Hilmar: "We want you on your toes, we want you to feel like the blanket is being pulled from under you every single week, your heart rate is going up, you need to take stress medicine to keep focused, that is the chaos era, and it is on".

Chaos Era repeated a bunch.

12:20 - Falcon: The Pendulum has swung too far to the safety side and then stopped. I see Nullsec as a wasteland of people who've embedded in, who are happy in their little bubbles, making shit tons of ISK, under conditions safer than empire space. Capital umbrellas mean they can do whatever they want all day, I think we need to be in a position where a lot more unpredictably is throw in, rattle the cage, see who survives and who doesn't. This goes for lowsec too.

14:15 - Falcon: Eve if up to me, would be a very harsh dark dystopian place where bad stuff happens, eve should be an absolute hellscape of terribleness.

15:20 - Hilmar: "The world as we built it was static, because we never thought we'd be running eve for decades, we're 16 years in and we're limited by the initial conditions of the game. We need to empower eve-online with natural chaos built into the system. procedural regeneration should be built into eve and ideally it should freak we (CCP) out as to what is going on.

19:40 - Hilmar: (On Resource depletion) - We need procedural regeneration, in nature when you strip mine you destroy the environment, we should have offensive mining where you destroy your opponents environments like in real life wars. Right now the system is too static. Players have become too self-sufficient, originally we had asymmetric resource distribution, then we changed it to symmetric distribution.

24:45 - 28:00 - When asked about transitioning more risk averse players who are resistant to change over to the new chaos era of eve Hilmar: When we launched the new 64bit client I was surprised by how many players immediately started using it, over 40%. There was not many real immediate benefits and it was an opt-in beta that didn't directly affect the gameplay of most people adopting it. Because of that, we believe we have far more innovators playing eve than we original thought. That gave me a different way to think about it, based on the influx and based on the response to the relatively crazy things over the summer, the response and data has been very positive. We have much less risk averse people than you might think. Eve is designed as a difficulty mountain, but the mountain is broken. It doesn't go high enough, and it also doesn't go low enough.

30:20 - CCP Goodfella - The stagnation makes people more risk averse than they actually are in their natural habitat, eve players in general are hardcore and they will adapt to the chaos. We are seeing players coming back to the game because we're shaking things up.

34:35 - CCP Falcon - the MER for July and August will look very bizarre due to the Blackout. Even when you filter out the login campaign from the data, it's incredible to see activity is still there. ISK generated from bounties is down massively, but that player activity is still there it has just shifted to other activities as players have adapted. We believe blackout has a been a enormous success.

37:30 - Hilmar - There is going to be a lot of different things coming in the coming weeks that will destabilise the system further, so people will constantly have new things to deal with.

41:20 - Hilmar - Much more rapid fire action from CCP than you're used to, ideally something should be changing every week, some sweeping changes some will be widely unpopular, some will be wildly popular behind the scenes, we will be bringing about a different state which I strongly believe eve needs right now. Over the next 18 months we will be a wildly different position than we were at the beginning of the year.

42:40 - Falcon - the map needs a huge shakeup, we need to create conflict, people have built their sandcastles, now they need to fight for them.

44:30 - Falcon - We don't need an eve classic or an eve 2. We have a great game and community, we just need to make the right changes.

51:30+ - Falcon - Want to make gathering intel more of a player skill rather than something that the game automatically gives you through ESI/ingame data. The hardcore element of the game is still here and he has hope.

1:06:00 - Hilmar - The more tools you give to players, the more large scale impersonal groups you can create. A small startup is more engaging and endearing than a huge conglomerate. We should make you have to trust players more so you get stabbed in the back more, make trusting people more important. Trust should be the fundamental currency in eve. We want eve to be the game where you always win in the most trusted, tight knit group.

1:13:30 - Hilmar: - A lot of designers in CCP are interested in FW tweaks/changes, he personally joined the factional warfare discord and sees a lot potential in a few quick changes
    Discussion about first 30 days and bad UX design etc.

1:25:00 - Hilmar: - Future of agency drugs and events asked, Hilmar talks about FW, Roams, and 'Seasons'. CCP have been doing experiments in the closed beta in China, because it's a beta it can be wiped, so have been doing crazy events and collecting data. Agency events may come back in force.

Technical Improvements asked about, Hilmar mentions 64 Bit eve client was a big project that's finished, now they're working towards Direct 12 client, Combat improvements in Dogma, Upgrading a lot of backend network stuff/middlewear etc. Upgrading visual studio etc which will help development things faster.

1:29:18 - Hilmar: ISK faucets and sinks out of whack, too much ISK in the system, there are a lot of fundamental economy problems that they will address. PLEX prices are rising and out of whack because of the value of ISK is falling, because work in eve is not valuable enough. We need to put risk up to make ISK more valuable. The richest 1% in eve is way too powerful, it's worse than reality. Cruel but Fair. The next 6 months will focus a lot on the economy.

New fleet finder, social discovery tools mentioned. ISK is too easy to come by.

1:32:20 - when asked about how to make ISK making harder - Hilmar Take away the comfort players have when making ISK, players sense of security (blackout). Bots were affected massively by the blackout, although they are changing tactics, CCP will keep focusing on botters and making life uncomfortable for them.

1:35:20 - Falcon And if you're not willing to go out into nullsec and take a risk then you don't belong in nullsec. you should move back to empire if you want to mine in safety. Lawless space should have risk.

1:36:30 - Falcon People who said they were unsubbing their 50 accounts didn't actually unsub and things actually stabilised after awhile they were just taken out of their comfort zone temporarily and needed that push. (Shocked pikachu face)

A lot of older players returned because of blackout confirmed in the data.

Hilmar is not a big fan of making an eve classic. He feels like it's a cop-out for building a proper ecosystem to keep players engaged, difficulty mountain mentioned again. Eve should be a single sharded persistent universe experience. People who want Eve Classic should be able to get the gameplay they want in their current eve online.

Questions asked about if CCP should delay ESI/API information.

1:44:30 - Falcon We spoon feed too much information. Living in nullsec is currently safer than living in highsec in the right area.

1:46:50 - Falcon We should kill asset safety, I believe if you put something down into space, if it gets destroyed it's gone. A lot of people will disagree and risks will be too high. Hilmar The fact that we have NPC stations with infinite amounts of storage space is a huge cop out. We had something earlier on that we had to remove that limited how much you got store in NPC stations. Now with asset safety and citadels you can have billions of ISK in capitals with no limit no upkeep and all safe. You can accumulate too many things. To have such much weapons of war you need fuel to power them, the fact that you can just have titans lying around is not natural and not good gameplay. Something needs to be done, it's not natural, it's not eve.
    Holy shit.

A lot of talk but not a lot of walk so far. And EvE is way too time consuming for actual adult life tbh. But idk, maybe something is going to happen?
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Someone's got their hand up the Hilmar puppet and for once I like what I'm hearing!

Cosmin, tbh they did just do no-local nullsec, and said they'd keep it if it went well, and are saying it was a big success by internal metrics...

P.S.
    People who want Eve Classic should be able to get the gameplay they want in their current eve online.
    Lowsec BC & BS small gang brawling when/how?
    Last edited by Daneel Trevize; July 27 2019 at 10:39:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

I’d love to return but there’s just not enough time in the day unfortunately.

They're saying the right things. I guess we should see how it pans out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    They're saying the right things. I guess we should see how it pans out.
    Never mind what Hilmar says, let's see what he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Looks promising, only thing stopping me from undcking is that i lack 20% dps without Omega clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I dont get it, I join two fleets a week and have a great time these days without feeling like I dont have time for the game. This whole wh living has made things way less stressfull then in the old days.

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

Really good podcast. Well worth a listen. A++ would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Armyofme View Post
    I dont get it, I join two fleets a week and have a great time these days without feeling like I dont have time for the game. This whole wh living has made things way less stressfull then in the old days.
    Well, I’m happy for you, but I only have weekends - and they’re sacrosanct.

Depends on the job you're working, commute time and what not. TBH atm my commute is 3h round trip, I'd rather castrate myself than log in to EvE when I get home during the week

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Depends on the job you're working, commute time and what not. TBH atm my commute is 3h round trip, I'd rather castrate myself than log in to EvE when I get home during the week
    One of our fleets is during the weekend if you want
    And I used to have a 50min commute, which I loved (no kids in the car, and I could listen to the music as loud as I fucking wanted), but yeah 90min trip each way would be to much. Must be better to move then, wouldnt it?
    Last edited by Armyofme; July 28 2019 at 09:18:28 PM.

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

Not yet. But I am tempted to return tbh. I miss flying my Vindicator and Bhaal so much it hurts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A small group of us have been playing again.

It's easier than ever to plex your account and the blackout has been kind of brilliant. Lots of changes to get used to but most of it is positive.

Can't believe I'm saying it...

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

I'll consider resubbing when they've got a coherent plan for lowsec/FW.

NPC nullsec seems pretty aids and I cba with coalition shit. WH space requires micromanaging bookmarks and dropping probes every 30 seconds which makes me feel physically ill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I ressubed two accounts to check it all out.

Forgot how to probe, spent 20-30 min looking for a ship, managed to get a 100% result on a proteus after all (was aiming for a tempest....) But he had warped out before i landed to have a look. I wasn´t really trying to catch anyone just relearn mechanics and new scan/probe window.

But im somewhat interested in fiddling around a bit.

Page me when there's a omega clone compatible ganknight

MI8m8

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Page me when there's a omega clone compatible ganknight

MI8m8
    Surely you mean Alpha clone.
    nevar forget

Whatever the free one is yeah

Hippity hoppity there's now a 5% transaction tax for selling in NPC property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!