hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

Thread: Baldur's Gate 3, by Larian Studios

  1. #1

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,010

    Baldur's Gate 3, by Larian Studios

    Updated, now with proper trailer.

    So this is a thing.

    Set 100 years after the events of the original games, Baldur's Gate 3 will utilize Dungeons and Dragon's 5th Edition Rules. But that doesn't mean that Baldur's Gate 3 will be an isometric RPG like BioWare's old Infinity Engine games. Rather, it will have its own identity, Larian founder Swen Vincke tells USG. "We're going to have some things that you haven't seen yet in CRPGs, which I would love to talk about, but I'm going to hold it," Vincke says.


    And we have ALL the tentacles. And CoOp confirmed.

    https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3-co-op


    Larian revealed their upcoming Dungeons & Dragon CRPG Baldur’s Gate 3, and if you’re a fan of tabletop campaigning there’s probably one big question you’re now asking yourself: can I play it with my hearty party of adventurers? Well, according to Larian founder and head Swen Vincke, the answer is yes, as Baldur’s gate 3 will have a co-operative play mode.
    Well now...

    BG3 is almost 100% a thing, made by Larian it seems. Not even mad.

    Was about time with this age of remakes. At least it's with a great studio.

    Last edited by Isyel; June 6 2019 at 05:36:11 PM.

  2. #2
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Well now...

    BG3 is almost 100% a thing, made by Larian it seems. Not even mad.

    Was about time with this age of remakes. At least it's with a great studio.

    Divinity 2 was imo much better BG succesor than PoE. Who thought copying decade old interface and mechanics to score some cheap nostalgia points is good choice?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,010
    Idk, both were great.

    And it hardly had the same interface, not sure what you mean.

    If it's dislike for the real time with pause combat, I get it, even if i personally absolutely prefer it to turn based. But then Larian probably made the only turn based game i didn't hate the combat in, so whatever they do is fine for me in this case. :P
    Last edited by Isyel; May 31 2019 at 12:43:15 PM.

  4. #4
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,541
    I mean things that Larian did right and innovated. For example BG and PoE had drawn, so noniteractive, environments. Larian on the other hand added a lot interaction with them and how spells affect them. We are no longer limited by hardware to not include it.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,010
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    I mean things that Larian did right and innovated. For example BG and PoE had drawn, so noniteractive, environments. Larian on the other hand added a lot interaction with them and how spells affect them. We are no longer limited by hardware to not include it.
    Ah that's fair.

    Yeah I have a super sweet spot in my heart for Larian and how they do shit so I'm glad this is happening with them.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,959
    Hated the camera in OS2 where things were hidden and you had to pan around this and that way, also the plot and characters weren't that interesting, combat had some nice interactions with the surfaces but having to pretty much choose to go either magic or physical damage was meh.

    Liked PoE1 way way more than OS2, PoE2 on the other hand was a let-down at release, but the turn based mode on the most recent PoE2 patch is quite interesting, but that game still lacks any story on the NPC companions at all.

    That said having recently replayed BG1+2 I don't miss their "oh, you didn't come completely prepared, now die!" encounters and possible traps where wrong choices in early game lead to impossible late game. The story is what makes BG2 and the hand-drawn maps are still nice even this day, compared to fast-aging early 3d engines like in never winter.

  7. #7
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Hated the camera in OS2 where things were hidden and you had to pan around this and that way, also the plot and characters weren't that interesting, combat had some nice interactions with the surfaces but having to pretty much choose to go either magic or physical damage was meh.

    Liked PoE1 way way more than OS2, PoE2 on the other hand was a let-down at release, but the turn based mode on the most recent PoE2 patch is quite interesting, but that game still lacks any story on the NPC companions at all.

    That said having recently replayed BG1+2 I don't miss their "oh, you didn't come completely prepared, now die!" encounters and possible traps where wrong choices in early game lead to impossible late game. The story is what makes BG2 and the hand-drawn maps are still nice even this day, compared to fast-aging early 3d engines like in never winter.
    At that point in time that is no longer the case. 3d engines are so advanced now, the only thing left is ray tracing. Look at Bioshock screenshot and compare the graphics to what we have now. It's as old now as Quake 1 was compared to it.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,010
    The tech itself isn't as important as the art direction. We've had some absolutely spectacular looking indies lately.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,959
    Still prefer the hand drawn look of PoE and not having to peek around with a camera because someone felt it was good thing hiding stuff behind objects or having to adjust the camera constantly in fights just to see more than one creature at a time.

  10. #10
    Shaftoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Ships
    Posts
    1,835
    This seems sweet!

    Larian did really well with the Original Sin series. I would love to see what they do with an established IP

  11. #11
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,541
    Them contracting Avellone to write it is pretty much given. Can't wait.

  12. #12
    Voulture's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,251
    Well slap my ass and call me Susan, I am all hype

  13. #13
    Ashaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 29, 2011
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Voulture View Post
    Well slap my ass and call me Susan, I am all hype
    Different words than I was about to use, but.. yea. What he said.


    Fuck me I'm hype!
    I made a grown up version of SQUEEEE when I saw the topic.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,010
    It's *technically* not confirmed yet, mind, but a lot pointed to it being true on the site, and in other ways. Plus the speed at which they removed it makes you go :thonk:
    Last edited by Isyel; May 31 2019 at 10:24:10 PM.

  15. #15
    Donor lubica's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    On the shitty side of the Alps
    Posts
    4,990
    You're both Susans. And so am I.
    HYYYPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE


    Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,180
    If the writing holds up im hype. The tech from OS2 is perfectly fine for a BG sucessor imo.

    If its still unannounced then its probably (hopefully) an E3 reveal, and something like 1-2 years out still.

  17. #17
    Nobody_Holme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    On a Bote
    Posts
    5,810
    BG3, old DND universe (fuck the new one), DOS2 engine. I would literally piss money into that becoming a thing.

    Mechanics to backstab people again also on my want list. Still not even mad about how Bent won the DOS2 game. Would like to do that again but in a new game.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    BG3, old DND universe (fuck the new one), DOS2 engine. I would literally piss money into that becoming a thing.

    Mechanics to backstab people again also on my want list. Still not even mad about how Bent won the DOS2 game. Would like to do that again but in a new game.
    Well seeing as it's an officially licensed game and how they tend to be, it would absolutely be modern Forgotten Realms I'd think.

  19. #19
    Nobody_Holme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    On a Bote
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    BG3, old DND universe (fuck the new one), DOS2 engine. I would literally piss money into that becoming a thing.

    Mechanics to backstab people again also on my want list. Still not even mad about how Bent won the DOS2 game. Would like to do that again but in a new game.
    Well seeing as it's an officially licensed game and how they tend to be, it would absolutely be modern Forgotten Realms I'd think.
    I know. Which will make me sad.

    Going to hold out hope they go for universe consistency and stick to the old, but expecting the new crap instead. Ho hum.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,010
    Meh FR was always full of complete ridiculous nonsense. It all depends on how they use it.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •