hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cricket (does anyone understand it?) thread - ashes HYPE edition.

what an absolute surprise...
    psycho freak > BBC fleet

Fucking hell. Tms paints a picture. Vaughan says Roy is like an alcoholic made to stand around in a bar covered in drinks . He tried as hard as he could" lasted an hour sober In 5 day test.....

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
    You have been banned for the following reason:
    calling xenosis a spazlord (five infractions)

Date the ban will be lifted: February 8 2013, 02:00:00 PM

I cant believe Overton was almost given out LBW there... 3rd umpire smoking crack
    psycho freak > BBC fleet

Quote Originally Posted by BOOLER View Post
    I cant believe Overton was almost given out LBW there... 3rd umpire smoking crack
    It's highly unlikely that we would have survived 15 overs with one wicket. The issue is the team they are selecting, I am sure the selectors will now make changes as it is too late to get the ashes.

As people have pointed out we need to change the way we coach and manage the test team and also look at the county championship fixtures.

Yeah, I was referring to a specific LBW that Overton referred an on the replays it showed definite bad -> pad and the 3rd umpire for some reason took it to ball tracking. Dont know what commentators were saying as I was at work so sound was low

Either way its all such an anti-climax after the world cup. And I don't think Overton surviving a few overs at the end there justifies his selection in the next test, he should have never been in that position to begin with. Although I still fully expect him to be there in the next test knowing our selectors.

Camera zoomed in on James Taylor several times yesterday, I can only guess what was said by commentary.
    psycho freak > BBC fleet

It definitely feels like Australia spent the past couple of years preparing for this series where as England only even started thinking about after the World Cup hangovers had cleared.

I still do not understand the rationale of adding Roy to the top order batting lineup. I don't think I ever will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

"England have 1-2 too many ODI players in their lineup" /quote
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

The ECB ruining the county championship is why we have Roy, Bairstow and Buttler in a red ball team which needs two of them at the absolute most (as batsmen). If we had those three competing for a single place in the test team we'd be able to get the best out of them. I still think Buttler is the better wicket keeper too.

They did the same with Adil Rashid a couple of years ago, he's a great wicket taking spinner with the white ball because of his variations. They put him in the test team where he needed to build pressure over time and hold an end for extended periods of time and it was just setting him up for failure.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Squad unchanged for final test...
    psycho freak > BBC fleet

Are you joking? I don't even want to look that up to confirm it.

Roy and Overton out, Stokes batting at 4 but can't bowl due to injury. Woakes and Curran in.

I really hope Curran turns out to be the bowler who can trouble Smith with his different angle.

Having a left handed bowler for a bit of variation makes such a difference, Curran looked good all day and was bowling quicker than I ever remember him capable of. Strange off day for Broad but Archer excellent again.

Really need to get 2 players in at the top of the order, Denly is not it, I would rather have a promising young player not scoring runs than someone who only has a few years left. How is Pope doing these days?
    psycho freak > BBC fleet

Pope hasn't played much since he dislocated his shoulder in April (or May?). He looks pretty good technically but I have no idea about his mindset.

Sibley has scored his thousand runs this season, but I'm not sure if there something holding the selectors back. Possibly a lack of confidence against real place?

Sibley sounds like he deserves a go, never seen him bat tbh but Denly is not even remotely convincing. Even when he gets 'in' he has been relying on luck and dropped catches. One of Bairstow or Buttler (i'd go Barstow) dropped for someone to come in at 3 or 4.
    Burns seems to have nailed his place averaging 30something this series, not a great average but at least he seems willing to bat a while and got a couple decent scores.
    psycho freak > BBC fleet

All in - i'm not sure if the Ashes was quite the disaster it could have been, possibly as Australia have just as many problems vs a decent red ball than we do.

The arrival of Jack leach as a cult cartoon hero, Archer proving that yes, he does fit at the very top level. stokes being stokes. Broad beingn Broad. Burns being a decent opener. Denly is probably a 3. Roy being tried, then dropped. Curran proving he should have been there all year.

There is a future for english test cricket.
    Last edited by Itiken; September 16 2019 at 07:47:09 AM.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Bayliss leaving gives a huge opportunity for a proper red ball coach to take over too.

In my eyes I just feel disappointment as the Aussie team, aside from Cummins/Smith don't look anything special at all, I was expecting Warner to be a problem but Broad had his life. It feels like a lost opportunity, they do have good players of course but nothing that we should have been overly worried about.
    Roy and Bairstow were below par, and Roy should never have been anywhere near opening. Denly got 2 50's which were beyond lucky, and when we really needed him to stick around and get some runs he got himself out carelessly driving to deliveries he should be leaving. Buttler was hit and miss, mostly miss but was batting with the tail so I can understand him getting out trying to get some fast runs on the board. I think Woakes wasn't used enough considering he seemed to be the only one capable of getting smith out. Curran was impressive in the final test.

With Archer, Root, Stokes and Broad we have the core of a really excellent test team, sadly I don't think we will see much more of Anderson considering hes getting on for 40.

Also, Sibley casually opening and batting out Warwickshire innings ending with 215 n/o
    psycho freak > BBC fleet

It was a huge missed opportunity and the worst thing is it seems to come down to selection.

England have announced their central contracts:

Test and ODI/T20 contracts: Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Test contracts: James Anderson (Lancashire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Sam Curran (Surrey),

ODI/T20 contracts: Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Joe Denly (Kent), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Mark Wood (Durham).

Incremental contracts: Tom Curran (Surrey), Jack Leach (Somerset).

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    England have announced their central contracts:

Test and ODI/T20 contracts: Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Test contracts: James Anderson (Lancashire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Sam Curran (Surrey),

ODI/T20 contracts: Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Joe Denly (Kent), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Mark Wood (Durham).

Incremental contracts: Tom Curran (Surrey), Jack Leach (Somerset).
    Good to see literally nothing has been learnt. What is most disappointing about the Ashes is that I think if we played the right players and put them in the right place we could of won the series.