hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket (does anyone understand it?) thread - ashes HYPE edition.

He's doing county and maybe back for the 4th
    ?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    He's doing county and maybe back for the 4th
    ?
    Our bowling attack is in form and he is a liability. Better he goes and plays a county game to show he can bowl 20 overs a day to prove he is fit.

Agreed. I recon that forcing him back too quickly would be the end of him :'(

Who would you drop for him? Woakes seems the obvious option based on his last couple of spells but it would feel harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I'd like to see Broad, Woakes, Wood, Archer as a lineup. It's time for broad to step up from "occasionally brilliant" to consistently excellent.

And use Denly and Root as part time spin options?
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

fuck man i don't know. lets see

1. Burns
    2. Roy
    3. Denly
    4. Root
    5. Stokes
    6. Baristow
    7. Woakes
    8. Broad
    9. Archer
    10. Wood
    11. Leach

It's like building an Infinity list. you always feel you are one short.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    fuck man i don't know. lets see

1. Burns
    2. Roy
    3. Denly
    4. Root
    5. Stokes
    6. Baristow
    7. Woakes
    8. Broad
    9. Archer
    10. Wood
    11. Leach

It's like building an Infinity list. you always feel you are one short.
    Wood is out all summer following knee surgery after world cup. I think Roy can't open and not convinced about Denly.

Well that sucks i thought he was just being rested.
    Not convinced about denly either, but *shrug*

Wood spent about a year with coaches working on changing his technique to reduce wear and tear on his shoulder and now he's having knee surgery. He can't catch a break.

That was a fine collapse, and I've seen a few.

gg Archer. I am for now convinced

How many times does our top order have to fail before the selectors admit Roy is not working, Root should be at 4/5 and Denly needs to go.

This is what happens when you have an opening batsman who doesn't kill the new ball. You end up with the rest of the top order facing a brand new ball early in the morning session.

None of this selection makes any sense. I'd rather see 1,2 and 3 consisting of opening county batsmen who sit there all morning and let Root come in at 4 to a 50 over old ball even if there's only 60 runs on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    This is what happens when you have an opening batsman who doesn't kill the new ball. You end up with the rest of the top order facing a brand new ball early in the morning session.

None of this selection makes any sense. I'd rather see 1,2 and 3 consisting of opening county batsmen who sit there all morning and let Root come in at 4 to a 50 over old ball even if there's only 60 runs on the board.
    Yup, Burns has done ok, he's not going to be world class but he does a job, but we need to have 3 openers and maybe just maybe we can get to lunch only 2 down. Root was got out, the rest got themselves out with poor shots to good bowling.

If we lose this game we should be looking to sack Bayliss from the test side management and also possibly changes to the selectors.

Bayliss is going before the next test series anyway.

We need a separate test coach, but the ECB are sticking to a single coach for all formats from what I last heard.

Bayliss is going before the next test series anyway.

We need a separate test coach, but the ECB are sticking to a single coach for all formats from what I last heard.
    And Bayliss is stuck in one day mode, which is why we end up with a team of aggressive batsman who get stuck if its not a flat track and lots of bits and pieces players, useful for one day games not useful for tests.

Bayliss has been a poor test coach since day one. Any success England had under him is despite of him in my opinion.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...-broken-system - there is very little I can disagree with in this article and the stats are quite damning.

I sort of disagree with the statement about county cricket not producing test openers considering there hasn't been any movement to pick several opening county batsmen except burns. Usually they keep sticking in players batting for their counties several positions lower in the order like they did it with Vince, Malan, ballance and hales.

Why are the likes of Sibley and crawley not being called up?

I sort of disagree with the statement about county cricket not producing test openers considering there hasn't been any movement to pick several opening county batsmen except burns. Usually they keep sticking in players batting for their counties several positions lower in the order like they did it with Vince, Malan, ballance and hales.

Why are the likes of Sibley and crawley not being called up?
    The problem is first class cricket is now played April/May Late August/October, this is when the pitches tend to be greener and softer allowing the ball to do a lot more, consequently the batsman are playing with the mentality that there is a ball with their name on it so play more aggressively risky shot losing the traditional opener mentality of grinding down the bowling. Maybe its confirmation bias but I've seen teams skittled more the last couple seasons than before.

I have no idea why Sibley isn't given a go, Crawley is more raw but shows promise. Both played in the lions (England development team) and got 70's opening, both are proper openers. I guess in proud tradition the selectors won't change a team until the series is lost.