hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket (does anyone understand it?) thread - ashes HYPE edition.

Cricket (does anyone understand it?) thread - ashes HYPE edition.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time - there is going to be months of great radio to listen to at work between this and the Ashes.

A top start from England too, going 1-1. Favourites ftw.
    Last edited by Itiken; August 24 2019 at 07:45:07 PM.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Smart move opening the bowling with Tahir against Buttler and Roy. They like a bit of pace on the ball to get the run rate going in the first power play, putting the leggy in cramps them slightly.

England bat so deep they can lose a few wicket early and still score 400+ so this isn't a problem. They have plenty of bowlers in every team they are capable of targeting and the top 6 can score runs all around the ground.

It must be horrible bowling against this England side, they can so easily get away from you with just a single partnership and that can be any combination of 8 batsmen.
    Last edited by Keckers; May 30 2019 at 10:15:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Growing up with cricket in the 80's & 90's - all our powers came from one or two batters / bowlers then when they have a bad day it's all over.
    Seeing the likes of Kholi single-handedly carry India through tour after tour remind me of that.

The addition of Archer to this England team fills the only gap they had, leaving a seam bowler of Willey's standard out of the squad shows how strong they are. The only real weakness is a possible lack of cover for Adil Rashid, but England has never really produced decent leggies so just having him is pretty great.

A batting lineup of Roy, Bairstow, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes is phenomenal and everyone after them can score quick runs; they don't have any real tailenders. Front line bowling attack of Archer, Wood, Woakes, Plunkett and Rashid will keep runrates manageable and take wickets. England's fielding is among the best in the tournament.

They can afford several players having a bad day and still have depth everywhere to compete. They are definitely the team to beat in this tournament.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Roy gets his 50 from 48 balls. I wonder how long it will take him to convert it to a ton

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Roy gets his 50 from 48 balls. I wonder how long it will take him to convert it to a ton
    a few days
    gg comentators curse boi

I'm happy with my new found power

England are going to struggle to break 320 here, SA have controlled them quite nicely.
    Though i could be full of shit here...

SA have bowled really well and got wickets at key times. It'll be good to see how England's bowlers cope with some pressure on them from the start.

A couple of maidens in the power play will be needed at least to push the run rate up and hopefully force a few wickets.

England might be disappointed they've not brought Tom Curran and his slower ball variations considering the luck SA bowlers have had with them. Looking forward to seeing Archer and Wood's pace though.

ISTR Curran's injured and out for 2 weeks. He was on the wireless earlier.
    Definitely in for a good game now, *if* England can get stuck into them early and cause the same problems which SA caused E.

Wan't that Sam Curran, his brother? I know he's not available for Surrey at the moment, must have missed news of Tom Curran picking up a knock.

Brilliant bowling by Archer.

How deep do SA go ?

Fairly deep, JP Duminy has scored plenty of 50s.

That was weird, SA seem to have glued the bails on.

The run rate is beginning to drift away from SA a little bit. They need a big partnership here to give them a base that'll let them accelerate later.
    England need a couple of wickets to really put SA under pressure.

I think England have this in the bag now.

Went from "ooh this is good", to a bit nervy, to outright terrified to full on "it's coming home" status in the space of a couple of hours. Sterling stuff.

And that bloody catch man

dat catch O.o

A quality job from England today - really sounded like a solid unit.
    You have to feel for Amla though, It sounds like he is short of form anyway, then taking a ball to the grill like that so early on in the tournament has to suck.