hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Vladimir I Lenin Megathread: I've seen worse

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

If you're not watching Chernobyl you should be.

Related trivia: watching it got me interested in how much of it is fictionalized. So while reading up on it, i came across this fun sentence on wikipedia:

(Regarding the "elephants foot" of molten core material) "The mass is quite dense, unyielding to a drill, but able to be damaged by a Kalashnikov rifle."
    Which madlad shot at the lava of radioactive death??
    Having read a bit about the disaster, the series stays mostly true to the events that unfolded AFAIK. Although some of it is a bit sensationalized/dramatized (as you would expect). The three nuclear engineers going into the powerplant to drain the water beneath the reactor (which they actually did) in the end of episode 2 survived and one of them (Alexei Ananenko) worked in the nuclear energy industry long after the disaster (and the fall of the USSR). The second engineer died of a heart failure at age 65. But to be fair, this myth has also been repeated several times in the past in western literature, so.

Also the molten nuclear reactor would have never caused a thermonuclear explosion as it is claimed if it came in contact with the water reservoir. It would have caused a steam explosion that would have been pretty devastating, but not a 4 megaton explosion as it was claimed in the 2nd episode. But again, this is another myth that has been repeated elsewhere. I think I heard it in the documentary Surviving Disaster – Chernobyl Nuclear aswell.

Sensationalism aside the series do come across as well researched if you ignore some of the fluff shoved in to cause more tension and drama. Thinking especially about the set and the environment.
    Did he use the word 'Thermonuclear'? The 4 megaton claim was pretty sensationalist but if the other 3 units had been damaged/destroyed you could have said goodbye to any sort of timely recovery effort and global consequences.
    4 megaton explosion pretty much excludes anything but a thermonuclear explosion as no other man made mechanism is able to set off an explosion of that magnitude

Edit: But yeah, a steam explosion would have wrecked the whole site with enormous consequenses. But it doesn't sound horryfying enough for TV I guess ...
    Last edited by helgur; May 15 2019 at 04:25:48 PM.

Related trivia: watching it got me interested in how much of it is fictionalized. So while reading up on it, i came across this fun sentence on wikipedia:

(Regarding the "elephants foot" of molten core material) "The mass is quite dense, unyielding to a drill, but able to be damaged by a Kalashnikov rifle."
    Having read a bit about the disaster, the series stays mostly true to the events that unfolded AFAIK. Although some of it is a bit sensationalized/dramatized (as you would expect). The three nuclear engineers going into the powerplant to drain the water beneath the reactor (which they actually did) in the end of episode 2 survived and one of them (Alexei Ananenko) worked in the nuclear energy industry long after the disaster (and the fall of the USSR). The second engineer died of a heart failure at age 65. But to be fair, this myth has also been repeated several times in the past in western literature, so.

Also the molten nuclear reactor would have never caused a thermonuclear explosion as it is claimed if it came in contact with the water reservoir. It would have caused a steam explosion that would have been pretty devastating, but not a 4 megaton explosion as it was claimed in the 2nd episode. But again, this is another myth that has been repeated elsewhere. I think I heard it in the documentary Surviving Disaster – Chernobyl Nuclear aswell.

Sensationalism aside the series do come across as well researched if you ignore some of the fluff shoved in to cause more tension and drama. Thinking especially about the set and the environment.
    Did he use the word 'Thermonuclear'? The 4 megaton claim was pretty sensationalist but if the other 3 units had been damaged/destroyed you could have said goodbye to any sort of timely recovery effort and global consequences.
    4 megaton explosion pretty much excludes anything but a thermonuclear explosion as no other man made mechanism is able to set off an explosion of that magnitude

Edit: But yeah, a steam explosion would have wrecked the whole site with enormous consequenses. But it doesn't sound horryfying enough for TV I guess ...
    yea that part yanked me out of the moment

A radioactive death-cloud drifting across Europe would've been scary enough...

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Watch the Chernobyl. It's fucking good.
    It's fucking disturbing to watch, knowing that this actually happened makes it so much worse.
    It is a good show, but I kind of wish it wasn't made.

The world more than ever, needs a lot more nuclear power plants with their vast emission free power output.
    Chernobyl is going to make people even more terrified of nuclear power.
    Regardless that everything possible was handled wrong in Chernobyl and we have received more radiation from coal plants than both Chernobyl & Fukushima combined.
    Fun fact. The accident happened within a week or two of a demonstration of at the Idaho National Lab, to members of Congress, of the safety and failsafe features of EBR-II. They actually cut cooling to the reactor with the congresscritters in the control room. Obv nothing happened because it’s an inherently safe design, unlike a PWR or BWR. Plan was to roll our commercial versions of the tech, and Congress was keen.

Then Chernobyl happens (lol uncontained BWR), and that’s that. No one knows about EBR-II, and three decades later not a single PRISM plant has been built.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

yea that part yanked me out of the moment

A radioactive death-cloud drifting across Europe would've been scary enough...
    Yeah it was a weird exchange. I'm fairly certain she said "thermal explosion" not thermo nuclear. No idea where that 4 megatons comes from? The 10,000 m^3 of water being vaporized? The equivalent of all the reactor fuel going critical?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    It's fucking disturbing to watch, knowing that this actually happened makes it so much worse.

The world more than ever, needs a lot more nuclear power plants with their vast emission free power output.
    Regardless that everything possible was handled wrong in Chernobyl and we have received more radiation from coal plants than both Chernobyl & Fukushima combined.
    Fun fact. The accident happened within a week or two of a demonstration of at the Idaho National Lab, to members of Congress, of the safety and failsafe features of EBR-II. They actually cut cooling to the reactor with the congresscritters in the control room. Obv nothing happened because it’s an inherently safe design, unlike a PWR or BWR. Plan was to roll our commercial versions of the tech, and Congress was keen.

Then Chernobyl happens (lol uncontained BWR), and that’s that. No one knows about EBR-II, and three decades later not a single PRISM plant has been built.
    I did a fair bit of research into PRISM and the precursors for a college dissertation I wrote a few years back... I had a quick dig around for the source but I can't find it... but there's a quote from one of the EBR-II (or possibly IFR) senior engineers which goes along the lines of 'We actively tried to cause an accident but because of the plant's inherently safe design it wouldn't let us'.

I'm a strong advocate for PRISM technology for getting rid of the UK's plutonium stocks but it's been shot down in the UK; I believe the concerns stem from the mechanical reliability based on experience of previous sodium cooled reactors in the UK but given the grid infrastructure we've got it would make sense to phase in PRISM reactors at AGR sites as they're shut down/decommissioned.

I did a fair bit of research into PRISM and the precursors for a college dissertation I wrote a few years back... I had a quick dig around for the source but I can't find it... but there's a quote from one of the EBR-II (or possibly IFR) senior engineers which goes along the lines of 'We actively tried to cause an accident but because of the plant's inherently safe design it wouldn't let us'.

I'm a strong advocate for PRISM technology for getting rid of the UK's plutonium stocks but it's been shot down in the UK; I believe the concerns stem from the mechanical reliability based on experience of previous sodium cooled reactors in the UK but given the grid infrastructure we've got it would make sense to phase in PRISM reactors at AGR sites as they're shut down/decommissioned.

I welcome Chernobyl memes, more.

MORE

I welcome Chernobyl memes, more.

MORE

2nd ep of Chernobyl is fucking tense. Ending is pure ohshitshitshit.
    Mother fuck you were not kidding... all my nopes times infinity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

tens of thousands of miners die horrific deaths from black lung every year, no one bats an eye

one meltdown happens, everyone loses their goddamn minds

to top it off, we're BRINGING BACK COAL BIGLY now

gg

I mean, I'm with onboard with you all with nuclear energy and how we need it NOW.

But radiation is no fucking joke. Chernobyl could've gone much, much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

tens of thousands of miners die horrific deaths from black lung every year, no one bats an eye

one meltdown happens, everyone loses their goddamn minds

to top it off, we're BRINGING BACK COAL BIGLY now

gg
    I'm sure all 50k coal miners in the US will be overjoyed, meanwhile, that many apple employees have lunch in the cafeteria there, everyday.
    meh

As we all know, and erichkknaar kindly reminded us, whole world is composed of the United States.

As we all know, and erichkknaar kindly reminded us, whole world is composed of the United States.
    The only country that mines more coal than the US is China. So, it’s tiny. China is your biggest problem there.

Besides, when trump talks about bringing back coal, I can assure you he’s not thinking about your coal miners.
    meh

I think the figure for 'premature deaths' from poor air quality in the UK alone is somewhere in the region of 40k-60k per year. From what I've seen that's about the range for the Chernobyl disaster as a whole.

In terms of cost renewables are becoming more and more cost effective when compared with nuclear but the materials for renewables and battery storage are more finite than those required for nuclear. Going forward I think nuclear is still going to be needed as part of a balanced energy policy but that's going to need a shift in public opinion in the west.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Totally Not Larkonnis again.
    Goddamm Chernobyl baneposting.

TIL you can get thermonuclear explosion from uranium235 fueled fission reactor.

Going forward I think nuclear is still going to be needed as part of a balanced energy policy but that's going to need a shift in public opinion in the west.
    Good job we've got this new Chernobyl series to help convert people to that understanding...

Maybe FREE GRAPHITE HAND WARMERS as a promotional tool?