hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 279

Thread: Vladimir I Lenin Megathread: I've seen worse

  1. #1
    Movember 2012 Elriche Oshego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21, 2011
    Posts
    7,910

    Vladimir I Lenin Megathread: I've seen worse


  2. #2
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    6,032
    Watch the Chernobyl. It's fucking good.

  3. #3
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Watch the Chernobyl. It's fucking good.
    It's fucking disturbing to watch, knowing that this actually happened makes it so much worse.
    It is a good show, but I kind of wish it wasn't made.

    The world more than ever, needs a lot more nuclear power plants with their vast emission free power output.
    Chernobyl is going to make people even more terrified of nuclear power.
    Regardless that everything possible was handled wrong in Chernobyl and we have received more radiation from coal plants than both Chernobyl & Fukushima combined.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Chair
    Posts
    6,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Those lens' look to be tinted Turkish

  5. #5
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    6,032
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Watch the Chernobyl. It's fucking good.
    It's fucking disturbing to watch, knowing that this actually happened makes it so much worse.
    It is a good show, but I kind of wish it wasn't made.

    The world more than ever, needs a lot more nuclear power plants with their vast emission free power output.
    Chernobyl is going to make people even more terrified of nuclear power.
    Regardless that everything possible was handled wrong in Chernobyl and we have received more radiation from coal plants than both Chernobyl & Fukushima combined.
    Same thought crossed my mind too.

  6. #6
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    3,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Watch the Chernobyl. It's fucking good.
    It's fucking disturbing to watch, knowing that this actually happened makes it so much worse.
    It is a good show, but I kind of wish it wasn't made.

    The world more than ever, needs a lot more nuclear power plants with their vast emission free power output.
    Chernobyl is going to make people even more terrified of nuclear power.
    Regardless that everything possible was handled wrong in Chernobyl and we have received more radiation from coal plants than both Chernobyl & Fukushima combined.
    Same thought crossed my mind too.
    Same. Havent checked anyone involved for political/environmental views and I'm not sure I want to either. Shit is good (1 ep in at least) and I'll leave it like that.
    Swedish producer/director though, from what I can tell might also contain some ppl I know in the overall production.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  7. #7
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Watch the Chernobyl. It's fucking good.
    It's fucking disturbing to watch, knowing that this actually happened makes it so much worse.
    It is a good show, but I kind of wish it wasn't made.

    The world more than ever, needs a lot more nuclear power plants with their vast emission free power output.
    Chernobyl is going to make people even more terrified of nuclear power.
    Regardless that everything possible was handled wrong in Chernobyl and we have received more radiation from coal plants than both Chernobyl & Fukushima combined.
    Same thought crossed my mind too.
    Same. Havent checked anyone involved for political/environmental views and I'm not sure I want to either. Shit is good (1 ep in at least) and I'll leave it like that.
    Swedish producer/director though, from what I can tell might also contain some ppl I know in the overall production.
    Yeah there and thousands of coal plants and TWO failed reactor leaks, of course there is more from fucking coal. You know corporations will run those nuclear plants, the same corporations that dont give a fuck about anything but money and would gladly cut costs and corners. Try living near an old one that isn't being maintained and tell me you feel safe. Chernobyl is fantastic so far and until we live in a magic society were corporate greed isn't prevalent we should ignore the option for nuclear power.

  8. #8


    Terrifying


  9. #9

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post

    If you're not watching Chernobyl you should be.

    Related trivia: watching it got me interested in how much of it is fictionalized. So while reading up on it, i came across this fun sentence on wikipedia:

    (Regarding the "elephants foot" of molten core material) "The mass is quite dense, unyielding to a drill, but able to be damaged by a Kalashnikov rifle."
    Which madlad shot at the lava of radioactive death??

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post

    If you're not watching Chernobyl you should be.

    Related trivia: watching it got me interested in how much of it is fictionalized. So while reading up on it, i came across this fun sentence on wikipedia:

    (Regarding the "elephants foot" of molten core material) "The mass is quite dense, unyielding to a drill, but able to be damaged by a Kalashnikov rifle."
    Which madlad shot at the lava of radioactive death??
    You're delusional.

    Someone take Lilalaunebör to the infirmary.


  11. #11
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    6,032
    2nd ep of Chernobyl is fucking tense. Ending is pure ohshitshitshit.

  12. #12
    Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24, 2011
    Location
    Putting owls in your Moss
    Posts
    9,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post

    If you're not watching Chernobyl you should be.

    Related trivia: watching it got me interested in how much of it is fictionalized. So while reading up on it, i came across this fun sentence on wikipedia:

    (Regarding the "elephants foot" of molten core material) "The mass is quite dense, unyielding to a drill, but able to be damaged by a Kalashnikov rifle."
    Which madlad shot at the lava of radioactive death??
    Having read a bit about the disaster, the series stays mostly true to the events that unfolded AFAIK. Although some of it is a bit sensationalized/dramatized (as you would expect). The three nuclear engineers going into the powerplant to drain the water beneath the reactor (which they actually did) in the end of episode 2 survived and one of them (Alexei Ananenko) worked in the nuclear energy industry long after the disaster (and the fall of the USSR). The second engineer died of a heart failure at age 65. But to be fair, this myth has also been repeated several times in the past in western literature, so.

    Also the molten nuclear reactor would have never caused a thermonuclear explosion as it is claimed if it came in contact with the water reservoir. It would have caused a steam explosion that would have been pretty devastating, but not a 4 megaton explosion as it was claimed in the 2nd episode. But again, this is another myth that has been repeated elsewhere. I think I heard it in the documentary Surviving Disaster – Chernobyl Nuclear aswell.

    Sensationalism aside the series do come across as well researched if you ignore some of the fluff shoved in to cause more tension and drama. Thinking especially about the set and the environment.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,707
    Thermonuclear is also a word used for fission started fusion weapons, in contrast to the boring old nuclear ones and with the absence of any fusion fuel even more sensationalist lies. Even getting a nuclear (fission only) explosion without really trying really hard for it is practically impossible.

  14. #14
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    3,145
    For extended "trivia" on Chernobyl check Our Planet on Netflix and the Forrest episode (its a magnificent series overall so if you watch them all if you havent already).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  15. #15
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    For extended "trivia" on Chernobyl check Our Planet on Netflix and the Forrest episode (its a magnificent series overall so if you watch them all if you havent already).
    He's delusional, comrades
    Take him to the infirmary

  16. #16
    Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24, 2011
    Location
    Putting owls in your Moss
    Posts
    9,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    He's delusional, comrades
    Take him to the infirmary

  17. #17
    Movember 2012 Elriche Oshego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21, 2011
    Posts
    7,910
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    He's delusional, comrades
    Take him to the infirmary
    This man has been exposed to feedwater. Take him to the infirmary.

  18. #18


  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post

    If you're not watching Chernobyl you should be.

    Related trivia: watching it got me interested in how much of it is fictionalized. So while reading up on it, i came across this fun sentence on wikipedia:

    (Regarding the "elephants foot" of molten core material) "The mass is quite dense, unyielding to a drill, but able to be damaged by a Kalashnikov rifle."
    Which madlad shot at the lava of radioactive death??
    Having read a bit about the disaster, the series stays mostly true to the events that unfolded AFAIK. Although some of it is a bit sensationalized/dramatized (as you would expect). The three nuclear engineers going into the powerplant to drain the water beneath the reactor (which they actually did) in the end of episode 2 survived and one of them (Alexei Ananenko) worked in the nuclear energy industry long after the disaster (and the fall of the USSR). The second engineer died of a heart failure at age 65. But to be fair, this myth has also been repeated several times in the past in western literature, so.

    Also the molten nuclear reactor would have never caused a thermonuclear explosion as it is claimed if it came in contact with the water reservoir. It would have caused a steam explosion that would have been pretty devastating, but not a 4 megaton explosion as it was claimed in the 2nd episode. But again, this is another myth that has been repeated elsewhere. I think I heard it in the documentary Surviving Disaster – Chernobyl Nuclear aswell.

    Sensationalism aside the series do come across as well researched if you ignore some of the fluff shoved in to cause more tension and drama. Thinking especially about the set and the environment.
    Did he use the word 'Thermonuclear'? The 4 megaton claim was pretty sensationalist but if the other 3 units had been damaged/destroyed you could have said goodbye to any sort of timely recovery effort and global consequences.


  20. #20

    Vladimir I Lenin Megathread: I've seen worse

    The most kino show on TV at the moment.

    The show
    Technical Discussion
    Trivia
    Memes
    Getting sent to the infirmary

    Last edited by Totally Not Larkonnis; May 15 2019 at 04:09:03 PM.


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •