hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vladimir I Lenin Megathread: I've seen worse

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Awesome show. And horrifying.

Anyone knows, are local party officials and plan management people really that idiotic irl?
    Generally speaking people dont like to face harsh truths, and are willing to go some length to avoid it.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar

Anyone knows, are local party officials and plan management people really that idiotic irl?

Religious belief in the technology and a society that turns people into robots

"RBMK reactors don't explode", "Not great, not terrible" they're probably rote from an approved training manual and sound more like tics. Wonder how accurate the context is and if people really were that braindead

I'm curious why they didn't have rad protection, lead lined suits and filters and all that. There's the religion of technology and you got your priests going into the Ark without clothes on, and the result is their god smote them pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    General Tarakanov ordered them to remove the lead sheets covering the walls of the government subcommittee bureaus in order to make them rudimentary protective clothing. These suits were not wearable more than once: they absorbed too much radioactivity.
    Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

Religious belief in the technology and a society that turns people into robots

"RBMK reactors don't explode", "Not great, not terrible" they're probably rote from an approved training manual and sound more like tics. Wonder how accurate the context is and if people really were that braindead
    Not so much braindead more a case of shock and denial; from what I'm aware the fault sequence that led to the explosion was only known about by senior physicists (the likes of Legaslov) and not briefed out to plant operators. Combined with the culture of the day and you effectively have an attitude of 'This can't happen; but if I've made it happen I'm going to get gulag'd/purged so I need to find a way to make it someone else's fault'.

Saying that you might have had similar attitudes in the west at the time (and now).

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    I'm curious why they didn't have rad protection, lead lined suits and filters and all that. There's the religion of technology and you got your priests going into the Ark without clothes on, and the result is their god smote them pretty good.
    The lack of installed radiation monitors (Belarus lady had one in her office) is a bit odd; not sure if it's indicative of plant design.

Lead lined suits aren't really a thing for the most part. The thickness of lead you need to offer a decent amount of protection is going to hamper your ability to do the job (unless your task time is pretty short anyway so you don't get fucking knackered wearing 30kg of lead while blowing out your hoop in a respirator).

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    General Tarakanov ordered them to remove the lead sheets covering the walls of the government subcommittee bureaus in order to make them rudimentary protective clothing. These suits were not wearable more than once: they absorbed too much radioactivity.
    Dang.
    Based

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...MZAmOafXdUN1o&

An interesting read with a new theory on what happened in the reactor at Chernobyl.

TLDR: Due to Xenon isotopes found in Cherepovets (situated outside the regular fallout pattern from the accident) and study of the weather patterns of the time of the accident, damage to the bottom plate of the reactor core, eyewitnesses and seismic reports, they believe that a nuclear explosion happened in 3-4 of the reactors fuel channels roughly 3 seconds before the steam explosion that threw the top plate off the reactor. Yield of around 300 tons worth of tnt.
    from the notes to pre-empt (some) autism: "This nuclear explosion concept must not be confused with a nuclear bomb as the two differ considerably in their principles of operation, neutronics, released energy, and temperatures involved."

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    what do those words mean hoggbuttes?

Bigly boom