hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Vladimir I Lenin Megathread: I've seen worse

looking into the exposed reactor core

Those junior engineers died hours later. Nobody had ever been exposed to that much radiation before. They were looking at something giving off about 20,000 roentgens.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    2nd ep of Chernobyl is fucking tense. Ending is pure ohshitshitshit.
    Mother fuck you were not kidding... all my nopes times infinity!
    While the series gives a nope to infinity vibe, and watching the direct consequences of the disaster is creepy. The real horror doesn't show itself before you see the long term consequences, particularly in the department of birth and genetic defects.

:/ All my nopes indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Watch the Chernobyl. It's fucking good.
    It's fucking disturbing to watch, knowing that this actually happened makes it so much worse.
    It is a good show, but I kind of wish it wasn't made.

The world more than ever, needs a lot more nuclear power plants with their vast emission free power output.
    Chernobyl is going to make people even more terrified of nuclear power.
    Regardless that everything possible was handled wrong in Chernobyl and we have received more radiation from coal plants than both Chernobyl & Fukushima combined.
    Fun fact. The accident happened within a week or two of a demonstration of at the Idaho National Lab, to members of Congress, of the safety and failsafe features of EBR-II. They actually cut cooling to the reactor with the congresscritters in the control room. Obv nothing happened because it’s an inherently safe design, unlike a PWR or BWR. Plan was to roll our commercial versions of the tech, and Congress was keen.

Then Chernobyl happens (lol uncontained BWR), and that’s that. No one knows about EBR-II, and three decades later not a single PRISM plant has been built.
    I did a fair bit of research into PRISM and the precursors for a college dissertation I wrote a few years back... I had a quick dig around for the source but I can't find it... but there's a quote from one of the EBR-II (or possibly IFR) senior engineers which goes along the lines of 'We actively tried to cause an accident but because of the plant's inherently safe design it wouldn't let us'.

I'm a strong advocate for PRISM technology for getting rid of the UK's plutonium stocks but it's been shot down in the UK; I believe the concerns stem from the mechanical reliability based on experience of previous sodium cooled reactors in the UK but given the grid infrastructure we've got it would make sense to phase in PRISM reactors at AGR sites as they're shut down/decommissioned.

Was an interesting watch. I love how he casually mentions that they don't know why the containment tanks in Three mile island didnīt fail (it "should" have failed) and only a fluke of chance saved the thing from becoming a Chernobyl style accident.

To insist later on that inferior USSR designs is what separates US reactors from Soviet/Russian and that wouldn't happen in US. Ignoring that he himself admitted it was just a fluke that saved em.....

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    While the series gives a nope to infinity vibe, and watching the direct consequences of the disaster is creepy. The real horror doesn't show itself before you see the long term consequences, particularly in the department of birth and genetic defects.

I was born about year after Chernobyl. Since I have this weird leg deformation (missing couple of bones lol) that no doctor could say why it exists or what caused it, I wouldn't be suprised if my mum cought some of those stray bullets herself.

Then again, Chernobyl radiation supposedly omitted Poland. Hell knows.
    Last edited by Venec; May 17 2019 at 07:38:04 PM.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    Was an interesting watch. I love how he casually mentions that they don't know why the containment tanks in Three mile island didnīt fail (it "should" have failed) and only a fluke of chance saved the thing from becoming a Chernobyl style accident.

To insist later on that inferior USSR designs is what separates US reactors from Soviet/Russian and that wouldn't happen in US. Ignoring that he himself admitted it was just a fluke that saved em.....
    You didn't pay enough attention to what he said then, because the contaimnent unit itself isn't the only thing that seperates western and eastern reactor designs. One of the biggest contributors to the disaster in Chernobyl from a design standpoint was that the RBMK reactors provided a positive nuclear feedback loop. Which makes controlling the nuclear reaction difficult, especiallly during the test in '86 when you had the clowns operating unit 4 handling the control rods manually making this feedback loop even worse to handle properly. The HBO series pretty much nails the nonchalant attitude of "this technology we built is so great, nothing can go wrong" to the head, when the factual side of this is that the RBMK reactor was a poor design compared to it's western counterparts.

Edit: The lecturer calls it "positive void coefficient" and he explains it at the 35:54 mark
    Last edited by helgur; May 17 2019 at 08:00:57 PM.

Venec the Boneless

Lolussr running a reactor design at positive void coefficient that high.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    looking into the exposed reactor core

Those junior engineers died hours days later. Nobody had ever been exposed to that much radiation before. They were looking at something giving off about 20,000 roentgens.
    At contact it would have been far far more.

I'm not going to go digging too hard but the highest estimated dose from Chernobyl is 25 Gy (or 2500Rem), a firefighter... Noone died of ARS within hours.

A crewman on a soviet submarine picked up a dose of 54Sv (5400Rem) in 1961

People have picked up higher acute doses through other incidents:

https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/31/058/31058811.pdf?r=1&r=1

Also: Ethics?
    Last edited by Totally Not Larkonnis; May 17 2019 at 08:38:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Venec the Boneless

The state is perfect. The state designed the reactor. Therefore the reactor is perfect comrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Venec the Boneless

The state is perfect. The state designed the reactor. Therefore the reactor is perfect comrade.
    Everything is positive in glorious Soviet Utopia, especially void coefficient

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Less than 3.6 days til the next episode...

Get the good episode from the safe

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post

You didn't pay enough attention to what he said then, because the contaimnent unit itself isn't the only thing that seperates western and eastern reactor designs. One of the biggest contributors to the disaster in Chernobyl from a design standpoint was that the RBMK reactors provided a positive nuclear feedback loop. Which makes controlling the nuclear reaction difficult, especiallly during the test in '86 when you had the clowns operating unit 4 handling the control rods manually making this feedback loop even worse to handle properly. The HBO series pretty much nails the nonchalant attitude of "this technology we built is so great, nothing can go wrong" to the head, when the factual side of this is that the RBMK reactor was a poor design compared to it's western counterparts.

Edit: The lecturer calls it "positive void coefficient" and he explains it at the 35:54 mark
    Yes i noticed that.
    But he clearly states the reason for their design without a shell is that they could not make it in Soviet/russia. But that wouldn't have mattered since it blew up so fast and the positive feedback exacerbated the problem.

And he still ignores that US accident in Three Mile Island didn't breach the containment out of a fluke of luck not design.

I was born about year after Chernobyl. Since I have this weird leg deformation (missing couple of bones lol) that no doctor could say why it exists or what caused it, I wouldn't be suprised if my mum cought some of those stray bullets herself.

Then again, Chernobyl radiation supposedly omitted Poland. Hell knows.
    I remember not being allowed to play in my sandbox(the fuck mom!) and people talking about iodine pills on the radio

MI8m8

Reading more into the disaster and apparently an engineer saw those bricks on top of the reactor bouncing up and down as the pressure built up

Huge brown pants moment and I'd run the other way as fast as possible

I wasn't allowed to go outside to play for 3 days but grew to 6'3" and a big dick after Chernobyl

Checkmate environmentalists

I don't think there's a comic about the Hulk and the elephant's foot. That seemed like a plot point I would've expected for some reason.

Minesweeper RBMK reactor edition

So the Russians are still using 10 of these Graphite Brick Ejection Structures today?

I did not know that. More than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    Minesweeper RBMK reactor edition

Awesome show. And horrifying.

Anyone knows, are local party officials and plan management people really that idiotic irl?