hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode IX, The Rise of Skywalker

You can know what happens and still enjoy a plot when the story telling is good. Disney star wars hasn't had good story telling or writing, so it leans heavily on nostalgia and special effects.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    You can know what happens and still enjoy a plot when the story telling is good.
    Indeed.

Exhibit #1: The Expanse (for those that read the books before the TV series came out).

By that metric, someone who disagrees couldnt watch any book adaptation.

Not that i disagree at all, starting a story from the end is a very common trope anyways. "There I was, sitting in a chair with a cold .38 in my mouth. How I got here? Well, we will have to start from the beginning..." etc. etc.

My issue with Star Wars and prequels in particular is that they never do anything interesting with it. Just the lamest most obvious plot possible. If they *didnt* have the established canon framework, they would get absolutely raked over a fire for how shitty the plot is. Say what you like about Lukas' prequels, at least he told a story.

Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Haven't seen any of this supposed conflating happening and the guy has a pretty annoying voice. Edit: watched a bit more, this whole thing is absurdly contrived.
    Last edited by GeromeDoutrande; June 7 2022 at 06:13:26 PM.

Toxic moron screeching about how it's righteous vibes

Third sister sucks as a inquisitor, she's not convincing villain at all and it has nothing to do with race, as a woman she's good looking but clearly not matching for the role. She will eventually have a crisis moment, switch sides and save Kenobi and the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    My issue with Star Wars and prequels in particular is that they never do anything interesting with it. Just the lamest most obvious plot possible. If they *didnt* have the established canon framework, they would get absolutely raked over a fire for how shitty the plot is. Say what you like about Lukas' prequels, at least he told a story.
    Disney won't rest until they make a spin-off about every single being, entity, or object that appeared in the saga.
    When they make a Jar Jar Binks spin off? i can't wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    That's why i liked Mando, then wanted to like, then started rolling eyes at every other scene.

I've really enjoyed the last couple of episodes of Obi-wan. I accept all the downsides like cheap production , fan service and obvious plot holes, but it's fun and the callbacks to the movies are great.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    I've really enjoyed the last couple of episodes of Obi-wan. I accept all the downsides like cheap production , fan service and obvious plot holes, but it's fun and the callbacks to the movies are great.
    I disagree, such an unimaginative story.
    They just wasted a golden opportunity to turn Reva into a good badguy, by making her go full ragemode-darkside.
    Instead, they pulled the classic Disney bullshit redemtion story.

Haven't they learnt anything from Star Wars?
    We the audience, LOVE Darth Vader. A good antagonist is as important as the protagonist.

You watched it all, they could give two shits about your opinion since you all keep shoveling it down lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    My biggest gripe with crap set in prequel land is that we already know what is going to happen. It's why I couldn't click with Rogue One, I can't get attached to the characters because I know for sure they'll die. How? Don't care.

Obi-Wan? Ohnoes, Princess Leia got pricessnapped. I wonder what will happen. The TENSION! Will she die? Heck, no, because she's in the movies that established this universe.

With prequel crap there is no stake, we know for sure who is going to die (because they're not in the movies released so far) and we know who is going to live (because they are in the movies released so far). Whilst the prequel trilogy got a lot of flak for shoddy writing and rather meh acting, the whole thing was meh because of the above. We knew Qui-Gon will die, we knew Obi Wan will live.

It's why this franchise will never really be all right until they break away from the past and go into the future, with new stories, new and old villains and heroes alike, I don't care, just give me a story I can care about, with real stakes and real character development. Is that too much to fucking ask?

It's also why The Mandalorian was so great - it is post Empire and we can disregard the sequel trilogy as being complete dog shit and at the same time utterly removed from Mando & co - it's a story we can get behind because it has real stakes and real character development. It's also why Obi Wan after the first two episodes is mostly mediocre - we know Obi Wan is never in danger of dying or being crippled or otherwise, he's safe. So is Leia, so is Luke. So is Uncle Owen, the scene where the Third Sister holds a lightsaber to his throat is the most devoid of stake and passion I have ever seen in movies. No, I can't get over the fact that Uncle Owen is alive at the start of Episode IV - he's basically immune to whatever happens in this series.
    Counterpoint: we know how Dunkirk ends since 1940 and it is still an amazing movie. It is about how you tell the story.
    Hiro Cor

Everyone knew how Titanic would end, still ended up being the highest grossing film of the 90s. It made twice as much as the second highest grossing film, Jurassic Park ($2b vs $1b).
    nevar forget

Well so Kenobi is now finished and rumours are it was cancelled. These people are insane.

Last episode was also trash. Sigh.

edit: Kathleen Kennedy needs to go fuck herself with a signpost:

Last edited by Cosmin; June 22 2022 at 11:53:02 AM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

She has consistently fucked up everything Star Wars related since Disney took over the IP.

Most everything after Return of the Jedi has been fucked up one way or the other, so what's new.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Honestly, i didn't think it was too bad. Certainly full of plotholes but the actors were mostly good and the end was satisfying.
    I don't know what people want more of their space fantasy.

They want what never existed but they made it up in their heads playing games when they were fucking 12