hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2027282930

Thread: Star Wars Episode IX, The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    if you thought the last episode was 'trash' you need your head checked
    If you compare Kenobi with The Boys - since they've been running in parallel - there's absolutely a huge difference in the quality of writing and overall quality and not in the favour of Kenobi - and bear in mind the source material for The Boys is absolutely horrible.

The last episode had some good bits but the series overall made me incredibly jaded going into it. I feel episode 5 was better if only for the flashback fight between Obi Wan and Anakin.

Why was the last episode trash? Because it puts characters into situations where they act unreasonable for their character development. Why didn't Kenobi kill Vader? It's just dumb, he was down, exposed, clearly Anakin was dead. Ah, because there was cut material that had Qui Gon tell Obi Wan there is still good in him - this may have changed the perception. As it is, it's horrible. Reva just spares Luke because the script makes her go from unhinged evil person cutting off people's hands to "ah she's actually good" without any good reason. She survived the Jedi Temple youngling purge to go on and be raised by the Sith and still she maintained a moral compass? Really? I can't tell in the show why that would be a thing except for the script needing her to be like that.

Also, the biggest gripe I have with the series - dude, in episode IV Leia states in the message to Kenobi that she asks him for help because Kenobi fought in the Clone Wars with her father. She doesn't know she's adopted. She doesn't have the memory of running around being kidnapped with Kenobi rescuing her when she was 10 yo. It's just bad writing top to bottom.

Characters don't develop unless the script needs them to suddenly find their strenght or something. They don't do stuff unless the script tells them to. Nothing really flows naturally, organically. And not using John Williams' score because it would make the series "too cinematic" is just the shit icing on a shitty cake that has some really fucking delicious bits.
    fuck you are an utter nonce
    No, he's right and you're being thick.
    <any iq related copypasta>

Let's face it, likes of Westworld S1, early GoT, Breaking Bad, Chernobyl etc spoiled all of us with what we can expect from tv writing.
    Last edited by rufuske; June 27 2022 at 09:09:32 AM.

Kenobi is a TV version of what I think would normally be one of the Star Wars book releases that fills in minor arcs for super fans and should have stayed in that domain. I'm not a super fan (at least not anymore these days I guess), so I skip-watched the last three episodes and probably wouldn't be back for similar fare. Fundamentally I think there ought to have been more exciting pitches for shows in the Star Wars universe that should had the Kenobi show money spent on them instead.

I agree with teds that Star Wars is a show about space wizards, lasers and glow stick fighting. Hopefully future Star Wars shows will focus more on the action-adventure aspects of Star Wars and less on rehashing old action figure drama plotlines. I'd like some Star Wars shows with really excellent tight action sequences (i.e. better than what we've gotten from Star Wars so far except for maybe the end of Rogue One [edit] and the throne room fight sequence in last jedi).
    Last edited by GeromeDoutrande; June 27 2022 at 10:18:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    <any iq related copypasta>

Let's face it, likes of Westworld S1, early GoT, Breaking Bad, Chernobyl etc spoiled all of us with what we can expect from tv writing.
    One thing that annoys me with all Star Wars TV shows so far is how little plot happens in them. Obviously shows like Kenobi are "structurally constrained" in what they can do because they are set in a tiny niche window between movies, but even the relatively unconstrained shows like The Mandalorian move at glacial pace compared to what I think they should do.

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I agree with teds that Star Wars is a show about space wizards, lasers and glow stick fighting.
    That isn't completely true, though. The Force as portrayed in the OG trilogy and the prequel trilogy is more akin to a natural thing that specific people highly sensitive and attuned to can use to do minor stuff. Yoda struggles quite a bit to raise Luke's ship in Empire and he's one of the most powerful Jedi who ever existed, meanwhile Kenobi in the last episode of the Kenobi series throws a barrage of rather huge boulders at Darth Vader (with little effect btw). The Force was always described in the canon as being something that flows through all living beings, not freaking Harry Potter stuff.

So no, it isn't about space wizards, it's more about space druids who tap into the natural Force to slightly enhance their own skills. And this is one of the greatest annoyances of old time fans of the SW universe stories, nowadays the Force seems like a plot device more than anything else. The OG and prequel trilogy revolved around exceptional people who mildly used the Force to further enhance their skills. Nowadays it's just some people we should think of as special (but without a lot of substrate except we're being repeatedly told they're special) who make space magic. It's disheartening to say the least.

Lasers and lightsabers - fair stuff.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I think teds and me were both going for "broad strokes" at a high level - I am sure your characterisation is more appropriate

YT said I should watch this, dunno how accurate his sources are. Seems forces are moving to fix Star Wars.

Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Various people, including Lucas, have been trying to fix star wars for ages. Please just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    YT said I should watch this, dunno how accurate his sources are. Seems forces are moving to fix Star Wars.

They will prolly replace current runner with Favreau/Filoni and their friends.

It keeps getting worse and worse the more I think about it. Virtually every single aspect of this series was a failure. It is not the actors fault they were given garbage to work with. This failure sits squarely with the writers and production company.

I watched this until about three minutes in where this dude claims that the Disney CEO is rewriting Star Wars storylines and changing plotline elements.

I watched this until about three minutes in where this dude claims that the Disney CEO is rewriting Star Wars storylines and changing plotline elements.
    It's already been alleged that Kathleen Kennedy is interfering with production and storylines and tbh I would not be surprised. Some people are just powertripping. Considering how the sequel trilogy ended up it's a bit obvious it was not written by somebody who actually does film writing.

Having an executive interfere with the story and plots in this case would not be unfathomable just so they could say "I made this".

All of it has been such a shit show but nerds keep watching. If you are gonna watch this shit at least pirate it.

It's already been alleged that Kathleen Kennedy is interfering with production and storylines and tbh I would not be surprised. Some people are just powertripping. Considering how the sequel trilogy ended up it's a bit obvious it was not written by somebody who actually does film writing.

Having an executive interfere with the story and plots in this case would not be unfathomable just so they could say "I made this".
    Then again you could argue that Ep. I-III could have benefited from executive interference...

As of now I've only seen the 1st of the 3 (not any longer) new movies, so I can't tell what's actually going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Then again you could argue that Ep. I-III could have benefited from executive interference...

As of now I've only seen the 1st of the 3 (not any longer) new movies, so I can't tell what's actually going on.
    Then again Lucas was the executive on the 1-3 and interfered

But then again given that he was both the director and producer, how can he interfer with himself*)?

*) Schizophrenia excluded, obviously...

Well at least Episodes I-III actually have a coherent story and stuff isn't off the charts. The Force is not magic, even Yoda and Sidious struggle with it at times. I mean in my book at least episodes I-III are not bad at all in the context set by IV-VI. Childish at times? Bad lines? Bad acting? Sure, however it fits the universe and doesn't go overboard with "bigger, bigger, bigger".

Well at least Episodes I-III actually have a coherent story and stuff isn't off the charts. The Force is not magic, even Yoda and Sidious struggle with it at times. I mean in my book at least episodes I-III are not bad at all in the context set by IV-VI. Childish at times? Bad lines? Bad acting? Sure, however it fits the universe and doesn't go overboard with "bigger, bigger, bigger".
    And it doesnt re-do the same fucking plot 4 times in a row.....

My last hope for watchable Star Wars is Andor, please let it be good like Rouge One was.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post

And it doesnt re-do the same fucking plot 4 times in a row.....

My last hope for watchable Star Wars is Andor, please let it be good like Rouge One was.
    Last edited by Ruri; July 10 2022 at 07:45:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.