hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 496

Thread: Star Wars Episode IX, The Rise of Skywalker

  1. #381
    Donor Pattern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,070

  2. #382
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,717
    I bet that is actually more fun than the movie.

    This guy is pretty good, i am now on a bingewatch.
    Last edited by RazoR; December 23 2019 at 12:31:17 AM.

  3. #383

  4. #384

    Join Date
    March 10, 2019
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Ruri- nobody is giving reasons why TLJ is bad
    - Videos are linked containing in depth critique-
    Ruri - yeah not watching, tl;dr.

    And btw you may think he's kind of a shit critic, but I watched those and they are valid criticism.

    Btw you don't have to exclusively watch you tube content, you can always do so whilst doing chores.
    I usually have the content playing on one monitor when gaming on the main one, but five hours? Not unless it's as entertaining as the Plinkett prequel series, which, mauler is no Plinkett.

    Tbf I did watch/read other critiques, though they all seem to suffer from the same sort of bloat where the critic will make a handful of points and then ramble on for a while just saying "it's bad" over and over. I was actually really disappointed in the Plinkett review of TLJ as well, it really felt like Mike just didn't get into the same level of detail as he did with the prequels. And I do agree with several of the problems he points out (you don't just happen upon a planetary star system, especially one with a hidden base on it, unless that was your plan from the start), but I also think he devalued the other aspects of the story that were more interesting. But again, how much you weight those is entirely up to you.

    Now, having returned from the theater,
      Spoiler:
    I can say that while ROS managed to be a little more inventive than I was afraid for, and actually got me good in the feels (Han's convo, and then Ben's self sacrifice were legit great moments and felt like they actually connected with the character's whole arc), it also did everything I expected JJ to do by just going HERE'S EVEN MOOOOORRRREEE AND IT'S BIGGER THAN EVER. For every time I said "oh, that's actually kind of nice" (those references to The Last Airbender were surely not accidental and I am there for it) there were two where I was just sat staring at the screen wondering "wait why the fuck is that a thing?" ("here kylo, we analyzed this necklace in two seconds, it should only take you 15-20 seconds to get to the planet where all the macguffin's have gathered," and any time the characters interacted with Leia it sounded like they were talking to a magic 8 ball; "general, we've lost contact with the Falcon, what should we do?" "Ask Again Later...")

    Idk, I'll have to digest it a bit more, but overall while TLJ was ambitious and flawed, ROS feels repetitive and flawed, and I think I'd rather see someone at least try to expand what is possible in Star Wars, rather than just copy-pasting past things and giving everyone even more super superpowers. Kylo Ben was easily the best part of this whole trilogy, I like where his character ended up a lot more than Rey kind of creepily taking the name of her ghost spirit gurus.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    But why would he waste five hours on watching this "critique" when he could instead watch The Last Jedi, which as a reminder is the best film of the new trilogy, twice in the same time?
    Fair enuf

    The thing is I watched them in theatres and I came with a feeling of meh after the TFA and TLJ so these critiques were something I listened to in the hopes of identifying why it was so meh. Turns out there are a lot of things that combined give you a feeling of fuck that.

    One thing I really liked in the prequels was the character development and the story line that made sense in the context of Star Wars. That is why RoS is actually decent Star Wars compared to TFA and TLJ. I'm putting TFA there because it's such a good copy of Episode IV that in itself is good, but it's still copy-paste.

    A few impressions from my caving in and watching it in IMAX because hey I watched all of them in theatres when they came out (sans the original trilogy).
      Spoiler:
    Young Luke and young Leia training together. Big oof and deep feels when: "Dad..." | "I know." Rey's force lighting burst was a nice way of making me spill my soda. Way too much of people dying from using the force too much (seriously, that's not how the force works). Ships working after decades of abandonment is not out of the Star Wars canon at all. Too much pushing of force ghosts into the world, seriously why are they not fucking up the Sith like that? It's not like they'll die again or smth.

    The bass drop Palps does in RoS is almost on par with the only scene I enjoyed in TLJ when they warped that Resistance Cruiser through the opposing fleet. Big feels were hazd. Also the voices Rey hears are simply spot on, Qui Gon was there as well as Yoda and Mace Windu. Top marks, JJ. I also liked a lot of "show, don't tell <too much>". It's implied General Pryde is actually Grand Moff Tarkin and there's a bunch of other similar things spread around. I found the story to be super concentrated Star Wars juice and that may not fare well with everybody, but overall it was the best Star Wars experience on the big screen since Revenge of the Sith (at least for me). Mandalorian is still killing it on the smol screen.

    The Jedi Sentinel lightsaber and final scene were really a nice ending imo.
    Funny, I came out of the theater really liking TLJ and went and found a bunch of articles on it to help figure out why too. It might seem cheeky to link anything here after I blew off the mauler vids, but I genuinely think this is one of the best things that's been written about Star Wars in general, so I'll just put it on the table.
    That article says "Why does it illicit such passion?" Please read better material than this.

  5. #385
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    3. Samurai Jack is one of my favourite series ever

    What do you mean the animated, not the CGI one? I assumed there's only one Clone Wars animated series (6 seasons)?
    Genndy Tartakovsky did a whole series of animated shorts that were later stitched into a film, well before the cgi Clone Wars. Kinda surprised you never heard of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

    Really hope Rian Johnson gets to do his own trilogy.
    He wont because the great unwashed hated his efforts with TLJ.
    I think the hate is overstated, honestly. It seems like a lot when you're on the internet but most people in my experience were either okay with TLJ or kind of liked it. The reason the RT audience score is so low is literally due to angry nerds review bombing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    That article says "Why does it illicit such passion?" Please read better material than this.


    wtf are you on about
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  6. #386

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    That article says "Why does it illicit such passion?" Please read better material than this.


    wtf are you on about
    In attempt to elevate status of opinion piece, author tries to use big word and fails miserably.

  7. #387
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,233
    People are really worked up over star wars it seems

  8. #388
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    10,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    People are really worked up over star wars it seems
    Do not question product, only consume product.

  9. #389
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    People are really worked up over star wars it seems
    Do not question product, only consume product.
    I'm just really failing to understand what is gained by people making multi hour video breakdowns over a bad kids movie

  10. #390

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    551
    Don't worry about it, they are just "the vestigial tail of white male fragility that seems to have a last-gasp stranglehold on this country" and will soon fade in to the same obscurity from whence they came. I read that on the internet, so it must be true.

    edit: Come to think of it, this is the first time the "both sides" argument actually fits.

  11. #391
    Movember 2012 Elriche Oshego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21, 2011
    Posts
    8,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    People are really worked up over star wars it seems
    Do not question product, only consume product.
    I'm just really failing to understand what is gained by people making multi hour video breakdowns over a bad kids movie
    STAR WAR REEEEEEEEEEEEE

  12. #392
    Sandzibar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,778
    and on that note




  13. #393
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,841
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Jedi are pretty much Mary Sue by definition I would say, no?

    Also Cosmin, that's a lot of "I'm not against having female protagonists, BUT ...". Maybe think a bit about whether you really want to be that guy.
    Ohnoes. There is also this knee jerk reaction that if you criticise how Rey is (not) developed you are suddenly against female leads. I literally wrote about Ripley in the same post. There have been strong female leads for ages in cinema and they've been well and properly developed. Rey isn't. Sorry, but that's a fact, not about personal preference

    I don't like it, but can tolerate it. I'm voicing disapproval because they could have done so much better. But if it sells regardless then nobody cares, so w/e.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  14. #394
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    Jedi are pretty much Mary Sue by definition I would say, no?

    Also Cosmin, that's a lot of "I'm not against having female protagonists, BUT ...". Maybe think a bit about whether you really want to be that guy.
    Ohnoes. There is also this knee jerk reaction that if you criticise how Rey is (not) developed you are suddenly against female leads. I literally wrote about Ripley in the same post. There have been strong female leads for ages in cinema and they've been well and properly developed. Rey isn't. Sorry, but that's a fact, not about personal preference

    I don't like it, but can tolerate it. I'm voicing disapproval because they could have done so much better. But if it sells regardless then nobody cares, so w/e.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that if they had made Rey male and had swapped Kylo Ren to female to keep the story identical, which would be incredibly easy in this story, then you wouldn't be on here bringing up the character's gender.

  15. #395
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    I literally wrote about Ripley in the same post.
    Ripley is a qualified and experienced astronaut engineer pilot kind of deal so she's basically a man but nice try.

    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I think that if they had made Rey male and had swapped Kylo Ren to female to keep the story identical, which would be incredibly easy in this story, then you wouldn't be on here bringing up the character's gender.
    I think you are being retarded on purpose.


    Hey maybe we could take a step to the side and look at another female lead in a recent star wars movie that was pretty solid. Hmmm.
    Last edited by RazoR; December 23 2019 at 02:16:45 PM.

  16. #396
    kyrieee's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    derp
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    I usually have the content playing on one monitor when gaming on the main one, but five hours? Not unless it's as entertaining as the Plinkett prequel series, which, mauler is no Plinkett.

    Tbf I did watch/read other critiques, though they all seem to suffer from the same sort of bloat where the critic will make a handful of points and then ramble on for a while just saying "it's bad" over and over. I was actually really disappointed in the Plinkett review of TLJ as well, it really felt like Mike just didn't get into the same level of detail as he did with the prequels. And I do agree with several of the problems he points out (you don't just happen upon a planetary star system, especially one with a hidden base on it, unless that was your plan from the start), but I also think he devalued the other aspects of the story that were more interesting. But again, how much you weight those is entirely up to you.
    This describes most youtube critics. If you need three hours to say something then chances are you just don't know how to express yourself clearly, or how to filter our what's interesting. That "hbomberguy"(?) is the worst about this.

  17. #397
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post
    Don't worry about it, they are just "the vestigial tail of white male fragility that seems to have a last-gasp stranglehold on this country" and will soon fade in to the same obscurity from whence they came. I read that on the internet, so it must be true.

    edit: Come to think of it, this is the first time the "both sides" argument actually fits.
    Let's just hope the woke consumerism dies more quickly than our planet in the next decade

  18. #398
    GeromeDoutrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Fakefrenchistan
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    I think you are being retarded
    I think this we can all agree on given that I have been "debating" this topic on here of all places.

  19. #399
    Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Posts
    17,190
    Seen it

    Fun popcorn movie


    Sent from my butt phone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

  20. #400
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,978
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Seen it

    Fun popcorn movie


    Sent from my butt phone using Tapatalk
    This.

    Also lots of fan service.

    Fun was had.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •