hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode IX, The Rise of Skywalker

Prequel story lines are good.
    What I really dislike about them is the cheesy dialogue.

In the sequels the story is worst off, and Disney.
    Star Wars should be a dark world, but it's been too kiddy friendly.
    And they haven't taken the main lesson from Game of Thrones, the audience love it when you kill off characters they are attached to.
    Rogue One did it, and it was incredible.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

At least it didn't have time travel.
      Spoiler:
    Mate. Seriously.
      Spoiler:
    Deep:

- B-Wings.
    - Yellow Lightsabre
    - The Bass on Palatines Mega Force Lightning
    - Mini-Holdo manoeuver outside ofEndor
    - Lando
    - Rey literally finishing off what Mace Windu started.
    - Massive space (atmosphere?) battle

Dumb:

- Rey Palatine
    - Blood = Force Power (heeeey geeuuiiiessss, loook Rey's not a mary sue, shes only OP because she's got emperor blood.)
    - Suprise.... Leia is a proper jedi master
    - Stuff just happening (lets fight on endor... here's a new light sabre, lets fly lukes old x-wing thats spent years in the sea.)
    - People dying, wait... i baaaaiiiit yooooo. psyhkE! (happens 3 times, half expected kylo to sit up again or snoke to make one final appearance.
    - sith fleet of hung planet killing destroyers.... soooo dumb
    - The lightsabre fights felt pretty weak compared to tlj.

Current mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    - Suprise.... Leia is a proper jedi master
    Kinda knew that from the books anyways.

Movie was ok i suppose, not good, but nowhere near as bad as I had expected

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

It's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Prequels are literally better than the current trilogy. At least they make some kind of sense, unlike these. Itís still retard level but ffs. Try and watch TLJ and then Attack of the Clones and tell me the former is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The former is better, by a country mile. I have problems with TLJ, it's not flawless, but really? I don't like sand?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Prequels are literally better than the current trilogy. At least they make some kind of sense, unlike these. It’s still retard level but ffs. Try and watch TLJ and then Attack of the Clones and tell me the former is better.

The former is better, by a country mile. I have problems with TLJ, it's not flawless, but really? I don't like sand?
    It's a legit opinion, mate. Or did you expect shakespear from a teen raised as a mechanic/shop hand?
    Christensen's performance notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Prequels are literally better than the current trilogy. At least they make some kind of sense, unlike these. Itís still retard level but ffs. Try and watch TLJ and then Attack of the Clones and tell me the former is better.

It's a legit opinion, mate. Or did you expect shakespear from a teen raised as a mechanic/shop hand?
    Also it makes sense that he wouldn't like it, not for it's physical properties, but for the association it must hold for him with his former life as a slave. The last Jedi is bad not because the acting is bad, or the cinemetography is bad, those are actually good, it's bad because it's a bunch of well done shots scenes and moments that make absolutely no sense in the context of star wars or each other. Say what you want about the prequels but they at least had a plot and followed the same rules of world building that the original trilogy did. They should have gotten lucas to write them a bible on what can and cannot happen in the star wars universe before they started making new films because it's become pretty obvious that he has a set of rules in his head for what works and doesn't in the universe (in terms of how the force works and what the physical laws and limitations of it's technology are) that no one making the new movies outside rogue one understands.

They had a bible. It's called the Expanded Universe. Oh no wait it's called Legends and Disney pretends it doesn't exist.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

There are an infinite number of places on the continuum between Shakespear and Lucas. As for Christiensen, it's obvious that Lucas didn't direct any of the actors well, so putting the blame on their shoulders misses the mark.

I'm not saying people can't have opinions, but so far in all these pages not once has someone hating on TLJ provided an actual reason beyond "it's dumb and you're dumb lol."

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    it's bad because it's a bunch of well done shots scenes and moments that make absolutely no sense in the context of star wars or each other.
    I'm genuinely curious if you have an example of this.

it's become pretty obvious that he has a set of rules in his head for what works and doesn't in the universe (in terms of how the force works and what the physical laws and limitations of it's technology are) that no one making the new movies outside rogue one understands.
    Thinking of The Force as literally just a set of clearly defined powers for video game characters to level up misses the point of the concept so completely that I'm honestly kind of stunned. I will absolutely grant that the prequels relied on far more rote interpretations of what is possible with the force, but that's part of the reason they were so awful. Yoda went from telling Luke "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter," to doing ninja flips and shooting lightning. Even if you flip it and look at the chronology from his perspective, there's no indication in any of the prequels that he's anything but a small weird warmonger who's brain gets messed with and then gives up after only once trying to stop the evil wizard that was doing it, and going from that to a wise hermit monk is if anything even more nonsensical.

So what limitations of Star Wars "technology" did Lucas clearly establish that any of the new movies did not understand? When was the technology ever important to the story beyond giving the characters places and things to fight over?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    They had a bible. It's called the Expanded Universe. Oh no wait it's called Legends and Disney pretends it doesn't exist.
    let's be frank, outside of a few standouts, the expanded universe was hardly consistent.

In tone and quality? God no a lot of it was dreck.

But everything in it fed from LucasFilm and every technology and concept had to be run through them. So you had consistency of universe, if not of quality. Certainly more so after the Bantam books era, at least.

Whilst I am actually quite a big fan of TLJ, the sudden concept of ships being able to outrun other ships but only to a certain distance would never have been allowed under LucasFilm. See also hyperspace-capable planet killing lasers in TFA.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Brb, need to drink more midichloride

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

And they haven't taken the main lesson from Game of Thrones, the audience love it when you kill off characters they are attached to.

Wrong
    Wrong
    Wrong

Itís Saturday series made large, no grim dark here thanks for fucks sake

Sent from my butt phone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post

Wrong
    Wrong
    Wrong

It’s Saturday series made large, no grim dark here thanks for fucks sake

Sent from my butt phone using Tapatalk
    Yeah if I wanted grimdark scifi star wars is not the place look for it.

it's bad because it's a bunch of well done shots scenes and moments that make absolutely no sense in the context of star wars or each other.
    So what limitations of Star Wars "technology" did Lucas clearly establish that any of the new movies did not understand? When was the technology ever important to the story beyond giving the characters places and things to fight over?
    Off the top of my head there's the scene with the bombers where they hit the dreadnaught or whatever it is. It was a well shot scene (apart from the stupid telephone joke bit) but it made no sense why the bombs dropped out, or why they'd be using ships that were so hideously vulnerable, and why the First order was so incompetent as to let the things anywhere near them in the first place, we've seen beter ships in that role in star wars, and Hux acted with terminal stupidity. The whole thing with the hyperspace ramming was beautifully shot and would work great in another setting where such things are accounted for but in Star Wars introduced an entire new element to the universe that completely breaks all of the space battle tactics totally and irrevocably forever. The thing with rose falling in love with fin was ham handed and completely counter to how her whole character was setup so it just didn't work, and robbed Finn of pretty much the only chance he was afforded to do anything meaningful in the entire film.

Thinking of The Force as literally just a set of clearly defined powers for video game characters to level up misses the point of the concept so completely that I'm honestly kind of stunned. I will absolutely grant that the prequels relied on far more rote interpretations of what is possible with the force, but that's part of the reason they were so awful. Yoda went from telling Luke "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter," to doing ninja flips and shooting lightning. Even if you flip it and look at the chronology from his perspective, there's no indication in any of the prequels that he's anything but a small weird warmonger who's brain gets messed with and then gives up after only once trying to stop the evil wizard that was doing it, and going from that to a wise hermit monk is if anything even more nonsensical.
    I'm not saying that the force should be a list of abilities, in fact I'm saying the opposite. The speed that Rey developed her abilities was very very wrong in terms of how Lucas consistently portrayed it's use, to be able to use the force in the way she does should not come so easily to any character no matter how talented or important to the plot. In essence it takes time to master use of the force, it took Luke something like 5 years to get to a level where he could face off against Vader at all, and even then he never touched the emperor's level really, he was never as strong as any of the major Jedi in the prequels, not that he didn't have the potential, he just didn't have that much time into it yet. Basically the force should be a thing that isn't easily mastered for anyone no matter how talented, it takes time and effort and a revaluation of one's innermost self to even touch at all. TLJ especially fell down on this point, it didn't show enough or imply enough to really justify the things Rey was able to do, and those things needed that justification to make sense in the setting and in the movie.

There are an infinite number of places on the continuum between Shakespear and Lucas. As for Christiensen, it's obvious that Lucas didn't direct any of the actors well, so putting the blame on their shoulders misses the mark.

I'm not saying people can't have opinions, but so far in all these pages not once has someone hating on TLJ provided an actual reason beyond "it's dumb and you're dumb lol."

it's become pretty obvious that he has a set of rules in his head for what works and doesn't in the universe (in terms of how the force works and what the physical laws and limitations of it's technology are) that no one making the new movies outside rogue one understands.

This entire post can be summarised as "deus ex machina is a legit technique".

All in all not nearly as bad as I expected going in.

Spoiler:
    I think my biggest problem with it was how the dagger was used. Like it having some dark force aura and an inscription that helps rey intuit going to endor? Fine. The edge of the blade representing the skyline of the crashed death star from a particular angle and distance from the crashed death star with a pop-out protractor that points out the room the map is in on the crashed death star? Dumbest shit star wars ever put on screen.

Death star destroyers were also totally unnecessary. We already saw a dreadnought with a similar looking gun, just say you retrofitted dreadnought guns to star destroyers so they're extra dangerous and have a lot of them, still plenty of motivation for the characters, don't have to ask everyone to believe that you've crammed a moon-sized weapon into a star destroyer.

Pretty sure new droid and rey's new lightsaber being shown for 5 seconds were written into the movie specifically just for merchandising.

That two second sound the giga force lightning made was nice tho.
    Last edited by Thukker; December 20 2019 at 06:37:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post

Wrong
    Wrong
    Wrong

It’s Saturday series made large, no grim dark here thanks for fucks sake
    ANH introduced the child me to the concept of having flesh burnt off a body, torture droids, and throats being crushed.

At least now we can all agree that The Last Jedi is the best one of the new trilogy.

With Rogue One being best franchise related work since Kotor.