hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 69 of 822 FirstFirst ... 19596667686970717279119169569 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 16424

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    A Trump official tried to argue that detained children don’t need soap, toothbrushes, or beds to be ‘safe and sanitary’ while in Border Patrol custody

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/stat...51178177978368

What a bunch of fukin cretins.
    All that money and they won't even spring for the basics...

Also, as a side-show to the main event: Beta O'Cuck proposes 'war tax' as part of veterans' plan

Non-military households would pay a "war tax" to help cover the health care of veterans of newly-authorized wars under a plan Beto O'Rourke's campaign unveiled Monday.
    Households making less than $30,000 per year would pay $25; those making less than $40,000 would pay $57; those making less than $50,000 would pay $98; those making less than $75,000 would pay $164; those making less than $100,000 would pay $270; those making less than $200,000 would pay $485; and those making more than $200,000 would pay $1,000.
    His plan emphasizes care for female veterans, pledging to "cover the full spectrum of women's reproductive health care, and include the provision of contraception with no out-of-pocket costs, in vitro fertilization without regard to marital status or sexual orientation, and abortions to the extent they are provided by other federal programs." VA hospitals would also be required to provide free child care.
    Remember ladies, Service Guarantees Citizenship.
    I'd actually prefer enforced service in a munitions or armaments factory, total war style, but I can see what he's going for.
    Can see what he going for?
    In civilized countries it is called normal practice under regular taxation.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    We have taxation. He want's people not involved in the war to feel something. In ww2, the civilian population got involved. None of this forever, faraway war bullshit. Actual sacrifice.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    A Trump official tried to argue that detained children don’t need soap, toothbrushes, or beds to be ‘safe and sanitary’ while in Border Patrol custody

All that money and they won't even spring for the basics...

Also, as a side-show to the main event: Beta O'Cuck proposes 'war tax' as part of veterans' plan

Non-military households would pay a "war tax" to help cover the health care of veterans of newly-authorized wars under a plan Beto O'Rourke's campaign unveiled Monday.
    Households making less than $30,000 per year would pay $25; those making less than $40,000 would pay $57; those making less than $50,000 would pay $98; those making less than $75,000 would pay $164; those making less than $100,000 would pay $270; those making less than $200,000 would pay $485; and those making more than $200,000 would pay $1,000.
    His plan emphasizes care for female veterans, pledging to "cover the full spectrum of women's reproductive health care, and include the provision of contraception with no out-of-pocket costs, in vitro fertilization without regard to marital status or sexual orientation, and abortions to the extent they are provided by other federal programs." VA hospitals would also be required to provide free child care.
    Remember ladies, Service Guarantees Citizenship.
    I'd actually prefer enforced service in a munitions or armaments factory, total war style, but I can see what he's going for.
    Can see what he going for?
    In civilized countries it is called normal practice under regular taxation.

We have taxation. He want's people not involved in the war to feel something. In ww2, the civilian population got involved. None of this forever, faraway war bullshit. Actual sacrifice.
    You should be taken to the infirmary as you are clearly delusional.
    Ww2 was as close as we ever got to Total War and the extra finance it needed was done with extra taxes and war bonds.

Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Why the fuck should I pay for people to go off to wars I don't fucking want them to be in?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Why the fuck should I pay for people to go off to wars I don't fucking want them to be in?
    What do you think this is? Democracy?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    No.

FYI
    Racism:

Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity.
    Ethnicity:

The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.
    You can argue that Irish or Italian immigrants differed in ethnicity from already assimilated 'Mericans. But can you seriously do so between one group of Germans against another group of Germans? Prussians against Rhinelanders? That sort of thing? I just don't think you can. So racism doesn't apply.

You have to ask yourself: How far are you willing to stretch up this term? And why? Why do you so desperately want to call it racism?
    But they didn't have a common national tradition at the time. Hence the rhetoric.

Just because they are now identified by a common cultural tradition doesn't mean they always were. They didn't see themselves as the same type of German.
    They weren't even Germans that long ago. They were Prussians and Bavarians and so on. The first German state (Deutsches Reich) was founded in 1871. And e.g. Prussia and Bavaria fought wars against each other.
    And since and including 1871 Germany fought three major wars in Europe in Europe alone.
    Exactly. *Since* 1871.

The Austro-Prussian, to give it it's rightful name, wasn't a war against peoples or ethnicities, it was about who got to rule what (William I or Franz Joseph), who got to do the German unification: Prussia or Austria. Bavaria was just the prize the Habsburgs had to pay for losing that war.
    I didn't claim that (=a war against ethnicities) to be the case. I mentioned it as an example of animosity, because you claimed that "they're all Germans, no harsh feelings against each other, racism doesn't apply".

Let's not lose perspective here: there are (and were, at the end of WW2) fewer ethnic differences between the various parts of Germany than there were (and still are) between the English, Welsh, and Scots, let alone the Irish.

Or are you now saying that the various wars and clashes between the English, Scots, and Irish, were, in hindsight, race wars as well?
    I don't know about the animosities on the islands. This hasn't been part of my history courses., which ofc focused on German history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    That's exactly the point I'd imagine. It's effectively a tax on war and we tend to tax things to discourage their use. Not that the tax base has a whole lot of say in the matter of whether you go to war or not and any warmonger would just get rid of the tax to avoid public uproar.

Anyway, it's a nice thought on how to visualize the cost of war but kind of pointless in the US political climate.

Why not rename the department of defence the department of war?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Why not rename the department of defence the department of war?
    You mean restore its original name?

This makes me sick.

Guess this was not a good career move for that woman.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

This makes me sick.

Guess this was not a good career move for that woman.
    I doubt there will be any consequences for her. Seems to me she's just a lawyer trying a shitty case.
    Basically. On that:

Couple of comments re: recent posts:

1. No War, nay, no use of military forces of any kind without formal declaration of War by Congress and funding by Congress to do it. The endless use of adverturistic military power as psudo-foreign policy purely by executive decision is one of the worst changes in American governance, period, hands down.

2. The "War Tax" is stupid. Of course, so is nearly the entirety of the U.S. Tax code today. A system of a million different derp-that's-a-good-idea taxes and wanna-be-deterrent-taxes is asinine. This one is no different, it's trying to solve a problem (see above) sideways rather the way the system was designed to work. Frankly, I'd toss almost all the various stupid little taxes, and install a universal income tax with appropriately progressive levels of taxation, and call it a day.

3. Bonus points for the irony of the comment "why should I have to pay for War I don't support". That's how society works, we all pay in our small share for everything, not just the stuff we "like". Govt a la carte isn't a thing, nor should it be, unless you want righties opting out too. And again, it attacks the problem the wrong way, the problem isn't taxation, it's allowing an executive to get us into wars and then wage them with far too little oversight and control. Solve the problem.

4. Clearly, Congress sucks and is doing almost none of the jobs it was assigned to do particularly well. Be nice if we could solve THAT problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

3. Bonus points for the irony of the comment "why should I have to pay for War I don't support". That's how society works, we all pay in our small share for everything, not just the stuff we "like". Govt a la carte isn't a thing, nor should it be, unless you want righties opting out too. And again, it attacks the problem the wrong way, the problem isn't taxation, it's allowing an executive to get us into wars and then wage them with far too little oversight and control. Solve the problem.
    You mean like health care, and taking care of our fellow citizens?

"Righties" are already cheating and shirking their fair share of societal costs at every opportunity. I don't see why the rest of us should be forced into some retarded single payer military system. It's not what the market wants and it stifles choice.

If they want to go bomb brown people in the middle east because it's the only way they can feel superior to something, they can fucking pay for it themselves. The rest of us only want the basic, defensive army.
    meh

The rest of us only want the basic, defensive army.

lol, Afghanistan AND Iraq were supported by both sides of the aisle, don't kid yourself. War is an American problem, not exclusively a right wing problem
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    The rest of us only want the basic, defensive army.

lol, Afghanistan AND Iraq were supported by both sides of the aisle, don't kid yourself. War is an American problem, not exclusively a right wing problem
    Under what measure were the democrats, at that time, not a slightly right party?
    meh

When have they stopped being a slightly right party?

Obama got elected on huge anti-war sentiment and decided the best thing to do with this was move the surge from Iraq to Afghanistan.
    Last edited by mewninn; June 25 2019 at 05:29:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    When have they stopped being a slightly right party?

Obama got elected on huge anti-war sentiment and decided the best thing to do with this was move the surge from Iraq to Afghanistan.
    Well, I think we are seeing a slight shifting left, not necessarily at leadership level, but st least in the trenches.

Obama’s worse crime was not putting Bush and Cheney in jail for war crimes.
    meh

Someday Democrats will figure out that their base doesn't just stop existing after a primary

Expert worship is one of the most annoying genres of article in the Trump era:

https://www.newstatesman.com/2019/06...llure-simplism

People who complicate things – which might be a good definition of an expert – are viewed with suspicion. Even as they fail and fail again, the politicians chant incantations to keep complexity at bay: Leave means Leave, no deal is better than a bad deal, believe in Britain. The slogans are eating us alive.
    Doesn't that also describe a whole horde of experts telling us we need to keep fighting in the ME? Or if we just privatize *a little more* we'll get that magical 3% growth?

The people who write these articles have goldfish brains

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Expert worship is one of the most annoying genres of article in the Trump era:

https://www.newstatesman.com/2019/06...llure-simplism

People who complicate things – which might be a good definition of an expert – are viewed with suspicion. Even as they fail and fail again, the politicians chant incantations to keep complexity at bay: Leave means Leave, no deal is better than a bad deal, believe in Britain. The slogans are eating us alive.
    Doesn't that also describe a whole horde of experts telling us we need to keep fighting in the ME? Or if we just privatize *a little more* we'll get that magical 3% growth?

The people who write these articles have goldfish brains
    idk, he's right about one thing. Most people are kind of stupid.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

You mean like health care, and taking care of our fellow citizens?

"Righties" are already cheating and shirking their fair share of societal costs at every opportunity. I don't see why the rest of us should be forced into some retarded single payer military system. It's not what the market wants and it stifles choice.

If they want to go bomb brown people in the middle east because it's the only way they can feel superior to something, they can fucking pay for it themselves. The rest of us only want the basic, defensive army.
    I'm kind of tempted to post that P.O.V. on reddit and see if it's possible to lose 94k karma from a single post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.