hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 559 of 820 FirstFirst ... 59459509549556557558559560561562569609659 ... LastLast
Results 11,161 to 11,180 of 16382

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

I read that the case that brought this about had the guy get 500 years for rape (one of three charges, with another 500 years from one of the others). Which is, like, what? Why give out sentences like that, are they trying to be a parody of themselves?

Why not just give him a bazzilion years, since apparently you are worried he might discover immortality, but apparently dont know what "life without parole" means? Not to mention that it is in no way proportional to the charge.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; July 10 2020 at 12:03:00 AM.

tbh fuck rapists, death sentence would be too good for that crime. That ofc assumes no false accusations, no wrongfully accused etc but I have no empathy whatsoever for rapists.

To answer the question: because a sentence of 500 years allows possibility of parole.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    tbh fuck rapists, death sentence would be too good for that crime. That ofc assumes no false accusations, no wrongfully accused etc
    See, that's where the problem is.

Hard evidence for rape isn't easy to develop and witnesses lately are unreliable at best with the radfem craziness.

Ofc that's US-related, a rape accusation is not something thrown around here as lightly.
    Last edited by RazoR; July 10 2020 at 01:02:32 AM.

It's not only US related, for various reasons (from other men denying one of "us" would to it to family pressure to shame to fear to ineffective police to false accusations diluting actual cases and back) it's hard for a woman to prove rape unless the guy literally is caught doing it.

And Russia and violence against women laws and prosecution of it have one shit of a track record, razbro, you got to admit it.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

And Russia and violence against women laws and prosecution of it have one shit of a track record, razbro, you got to admit it.
    No, i really don't. Ever since the revolution the prosecution of intergender crime was fierce. Wartime rape was literally a bullet to the head with paperwork filled out later, if at all.

Most problems with it now stem from the return of traditional™ values© as women are reluctant to come forward with domestic or other abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    No, i really don't. Ever since the revolution the prosecution of intergender crime was fierce. Wartime rape was literally a bullet to the head with paperwork filled out later, if at all.

Most problems with it now stem from the return of traditional™ values© as women are reluctant to come forward with domestic or other abuse.
    You are right Russia really is the shining beacon of women's rights. Gay rights too

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post

You are right Russia really is the shining beacon of women's rights. Gay rights too
    But you see, there are no gays, so there is no need for rights.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Wartime rape was literally a bullet to the head with paperwork filled out later, if at all.
    200k to upwards of several million rapes during the occupation of Germany and Poland really doesn't paint a picture of the Soviet government systematically cracking down on it. I mean sure, a Red Army soldier committing rape where a lot more likely to be punished "by a bullet" than a Wehrmacht soldier committing rape in the USSR (mass rapes on just as large scale happened in Russia, the Wehrmacht used rape basically as a terror weapon, and it was much more institutionalized) but that doesn't really say a lot.

If rapes where punished to the degree you make it out to be it wouldn't have been so common.

Also rapes where committed more by rear echelon troops and not frontline soldiers in the Red Army according to Beevor.

Thread right now

https://youtu.be/BhxBWJxPH4Y

F foe hype

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tighten; July 10 2020 at 03:31:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    I read that the case that brought this about had the guy get 500 years for rape (one of three charges, with another 500 years from one of the others). Which is, like, what? Why give out sentences like that, are they trying to be a parody of themselves?

Why not just give him a bazzilion years, since apparently you are worried he might discover immortality, but apparently dont know what "life without parole" means? Not to mention that it is in no way proportional to the charge.
    Because I saw a LegalEagle video on YouTube explaining it:

The 500 years come from a number of crimes, each carrying a sentence of x amount of years. Let's assume the 500 come from 25 rapes each 20 years worth of jail time.

Those 25 rapes each have their own victim, investigation and so on. The 25 sentences will run concurrent to each other. So it isn't 500 in length but 20 years 25 times in parallel. This however makes early release a lot harder. To reduce the maximum prison length below 20 years the defendant would need to prove mistrials or similar in 25 cases. Which is nigh impossible.

They might have the second set of cases run after the first set, so that it effectively turns into a life sentence.
    Why they didn't go for 25 times life sentence I don't understand.

But I also didn't look into this one. But the concurrent sentencing thing is the usual way they hand out 500 year or similar sentences.

Maybe someone can link the video, I'm on mobile.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

I think it's because life imprisonment doesn't allow parole yet 500 years allows possibility of parole but i am not a lawyer

I think it's because life imprisonment doesn't allow parole yet 500 years allows possibility of parole but i am not a lawyer
    Because that makes sense when you have 20+ cases running concurrently and the defendant has to beat each and every one.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

type of thing and they didn't give the guy life without parole because maybe some crime isn't deemed harsh enough for life without parole ah who the fuck even knows how US justice minds work

In other news that surprised nobody actually, House Democrats, Working With Liz Cheney, Restrict Trump’s Planned Withdrawal of Troops From Afghanistan and Germany

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/02/...n-and-germany/
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; July 11 2020 at 01:00:42 AM.

wtf i love 20 year wars now

type of thing and they didn't give the guy life without parole because maybe some crime isn't deemed harsh enough for life without parole ah who the fuck even knows how US justice minds work
    Each crime is tried and sentenced, usually to make sure someone who has committed those crimes doesn't slip by on one or two being handled incorrectly. The law still dictates that the defendant be sentenced for each crime, and so some of those may be life without parole, and others may not.

Our justice system really just needs a complete overhaul, and a less biased judge spectrum. Our prisons and the profit around them pervade everything.

In other news that surprised nobody actually, House Democrats, Working With Liz Cheney, Restrict Trump’s Planned Withdrawal of Troops From Afghanistan and Germany

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/02/...n-and-germany/
    the two parties

Shocking turn of events that will surprise no one..: Trump pardons Roger Stone.

(CNN)President Donald Trump on Friday commuted the prison sentence of his longtime friend Roger Stone, who was convicted of crimes that included lying to Congress in part, prosecutors said, to protect the President. The announcement came just days before Stone was set to report to a federal prison in Georgia.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/10/p...ncy/index.html

Edit: Obviously there is now two legal systems in america, one for the president and his friends and a totally different for the rest of you.

Now?

If Rich +100% defense, 50% resistance to hard prison
    If Rich and white +200% defense, immunity to hard prison, 50% chance of Grants Powerful Connection if defense roll fails

If poor and/or black -100% Defense and -100% Representation, -75% resistance to hard prison (even for minor offense)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.