hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 371 of 509 FirstFirst ... 271321361368369370371372373374381421471 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,420 of 10163

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

  1. #7401
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,940
    So, why do you think this bias exists, and what does it say about Sanders?

  2. #7402
    Movember 2012 Elriche Oshego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21, 2011
    Posts
    8,163
    We can't let Bernie get his hands on the nuclear codes.

  3. #7403
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    14,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    So, why do you think this bias exists, and what does it say about Sanders?
    1. It exists because Corporations (and those who own them) do not agree with Sander's on tax and oversight/regulatory policy.

    2. It says Sanders favors taxation and regulatory policies that would be hard on Corporations (and those who own them).

    Honestly, tho, the hysteria is a bit premature. Sanders, if elected (big if tbqh), would have alot of trouble IMO in getting anything whatsoever passed through Congress.

    His possible Presidential election win might prove pyrrhic, once he finally gets in office, faces all that Presidential stress on his already weakened 78 (79 when he would take office) year old heart, and is unable to progress any of his preferred policies past the Republican+Moderate Establishment Dems Legislature.

    I do wonder who his VP choice will be. With his questionable health, that's a question that could have meaningful impact.

    Is AOC too young to be his VP? She could really help him with his weaker non-Bernie-Bro areas (women, minorities).


  4. #7404
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,940
    She is too young to be President, so she is too young to be VP. Or maybe she could be VP, but she’s be passed over in the line of succession in the event of a vacancy. Not quite sure off the top of my head.

    She’s eligible in 2024.

    Also, Sanders has no problem with women or minorities. He leads among minorities nationwide, and more women support him than do men (as is typical with candidates on the left).

  5. #7405
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    14,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    She is too young to be President, so she is too young to be VP. Or maybe she could be VP, but she’s be passed over in the line of succession in the event of a vacancy. Not quite sure off the top of my head.

    She’s eligible in 2024.

    Also, Sanders has no problem with women or minorities. He leads among minorities nationwide, and more women support him than do men (as is typical with candidates on the left).
    Yup. Did a quick google, from Washington Examiner via Noticias Telemundo:

    “It’d be an honor to be vice president,” she said in a weekend interview when asked about becoming Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’s running mate should he become the Democratic presidential nominee.

    But, she added, at 30, she is five years short of the constitutional age limit for vice president — or president.

    Well, I can't be his running mate, because I'm not old enough. I'm 30, and you have to be at least 35. But, it'd be an honor to be vice president,” she told Noticias Telemundo.

    She will be eligible for the job in time for the 2024 election.


  6. #7406
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    We can't let Bernie get his hands on the nuclear codes.
    Real-talk: waiting for the memes of Corbyn & Sanders laughing while they appear to nuke Israel. Honestly surprised they haven't pushed the antisemitism smears harder (yes, I know, don't @ me)

  7. #7407
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    32,116
    I guess the problem is bernie being a jew himself.

  8. #7408
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

    Honestly, tho, the hysteria is a bit premature. Sanders, if elected (big if tbqh), would have alot of trouble IMO in getting anything whatsoever passed through Congress.
    It could be argued that Bernie's greatest power as president will be nominating the leadership of the DNC and allowing him to shape the future of the party. That makes a proper progressive congress a reality for the future.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  9. #7409
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,993
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    I guess the problem is bernie being a jew himself.
    Reality hasn't been much of a barrier before now.
    Last edited by Sparq; February 24 2020 at 02:45:08 PM.

  10. #7410
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,383
    WTF there's a minimum age to be President that's higher than 'legal voting age'. Why?

  11. #7411
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    14,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

    Honestly, tho, the hysteria is a bit premature. Sanders, if elected (big if tbqh), would have alot of trouble IMO in getting anything whatsoever passed through Congress.
    It could be argued that Bernie's greatest power as president will be nominating the leadership of the DNC and allowing him to shape the future of the party. That makes a proper progressive congress a reality for the future.
    That seems like an entirely reasonable viewpoint. Hard to disagree tbqh.


  12. #7412
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    WTF there's a minimum age to be President that's higher than 'legal voting age'. Why?
    Er, because being President requires a little more experience than voting?

  13. #7413
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,993
    It ageism!

    Couldn't get this to display in the last post:


  14. #7414
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    WTF there's a minimum age to be President that's higher than 'legal voting age'. Why?
    Er, because being President requires a little more experience than voting?
    Isn't determining whether the electorate considers a candidate has the required experience to be President the purpose of voting?

  15. #7415
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    We can't let Bernie get his hands on the nuclear codes.
    Real-talk: waiting for the memes of Corbyn & Sanders laughing while they appear to nuke Israel. Honestly surprised they haven't pushed the antisemitism smears harder (yes, I know, don't @ me)
    Bernie is better at message discipline and doesn't have the same problems Corbyn had in having to manage the party as a whole.

    Bernie can align himself as a true Democrat outsider because there are clear tensions between him and the party machinery. Corbyn crafted the party machinery into a top down centralist bureaucracy, which meant he had to take responsibility for the antisemitic lunatics in local politics and he wasn't equipped to combat the media narrative about it (partly because they dealt with it slowly and badly).

    The closest to this Bernie has to deal with is some of his supporters being mean to dipshit news anchors on twitter, but nobody cares about that so it never got any traction.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  16. #7416
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

    Honestly, tho, the hysteria is a bit premature. Sanders, if elected (big if tbqh), would have alot of trouble IMO in getting anything whatsoever passed through Congress.
    It could be argued that Bernie's greatest power as president will be nominating the leadership of the DNC and allowing him to shape the future of the party. That makes a proper progressive congress a reality for the future.
    That seems like an entirely reasonable viewpoint. Hard to disagree tbqh.
    It also makes him vulnerable to getting fucked over by the party who should be supporting him since I wouldn't be too shocked if the DNC value the continued existence of their political consulting grift over kicking out Trump.

    Another 4 years of Trump gives them the loser victimhood they seem to love and several book deals explaining why Hillary would have done better than Sanders or whatever.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  17. #7417
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    WTF there's a minimum age to be President that's higher than 'legal voting age'. Why?
    Er, because being President requires a little more experience than voting?
    Isn't determining whether the electorate considers a candidate has the required experience to be President the purpose of voting?
    Yes, so?

  18. #7418
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,940
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    I guess the problem is bernie being a jew himself.
    That’s not really an obstacle. He’s not “really” Jewish, you see...

  19. #7419
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    WTF there's a minimum age to be President that's higher than 'legal voting age'. Why?
    Er, because being President requires a little more experience than voting?
    Isn't determining whether the electorate considers a candidate has the required experience to be President the purpose of voting?
    The Constitution is an imperfect document, eh?

    But 35 seems a reasonable age limit, if there has to be one.

  20. #7420
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

    But 35 seems a reasonable age limit, if there has to be one.
    Reasonable upper limit
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •