hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 363 of 508 FirstFirst ... 263313353360361362363364365366373413463 ... LastLast
Results 7,241 to 7,260 of 10141

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    That's before you get into proper Ag science like regenerative farming or similar. That shit is complex and (from a lay person looking in) poorly understood.
    I have two degrees and I am struggling to learn all the new info I need to farm effectively. How to service modern diesel engines and hydraulic systems. Soil chemistry. Animal care. It's not just how to do it but how to do it cost effectively.

It's part of the growing disconnect between the people who do stuff at the micro level and the people who govern and plan on a macro level.

That's the big thing, how to do it effectively.

Sure anyone can dig a hole and wait for it to grow, but good fucking luck getting any productivity out of it.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    That man has clearly never even tried to grow a potted flower or something.

Spectacularly ignorant and detached.

NBS
    Jeb Bush got twice the polling with half the money, and nobody liked him. Really, Mike, why are you doing this?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

NBS
    Jeb Bush got twice the polling with half the money, and nobody liked him. Really, Mike, why are you doing this?
    To stop Sanders obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

NBS
    To stop Sanders obviously.
    He has more money than most people can comprehend having, for him it's easy to make a few calls and get entire advertising agencies dedicated to blanketing the media (and I guess private investigators look into anyone who reports negative things about you) without really noticing a difference in his bank account, and certainly without having any impact at all on his standard of living. I'm going to make a prediction right now that after this fascist ego carnivale has run it's course we're going to hear about a lot of people getting on the MB Money Train and cynically milking it for everything they could.

It's also probably honestly just that he thinks he can be good at anything because he fell into a media empire and had moderate success grifting off of New York for the better part of a decade. He's very obviously not an intelligent person, but even a moron who gets lucky enough can rise to the top of our putrid kleptocracy. In that way him and Trump are a lot more alike than either would want to admit.
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

These days you need IT, mechanical engineering and veterinary science to be a farmer.

Looking at putting in a crop of either barley or rye given the climate. I have a restored 1980s tractor I use to cut and bale hay, but will need to either buy or lease new machinery to sow and harvest grain.

Basically all new tractors and harvesters are fully computerized.

Download GIS data for your farm.

Use software to map out the most efficient pathing for your activity to create a GPS map.

Download GPS map into the tractor's computer.

The dairies in my region are increasing automated, where the cows wear RIF tags and they go to the milking shed when they want, enter a stall, and the machine washes their udder, laser scans to attach the cups, milks while measuring milk solids and other factors, dispenses the appropriate feed to the cow, and then the cow walks off.

Low tech indeed.
    Maxwell IRL

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    These days you need IT, mechanical engineering and veterinary science to be a farmer.

Looking at putting in a crop of either barley or rye given the climate. I have a restored 1980s tractor I use to cut and bale hay, but will need to either buy or lease new machinery to sow and harvest grain.

Basically all new tractors and harvesters are fully computerized.

Download GIS data for your farm.

Use software to map out the most efficient pathing for your activity to create a GPS map.

Download GPS map into the tractor's computer.

The dairies in my region are increasing automated, where the cows wear RIF tags and they go to the milking shed when they want, enter a stall, and the machine washes their udder, laser scans to attach the cups, milks while measuring milk solids and other factors, dispenses the appropriate feed to the cow, and then the cow walks off.

Low tech indeed.
    Maxwell IRL

How defamatory!!!!

My shotgun is an under-over and my pregnant hoe wears Australian flag hot pants!

i honestly dk why i wrote maxwell

That's before you get into proper Ag science like regenerative farming or similar. That shit is complex and (from a lay person looking in) poorly understood.
    I have two degrees and I am struggling to learn all the new info I need to farm effectively. How to service modern diesel engines and hydraulic systems. Soil chemistry. Animal care. It's not just how to do it but how to do it cost effectively.

It's part of the growing disconnect between the people who do stuff at the micro level and the people who govern and plan on a macro level.
    What's the difference in yield per acre for someone farming now vs 100 years ago, vs 500 years ago? Say we're farming wheat. I'm just curious what all of this extra complexity has bought us.

It lets John Deere charge monopoly rents on tractor software and enrich their shareholders.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post

What's the difference in yield per acre for someone farming now vs 100 years ago, vs 500 years ago? Say we're farming wheat. I'm just curious what all of this extra complexity has bought us.

Famine is nonexistent in countries that have tripled or quadrupled their yields over the past 100 years.

So you’re saying Malthus was wrong?

Malthus, and other 200+ year old thinkers were operating in a very different world to ours. there is a lot they get wrong.

Also, those production graphs only start looking better as we get over our fear of GMO, and agtech moves forward.

Bring on vat grown waygu.
    meh

Ah yes, John Deere can then charge monopoly rents on GMO seedlings too.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

That's a problem of regulation, not technology.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    That's a problem of regulation, not technology.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    But regulating business is communism!
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Bring on vat grown food so we can properly manage our phosphates.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Bring on vat grown food so we can properly manage our phosphates.
    You just have to piss in the vat first.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot