hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 361 of 581 FirstFirst ... 261311351358359360361362363364371411461 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,220 of 11610

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

  1. #7201
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,789
    Totally fine and normal.

    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  2. #7202
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    17,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    A moderate Democrat would just return a much more competent analogue to Trump in 4 years.
    I'd prefer a four year delay, and opportunity for more, at the least, to a landslide second Trump term and the inevitable doubling down on what he's done so far.

    If the world could have slowed Hitler by four additional years, who knows what could have been avoided. Maybe nothing. But maybe all of it too.
    Oh Alistair, it seems like it was only yesterday that you were encouraging everyone to laugh at me for saying Trump was a fascist. And just look at you now!

    They grow up so quick these days <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  3. #7203
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,509
    Hitler would have loved nothing more than four more years to build up the Wehrmacht. That was part of his original plan, at least as far as he told his own military.
    For the late 1930s he envisioned small wars to plunder, but not a large war.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossba...um?wprov=sfla1

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  4. #7204
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Hitler would have loved nothing more than four more years to build up the Wehrmacht. That was part of his original plan, at least as far as he told his own military.
    For the late 1930s he envisioned small wars to plunder, but not a large war.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossba...um?wprov=sfla1

    Tapapapatalk
    I have heard the opposite, that Hitler believed that the longer he waited to have a war with the USSR the less likely the chances of victory.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet...ns_controversy
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; February 15 2020 at 01:40:39 PM.

  5. #7205
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Hitler would have loved nothing more than four more years to build up the Wehrmacht. That was part of his original plan, at least as far as he told his own military.
    For the late 1930s he envisioned small wars to plunder, but not a large war.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossba...um?wprov=sfla1

    Tapapapatalk
    I have heard the opposite, that Hitler believed that the longer he waited to have a war with the USSR the less likely the chances of victory.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet...ns_controversy
    Funny how the German article makes this far more clear than the English one. The English one says that the theory was debunked.

    The German one mentions early on how this was debunked in the 60s, 1987 and 1997. This is pure and unadulteredre revisionist crap.

    Four important counter points:
    The Wehrmacht planned and prepared for a whole year.
    Hitler and the Wehrmacht repeatedly said that they will attack the Sovier Union. The article I linked earlier mentioned that Hitler in 1936 didn't want a large war before 1940. That fits.
    No German documents calling it a preventive war.
    The German intelligence had detailed knowledge of Soviet war plans and their knowledge.

    I would also like to add that the Soviets adhered fully to the Molotov-Ribbentrop-Pact and Stalin ignored his own intelligence sources on the coming attack. For that I suggest reading up on the life of Richard Sorge, a German citizen spying for the Soviets in Japan.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sorge

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  6. #7206
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    A moderate Democrat would just return a much more competent analogue to Trump in 4 years.
    I'd prefer a four year delay, and opportunity for more, at the least, to a landslide second Trump term and the inevitable doubling down on what he's done so far.

    If the world could have slowed Hitler by four additional years, who knows what could have been avoided. Maybe nothing. But maybe all of it too.
    Oh Alistair, it seems like it was only yesterday that you were encouraging everyone to laugh at me for saying Trump was a fascist. And just look at you now!

    They grow up so quick these days <3
    Pepperidge Farm remembers.

  7. #7207
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,652
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    One day (soon), deep learning will make it all work.
    I wouldn’t hold my breath, if I were you, unless it is a simple yes/no question...
    meh

  8. #7208
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,044
    The data here is... interesting, and somewhat unsurprising.

    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...democracy.html

    Across the board, the assumption is that radical views go hand in hand with support for authoritarianism, while moderation suggests a more committed approach to the democratic process.

    Is it true?

    Maybe not. My research suggests that across Europe and North America, centrists are the least supportive of democracy, the least committed to its institutions and the most supportive of authoritarianism.


    Research paper: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fOG...REl8GbaoH/view

  9. #7209
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    The data here is... interesting, and somewhat unsurprising.

    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...democracy.html

    Across the board, the assumption is that radical views go hand in hand with support for authoritarianism, while moderation suggests a more committed approach to the democratic process.

    Is it true?

    Maybe not. My research suggests that across Europe and North America, centrists are the least supportive of democracy, the least committed to its institutions and the most supportive of authoritarianism.


    Research paper: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fOG...REl8GbaoH/view
    One of the centrist talking points in the wake of 2016 is that political parties should start exercising more control over the primary process to filter "unacceptable" candidates.

    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...ders-2020.html

    Democratic Party insiders have begun freaking out (justifiably, in my view) about the possibility Bernie Sanders will head the ticket. “Unless another Democrat rapidly consolidates support,” the New York Times notes, “Mr. Sanders could continue to win primaries and caucuses without broadening his political appeal, purely on the strength of his rock-solid base on the left — a prospect that alarms Democratic Party leaders who view Mr. Sanders and his slogan of democratic socialism as wildly risky bets in a general election.”

    ...

    That same strategy may work for Sanders. But what if it doesn’t? What if the party … decides?
    https://www.brookings.edu/research/v...re-democratic/

    In 2018, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee worked aggressively to weed out weak and extreme candidates in swing districts. For example, the committee persuaded a weak candidate in California’s 21st district to withdraw, and it campaigned in Texas’s seventh district against a candidate the party deemed too liberal to win;

    Although some activists were unhappy with those interventions, the party’s regulars were delighted by the wins and more voters got candidates they could support. The result was to make the process more representative, not less so. Moreover, because the Democrats were able to win a majority in the U.S. House, quality control advanced the interests of the broader party coalition.
    uh huh

    Insiders look for whether candidates are able to work with others, and whether they have sound judgment, adaptability, a nuanced way of dealing with problems, and influential relationships inside and outside government. Insiders also observe candidates’ character, and they can detect personal flaws that might affect sound decision-making. Insiders know from experience the attributes and talents necessary for effective governing. Voters are not privy to that kind of detailed, hands-on knowledge.
    We need more nuanced and agreeable candidates!

    We recommend doing the opposite of what the DNC chose to do with its Unity Reform Commission. Instead of diminishing the role of superdelegates by preventing them from voting on the first ballot or reducing their numbers, the party should augment their influence.
    Last edited by mewninn; February 15 2020 at 04:01:13 PM.

  10. #7210
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    6,044
    All of this just boils down to Bloomberg being the perfect Dem candidate, eh?

  11. #7211
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,592
    Pretty much. As long as the rhetoric is dialed down and any serious reform is roadblocked, what more could they want?

  12. #7212
    Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24, 2011
    Location
    Putting owls in your Moss
    Posts
    9,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Hitler would have loved nothing more than four more years to build up the Wehrmacht. That was part of his original plan, at least as far as he told his own military.
    For the late 1930s he envisioned small wars to plunder, but not a large war.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossba...um?wprov=sfla1

    Tapapapatalk
    I have heard the opposite, that Hitler believed that the longer he waited to have a war with the USSR the less likely the chances of victory.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet...ns_controversy
    Funny how the German article makes this far more clear than the English one. The English one says that the theory was debunked.

    The German one mentions early on how this was debunked in the 60s, 1987 and 1997. This is pure and unadulteredre revisionist crap.

    Four important counter points:
    The Wehrmacht planned and prepared for a whole year.
    Hitler and the Wehrmacht repeatedly said that they will attack the Sovier Union. The article I linked earlier mentioned that Hitler in 1936 didn't want a large war before 1940. That fits.
    No German documents calling it a preventive war.
    The German intelligence had detailed knowledge of Soviet war plans and their knowledge.

    I would also like to add that the Soviets adhered fully to the Molotov-Ribbentrop-Pact and Stalin ignored his own intelligence sources on the coming attack. For that I suggest reading up on the life of Richard Sorge, a German citizen spying for the Soviets in Japan.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sorge

    Tapapapatalk
    Really have strong doubts about the German economy at that time being able to handle four more years of the insane military expenditure Hitler put the country under. 4 more years of MEFO bills when there were 12 billion Reichsmark of Mefo bills by 1939 compared to 19 billion of normal government bonds?

    Letting Hitler rearm for 4 more years could where well have stopped the second world war from ever happening.

  13. #7213
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,652
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Hitler would have loved nothing more than four more years to build up the Wehrmacht. That was part of his original plan, at least as far as he told his own military.
    For the late 1930s he envisioned small wars to plunder, but not a large war.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossba...um?wprov=sfla1

    Tapapapatalk
    I have heard the opposite, that Hitler believed that the longer he waited to have a war with the USSR the less likely the chances of victory.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet...ns_controversy
    Funny how the German article makes this far more clear than the English one. The English one says that the theory was debunked.

    The German one mentions early on how this was debunked in the 60s, 1987 and 1997. This is pure and unadulteredre revisionist crap.

    Four important counter points:
    The Wehrmacht planned and prepared for a whole year.
    Hitler and the Wehrmacht repeatedly said that they will attack the Sovier Union. The article I linked earlier mentioned that Hitler in 1936 didn't want a large war before 1940. That fits.
    No German documents calling it a preventive war.
    The German intelligence had detailed knowledge of Soviet war plans and their knowledge.

    I would also like to add that the Soviets adhered fully to the Molotov-Ribbentrop-Pact and Stalin ignored his own intelligence sources on the coming attack. For that I suggest reading up on the life of Richard Sorge, a German citizen spying for the Soviets in Japan.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sorge

    Tapapapatalk
    Really have strong doubts about the German economy at that time being able to handle four more years of the insane military expenditure Hitler put the country under. 4 more years of MEFO bills when there were 12 billion Reichsmark of Mefo bills by 1939 compared to 19 billion of normal government bonds?

    Letting Hitler rearm for 4 more years could where well have stopped the second world war from ever happening.
    Bread riots as Maus II production bankrupted the entire economy.
    meh

  14. #7214
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,592
    The production of pzkpfw E-100 must go on

  15. #7215
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    I have heard the opposite, that Hitler believed that the longer he waited to have a war with the USSR the less likely the chances of victory.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet...ns_controversy
    Funny how the German article makes this far more clear than the English one. The English one says that the theory was debunked.

    The German one mentions early on how this was debunked in the 60s, 1987 and 1997. This is pure and unadulteredre revisionist crap.
    Ah yeah it's just something I lazily read about once, WWII is probably my least favorite era of history so I didn't bother factchecking.

  16. #7216
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,547
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    The production of pzkpfw E-100 must go on
    the volk will sustain themselves with their pride in the vaterland

  17. #7217
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,509
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Hitler would have loved nothing more than four more years to build up the Wehrmacht. That was part of his original plan, at least as far as he told his own military.
    For the late 1930s he envisioned small wars to plunder, but not a large war.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossba...um?wprov=sfla1

    Tapapapatalk
    I have heard the opposite, that Hitler believed that the longer he waited to have a war with the USSR the less likely the chances of victory.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet...ns_controversy
    Funny how the German article makes this far more clear than the English one. The English one says that the theory was debunked.

    The German one mentions early on how this was debunked in the 60s, 1987 and 1997. This is pure and unadulteredre revisionist crap.

    Four important counter points:
    The Wehrmacht planned and prepared for a whole year.
    Hitler and the Wehrmacht repeatedly said that they will attack the Sovier Union. The article I linked earlier mentioned that Hitler in 1936 didn't want a large war before 1940. That fits.
    No German documents calling it a preventive war.
    The German intelligence had detailed knowledge of Soviet war plans and their knowledge.

    I would also like to add that the Soviets adhered fully to the Molotov-Ribbentrop-Pact and Stalin ignored his own intelligence sources on the coming attack. For that I suggest reading up on the life of Richard Sorge, a German citizen spying for the Soviets in Japan.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sorge

    Tapapapatalk
    Really have strong doubts about the German economy at that time being able to handle four more years of the insane military expenditure Hitler put the country under. 4 more years of MEFO bills when there were 12 billion Reichsmark of Mefo bills by 1939 compared to 19 billion of normal government bonds?

    Letting Hitler rearm for 4 more years could where well have stopped the second world war from ever happening.
    Same. There are other areas I studied more in depth. But recognizing revisionist bs is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    I have heard the opposite, that Hitler believed that the longer he waited to have a war with the USSR the less likely the chances of victory.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet...ns_controversy
    Funny how the German article makes this far more clear than the English one. The English one says that the theory was debunked.

    The German one mentions early on how this was debunked in the 60s, 1987 and 1997. This is pure and unadulteredre revisionist crap.
    Ah yeah it's just something I lazily read about once, WWII is probably my least favorite era of history so I didn't bother factchecking.
    Do you think he would have cared much? And those four years would have ended in 1940. He didn't want peace until then. He just didn't want to fight the UK or France until then.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  18. #7218
    Ski Boot Fortior's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    2,961
    When can we call up Martin Sheen to head the dem ticket? BARTLETT 2020!
    Real men pvp in barges.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

  19. #7219
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    21,789
    I'm struggling to understand why a candidate like Warren is sticking in the race, are there other states where she dominates a certain voting demographic?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  20. #7220
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I'm struggling to understand why a candidate like Warren is sticking in the race, are there other states where she dominates a certain voting demographic?
    Because she's option B.

    She's the option where if there's a contested convention she can be the compromise option between the progressives and centrists.

    I don't think that's realistic, but if she stays close enough for long enough maybe.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •