hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 357 of 506 FirstFirst ... 257307347354355356357358359360367407457 ... LastLast
Results 7,121 to 7,140 of 10120

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Can I also point out that Trump has hardly laid a finger on Bernie thus far.

The worst he's done is call him 'Crazy Bernie' basically (a nickname which also hasn't caught on).

Now some here will now claim that's because he has nothing to attack Bernie on.

But that's bullshit. He send Giuliany half way around the world to solicit/find dirt on Biden (who he actually fears running against).

No, In think the reason is that he knows that Bernie is not much of a threat. In other words: he'd love running against Bernie.

He might lose the rustbelt to Bernie (perhaps), but he'll pick up far far more electoral votes in states like Florida, Pennsylvania, and the south.

Those polls that put Bernie winning with 5 points in a one-on-one with Trump? I think those numbers are soft. For Bernie.

Sorry, but I just don't think the 'revolution' is happening. Or will. It'll just be Corbyn^2.
    Who else is looking forward to the $60-billion “Criticizing Mike Bloomberg is antisemitism” machine?
    Bernie the anti-semitic angry Jewish grandpa.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

The worst he's done is call him 'Crazy Bernie' basically (a nickname which also hasn't caught on).

But that's bullshit. He send Giuliany half way around the world to solicit/find dirt on Biden (who he actually fears running against).

No, In think the reason is that he knows that Bernie is not much of a threat. In other words: he'd love running against Bernie.

He might lose the rustbelt to Bernie (perhaps), but he'll pick up far far more electoral votes in states like Florida, Pennsylvania, and the south.

Those polls that put Bernie winning with 5 points in a one-on-one with Trump? I think those numbers are soft. For Bernie.

Sorry, but I just don't think the 'revolution' is happening. Or will. It'll just be Corbyn^2.
    Who else is looking forward to the $60-billion “Criticizing Mike Bloomberg is antisemitism” machine?
    Bloomberg doesn't even show up for debates ...
    He doesn't need to right now, You can say what you want about him, but I imagine he's quite canny politically. I imagine NYC mayoral politics are quite brutal.

When it's a field of maybe 3, then I figure he'll debate.
    meh

the contortions will be amazing to behold tbh.

"Jewish man who lost familiy in the extermination camps is a literal nazi for questioning incredibly wealthy man and not liking Israel"

i want to see some variation of that hit the mainstream media, it would truly be the capstone demonstrating the reality distortion field.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Pretty sure he's already been accused of being a self hating Jew
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Also by Finnish political standards your commie-Bernie would be fit to lead our right-leaning conservative party no problem...
    Can you educate me?

What is the difference (in policy) between a Finnish Right-Wing Healthcare System (i.e. Bernie's Plan, per above) and a proper Left-Wing Finnish or European Healthcare System?

Not asking for deep technical details, just the broad strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Jesus Christ its like reading a hand wringing New York Times op ed written by someone whose entire career has been working the consulting grift for the DNC.

How are you so incapable of having any form of analysis which isn't treating politics like a character drama?
    Yeah the way I inform my politics is asking myself what Trump and the oligarchs think

Nervously constraining ourselves to a tiny box because of what someone might say has really worked well so far

Also by Finnish political standards your commie-Bernie would be fit to lead our right-leaning conservative party no problem...
    What's something Finland has that Bernie wouldn't support? Gun rights come to mind but hopefully you have other interesting examples.

Edit: oops, didn't see Alistair's post, my question is similar but more open-ended.
    Last edited by August; February 13 2020 at 02:46:55 PM.

Pretty sure he's already been accused of being a self hating Jew
    That goes for 75% of us Jews
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

i wanted to post that
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

I think it's unfair to leave out Warren and her 10-12% from that Graphic.

What is really on display is the ongoing ideological split within the Democratic Party.

~45-50% support moderates. Biden. the Mayor. Klobuchar (for now). Bloomberg soon?

~35-40% support progressives. Bernie and Warren.

Interestingly, that's not far from the 2-person-race split between 1 moderate (Clinton) and 1 progressive (Bernie) last cycle.

The Democrats needs to face this ideological split and figure out how to deal with it positively, because this division (and ultimately each sides voters who might stay at home come election day) will not help them defeat Trump and his party lockstep.

Personally, I'd much rather elect a either type of Democrat than see Donald Trump get re-elected.

A moderate Democrat would just return a much more competent analogue to Trump in 4 years.

A moderate Democrat would just return a much more competent analogue to Trump in 4 years.
    I'd prefer a four year delay, and opportunity for more, at the least, to a landslide second Trump term and the inevitable doubling down on what he's done so far.

If the world could have slowed Hitler by four additional years, who knows what could have been avoided. Maybe nothing. But maybe all of it too.

Or the German CDU.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Or the German CDU.

Tapapapatalk
    Are there many Jews in the CDU?

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    I'd prefer a four year delay, and opportunity for more, at the least, to a landslide second Trump term and the inevitable doubling down on what he's done so far.

If the world could have slowed Hitler by four additional years, who knows what could have been avoided. Maybe nothing. But maybe all of it too.
    At this point should I be hoping that Biden gets the nomination and loses to Trump, solely to get the message across to those who haven’t gotten it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Or the German CDU.

Tapapapatalk
    We're getting a little wild with these comparisons

Bernie does not care about deficits and will oppose any kind of austerity.

At this point should I be hoping that Biden gets the nomination and loses to Trump, solely to get the message across to those who haven’t gotten it yet?
    I also have to wonder what makes people so confident that Trump's project will be washed away by any of the moderate candidates. We've got the history of "look forward, not back" to show us that Democrats are very reluctant to use their power to dismantle a terrible agenda.

At this point should I be hoping that Biden gets the nomination and loses to Trump, solely to get the message across to those who havenít gotten it yet?
    What message is that?

Biden is the default position for a lot of democrats I would imagine. They're probably the easiest voters to peel away as soon as you start to talk actual politics with them.