hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 347 of 423 FirstFirst ... 247297337344345346347348349350357397 ... LastLast
Results 6,921 to 6,940 of 8445

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Wow that AEC report is old. "Cost of sending CD-ROMs"
    The report was triggered by a particular event - the loss of a ballot box containing around 1,000 votes in a close election that forced the invalidation of the result and a revote being held.

The AEC responds to Parliament as it is governed by legislation, but otherwise is an independent statutory body.

The technology has moved on but the issues identified remain current.
    You missed the bit where I referenced the incident in question in my previous post.
    I assumed that many readers wouldn't follow the links so I was giving context so others could understand what we were talking about.
    Fair. TBH I was kinda surprised that they haven't been forced to update the advice by someone asking the question again. It feels like something that keeps coming up.
    Our voting system doesn't suffer from many hiccups. If nothing goes wrong then Parliament sees no reason to ask the AEC to hold inquiries.

We vote on Saturdays, and voting is compulsory. Most polling stations are located at public schools and those schools use the opportunity to hold fund raising fairs and BBQs. As a result most voters are happy to go and vote in person.

So it's the "if it isn't broken don't fix it" approach favoured by politicians.

I don’t even know where to begin with this shitshow. Really.

The DNC doesn't deserve to exist as a political institution.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

"Sanders won"

"Shit, execute the "IT Disaster plan". None of the boomers understand that shit, anyway."
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    "Sanders won"

"Shit, execute the "IT Disaster plan". None of the boomers understand that shit, anyway."
    With the software link to the buttchug (totally not a former CIA asset) campaign it is more fun to think of this as the CIA trying to tamper with an election but the app crashing and exposing their attempt to everyone live on TV.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

"Sanders won"

With the software link to the buttchug (totally not a former CIA asset) campaign it is more fun to think of this as the CIA trying to tamper with an election but the app crashing and exposing their attempt to everyone live on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    "Sanders won"

Like that time we didn't convert to metric, the "custom math library" accidentally the population of Iowa to west coast city levels.
    meh

"Sanders won"

I put it down to basic DNC circlejerking.

Countdown till Russia is to blame.

The DNC only spent $60k on a critical infrastructure piece, so it could be a Guatemalan teenager for all we know.
    meh

The DNC only spent $60k on a critical infrastructure piece, so it could be a Guatemalan teenager for all we know.
    I forgot that sarcasm is hard to convey via text.

What's the american obsession with digital voting?
    Caucuses aren't votes in the traditional sense, and the results are in fact recorded on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    But there is literally no reason it can't be used for online voting except for technophobe boomers.
    Being in favour of digital voting marks you out as a tremendous fucking moron with no idea what they're talking about. Voting must only ever happen via paper. It's hard to stress just how unequivocally stupid electronic voting is.

Clearly you should donate to the DNC so they have more money.

It works for banks because money isn't real anyway.
    To cut to the core of the matter: it works for banks because banking is not anonymous. Voting is. There is no system that is both anonymous and verifiable that can be trusted that doesn't involve paper.

And of course the true election nerds will already know that even well designed paper systems allow for votes to be connected back to the voter - it's just hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    To cut to the core of the matter: it works for banks because banking is not anonymous. Voting is. There is no system that is both anonymous and verifiable that can be trusted that doesn't involve paper.

And of course the true election nerds will already know that even well designed paper systems allow for votes to be connected back to the voter - it's just hard to do.
    In a “possession is 9/10ths of the law” way, I get a paper receipt for my ballot with a pretty long serial number on it, every time I vote. This allows me to use that number to look up how my vote was recorded, ostensibly, to give me oversight to ensure my vote was counted correctly.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Clearly you should donate to the DNC so they have more money.
    In a sense, I see a massive opportunity that would also allow sticking to the know nothing consultant types who are inevitably behind this fiasco.

After all, I’m sure the DNC were trying to deliver a real solution and not just trying to funnel some of that sweet gravy train “idiot voter-money” into some chinless frat brothers back pocket.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; February 4 2020 at 03:06:18 PM.
    meh

Political consultants are a special breed. They're all mates who do nothing but work in politics. Ad spends aren't high because ads work, ad spends are high because everyone involved in the campaign takes a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post

Then maybe voting shouldn't be anonymous. But that's not the hangup, it's the fact that the federal government dosen't want to invest the kind of money necessary into electronic voting to make it as secure as banking. That would result in more people voting, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Then maybe voting shouldn't be anonymous.
    I don't think it is, I reckon facebook can know how 99% of their users will be voting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    is this the first time the CIA is outright running their own presidential candidate ? because that's some operation condor level bullshit right there.
    Evan McMullin was former CIA when he ran in 2016. That looked like it was more an attempt to sabotage Trump as McMullin didn't get on the ballot in enough states to actually win.
    fair do, i was intentionally ignoring bush and bush jr since there's a difference between running the CIA, and being run BY the CIA.

"Sanders won"

you sure that former belongs in there ?

the whole thing is amusing to behold from outside, minimum viable effort attempts at both coups and election fraud seems to be the order of the day and the failures are truly spectacular to watch.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.