hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 203 of 226 FirstFirst ... 103153193200201202203204205206213 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,060 of 4516

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    What if there where less people?
    We just have to return to feudal peasant subsistence farming progress towards an agrarian anarcho-syndicalist society so the population levels drop off a cliff!
    A war that cleanses a generation or two is probably what will happen, within the next decade, if Iím reading the wormsign correctly. I guess weíll finally see how much strength these little alt-right pustules have in their convictions...
    The only proven way to lower population growth is to lower infant mortality, raise quality of life and, increase education and opportunities for women.

I know you would rather half jokingly fantasise about a big war, because that's easier than trying to work out how to get idiots to vote for the right people to make the above possible, but every time there is a big war, there is a population over compensation. See; every war ever.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    We just have to return to feudal peasant subsistence farming progress towards an agrarian anarcho-syndicalist society so the population levels drop off a cliff!
    A war that cleanses a generation or two is probably what will happen, within the next decade, if I’m reading the wormsign correctly. I guess we’ll finally see how much strength these little alt-right pustules have in their convictions...
    The only proven way to lower population growth is to lower infant mortality, raise quality of life and, increase education and opportunities for women.

I know you would rather half jokingly fantasise about a big war, because that's easier than trying to work out how to get idiots to vote for the right people to make the above possible, but every time there is a big war, there is a population over compensation. See; every war ever.

Obligatory ACKSHUALLY, the Mongol invasion of Persia killed 75% of its population and it didn't recover til the 1900s, and the sack of Baghdad is arguably one reason why the middle east is a shithole to this day.

But for a more relevant anecdote yeah just look at the baby boomer generation. Even so, the last big wars were fought before nukes and ICBMs were really a thing.
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; August 24 2019 at 11:51:24 PM.

A war that cleanses a generation or two is probably what will happen, within the next decade, if I’m reading the wormsign correctly. I guess we’ll finally see how much strength these little alt-right pustules have in their convictions...

I’m not fantasizing about it though. I’m not really sure I see anyone avoiding it, is the point. Sure, miraculous things may happen and 4 or 5 systems of government around the world basically do weird stuff and make drastic changes, and there’s a sunshine and rainbows outcome, but I’m honestly not really seeing it.

Right now it feels like 1931 or so.
    meh

It's 1932. We are in the Weimar Republic. Trump isn't Hitler despite all the kvetching, but maybe he's Hindenburg and I'm curious who he's gonna appoint as Chancellor.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    It's 1932. We are in the Weimar Republic. Trump isn't Hitler despite all the kvetching, but maybe he's Hindenburg and I'm curious who he's gonna appoint as Chancellor.
    He's definitely a hindenburg. Bloated balloon full of noxious gas.

Wish he'd burn like it too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/24/w...g7-summit.html

BIARRITZ, France — President Trump asserted on Saturday that he has the authority to make good on his threat to force all American businesses to leave China, citing a national security law that has been used mainly to target terrorists, drug traffickers and pariah states like Iran, Syria and North Korea.

As he arrived in France for the annual meeting of the Group of 7 powers, Mr. Trump posted a message on Twitter citing the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977, a law originally meant to enable a president to isolate criminal regimes, not sever economic ties with a major trading partner over a tariff dispute.

“For all of the Fake News Reporters that don’t have a clue as to what the law is relative to Presidential powers, China, etc., try looking at the Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977,” Mr. Trump wrote. “Case closed!”
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; August 25 2019 at 09:44:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    I feel like Africa of all places is pretty well placed to benefit from solar power.
    Itís also relatively easy to ship and install in a decentralized fashion. Sure you could ship each village a wind turbine, but thatís a p big project in an infrastructure < 3 country.
    Exactly. This is why I get super annoyed at bad arguments like "non-fossil power type X is bad because it can't be used as a strictly superior alternative in EVERY SINGLE USE CASE"

No shit it can't. Good fucking job then that we don't have to pick just one type and force it into all use cases.

In fact if there's any will to learn from mistakes, then one of the things we should learn from over-dependency on fossil fuels is to avoid doing exactly that. Solar is pointless in Iceland, but they have huge geothermal and hydro potential. Great! That doesn't make solar power worthless, it makes it locally inappropriate. Algeria has fuck all geo or hydro potential, but it can easily produce all the solar it needs. Wind and Solar are bad for producing controllable baseline power, good job we can build a few nuke plants to make sure that those edge cases when there's no wind or sun supplying the grid we can keep things going. And so on.

This pointless quibblling fanboyism about which is the "best" is just a waste of energy. The correct solution is to deploy the full spectrum of renewables and to choose which to use depending on the specific use case. Lubica mentioned Africans who are going to want refrigeration and air conditioning, and he's right, they will. Hydrogen is a pretty shitty way to supply those services to individuals in economies with poor or non-existent infrastructure and limited capital for investment, though. Solar roofs are going to be hugely better for that use case. Hydrogen might be valuable for other use cases though, like ATVs requiring high energy density to traverse difficult terrain in order to set up power grids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

You forgot to mention allowing women legal and socially guaranteed ownership over their own bodies. That's kind of a big deal here as well.
    I love Malcanis!

BIARRITZ, France — President Trump asserted on Saturday that he has the authority to make good on his threat to force all American businesses to leave China, citing a national security law that has been used mainly to target terrorists, drug traffickers and pariah states like Iran, Syria and North Korea.

As he arrived in France for the annual meeting of the Group of 7 powers, Mr. Trump posted a message on Twitter citing the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977, a law originally meant to enable a president to isolate criminal regimes, not sever economic ties with a major trading partner over a tariff dispute.

“For all of the Fake News Reporters that don’t have a clue as to what the law is relative to Presidential powers, China, etc., try looking at the Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977,” Mr. Trump wrote. “Case closed!”
    WhAtS WrOnG wItH sMaALl GuBvErMuNt!one1

Two/one child policy?

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post

Two/one child policy?
    Pretty sure that during the period of the one child policy, China saw decreasing infant mortality, rising living standards, and more educational and work opportunities for women.

Although effective, that includes socially disruptive effects, and has screwed up Chinese gender ratios and general happiness.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Well it probably wouldn’t have affected gender ratios if it wasn’t for that whole “daughters are a waste of time and effort” trope.

But, not the first time China has had a surplus of men who can’t find wives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

WhAtS WrOnG wItH sMaALl GuBvErMuNt!one1
    I hope the stupid fat orange retard pulls the trigger on this. That's probably the quickest way for him to have an accident getting out of the shower I've ever heard.

Anyone that say "smaller government" is basically telling you they want to destroy the country you live in, and your way of life.
    meh

I mean Deng was a revisionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

Two/one child policy?
    Pretty sure that during the period of the one child policy, China saw decreasing infant mortality, rising living standards, and more educational and work opportunities for women.
    Among male children, anyway. It's pretty much accepted that there was mass-scale female infanticide, which has resulted in a massive gender imbalance, a huge and awful forced sex industry and everyone's favourite indicator of social stability, millions of young men who will never be able to find a female partner.
    I love Malcanis!

Two/one child policy?
    Among male children, anyway. It's pretty much accepted that there was mass-scale female infanticide, which has resulted in a massive gender imbalance, a huge and awful forced sex industry and everyone's favourite indicator of social stability, millions of young men who will never be able to find a female partner.
    Just wait until you see the advances, and the number of girls born in China, when we can pick the childs sex off a radio button on your smart phone, like the shipping option for a package.
    meh

That's what the nationalism is for

The video of hundreds of random goons (all men) beating on the HK protesters is basically how China plans to divert all that tension and anger away from the government

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    That's what the nationalism is for

The video of hundreds of random goons (all men) beating on the HK protesters is basically how China plans to divert all that tension and anger away from the government
    On the other hand, their birthrate will quickly start dropping after a generation of two, until they force and maintain the creation of girl children for breeding.
    meh

Two/one child policy?
    Hence my other post.

But the overall rate fell: