hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 128 of 323 FirstFirst ... 2878118125126127128129130131138178228 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 6460

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

  1. #2541
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    2,933
    Yeah many of these proposals are just a return to New Deal values and principles

    Its also less crazy than mumbling "market forces" and shrugging when something bad happens

  2. #2542

    Join Date
    March 10, 2019
    Posts
    146
    Didn't Kennedy pimp around his secretary Mimi Alford? And the Democrats of that era wouldn't win primaries since they had different LGBT and gender views.

  3. #2543

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,455
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post

    If this is the same mountain top, last time I was up there (many moons ago), the mountain had actually two peaks. On one were a bunch of the best terrestrial optical telescopes in the world (the tour was great, but they're not open to the public because they're in everyday (night?) use (obviously)), the other peak (which I visited as well and which was slightly higher), had a teeny weeny place of worship on it.

    At the time I was told that the deal they had struck with the Hawaiians was that they would get the higher peak, and the scientists would get the lower one. The lower peak was getting pretty crowded though. Even though I'm a scientist, I still think they should stick with the bargain (which was, indeed, quite controversial on the big island already). Just spend more money on developing the lower peak really.

    Frankly, this doesn't sound like a clash between science and local superstition/religion. More like a money issue. But those telescopes are bloody expensive as it is. A bit more for building up foundations will like a drop in the ocean.
    Wow nice. I have no plans to visit Hawaii again, but if I'm reading you right you need a contact/connection to get a tour and see the telescopes?
    You did at the time, yes. I happened to know/work with a guy who had to be up there regularly, and he invited me along when I was on the big island after a conference in Honolulu. Two telescopes for the price of one in fact.

  4. #2544
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    16,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    If Overton window shifts any further to the right we will see people denouncing Saint Reagan as a stalinist.
    Reagan wouldn't even be able to get elected in a Republican primary anymore.
    Kennedy wouldn't even be able to get nominated in a Democratic primary anymore.
    Yeah sexual predators aren't as acceptable as they were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  5. #2545
    Donor Shiodome's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    I am a white male.
    Posts
    5,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    If Overton window shifts any further to the right we will see people denouncing Saint Reagan as a stalinist.
    Reagan wouldn't even be able to get elected in a Republican primary anymore.
    Kennedy wouldn't even be able to get nominated in a Democratic primary anymore.
    Yeah sexual predators aren't as acceptable as they were.
    kennedy shouldn't have been grabbing people by the pussy then tbh.

  6. #2546
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,010
    :The 1960s:

  7. #2547
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    10,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    :The 1960s:
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  8. #2548
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,010
    Doesn’t justify it; does explain it. :dunno:

  9. #2549

    Join Date
    March 10, 2019
    Posts
    146
    Poll of 1200 mexicans about immigration
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d4fd6f4fd8ba

    More than 6 in 10 Mexicans say migrants are a burden on their country because they take jobs and benefits that should belong to Mexicans. A 55 percent majority supports deporting migrants who travel through Mexico to reach the United States.
    The Post-Reforma survey finds 7 percent of Mexicans say their country should offer residency to Central American immigrants traveling through Mexico and trying to enter the United States. Another 33 percent support allowing them to stay temporarily while the United States decides whether to admit them. But a 55 percent majority says they should be deported to their home countries.
    Last week, for example, the governors of three northern Mexican states, Coahuila, Nuevo León and Tamaulipas, signed a statement saying that they could not accept any more migrants. They blamed López Obrador’s administration for allowing so many asylum seekers to wait along Mexico’s northern border without offering more resources to the region.
    Only 7% support giving migrants residency heh. I don't think any Western country has numbers like that.

  10. #2550

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,455
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Poll of 1200 mexicans about immigration
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d4fd6f4fd8ba

    More than 6 in 10 Mexicans say migrants are a burden on their country because they take jobs and benefits that should belong to Mexicans. A 55 percent majority supports deporting migrants who travel through Mexico to reach the United States.
    The Post-Reforma survey finds 7 percent of Mexicans say their country should offer residency to Central American immigrants traveling through Mexico and trying to enter the United States. Another 33 percent support allowing them to stay temporarily while the United States decides whether to admit them. But a 55 percent majority says they should be deported to their home countries.
    Last week, for example, the governors of three northern Mexican states, Coahuila, Nuevo León and Tamaulipas, signed a statement saying that they could not accept any more migrants. They blamed López Obrador’s administration for allowing so many asylum seekers to wait along Mexico’s northern border without offering more resources to the region.
    Only 7% support giving migrants residency heh. I don't think any Western country has numbers like that.
    Actually, I don't think it is that far off from many Western countries, including in Europe.

  11. #2551

  12. #2552
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,499
    Wasn't she the one who promised to "impeach the motherfucker"? Oh right, she was.

  13. #2553

    Join Date
    March 10, 2019
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Poll of 1200 mexicans about immigration
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d4fd6f4fd8ba

    More than 6 in 10 Mexicans say migrants are a burden on their country because they take jobs and benefits that should belong to Mexicans. A 55 percent majority supports deporting migrants who travel through Mexico to reach the United States.
    The Post-Reforma survey finds 7 percent of Mexicans say their country should offer residency to Central American immigrants traveling through Mexico and trying to enter the United States. Another 33 percent support allowing them to stay temporarily while the United States decides whether to admit them. But a 55 percent majority says they should be deported to their home countries.
    Last week, for example, the governors of three northern Mexican states, Coahuila, Nuevo León and Tamaulipas, signed a statement saying that they could not accept any more migrants. They blamed López Obrador’s administration for allowing so many asylum seekers to wait along Mexico’s northern border without offering more resources to the region.
    Only 7% support giving migrants residency heh. I don't think any Western country has numbers like that.
    Actually, I don't think it is that far off from many Western countries, including in Europe.
    Perhaps. I tried to check recent data for Europe, Google keeps pulling up polls with questions that probably would not be good comparisons. In order to be fair, the closest analogous question I could think of is a question specifically about giving residency status to refugees in the camps. Polls about general abstract immigration or asylum seekers, which is what I keep finding, would most likely yield a higher % of support than a specific focused question and not be an accurate comparison. I should be working now so I will stop googling for the day .

  14. #2554

  15. #2555
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Sorry, this content is not available in your region.


  16. #2556
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Sorry, this content is not available in your region.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/louisi...should-be-shot

    A police officer in Louisiana has been fired after he published a Facebook post insinuating Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) should be shot. Charles Rispoli, who had been with the Gretna City Police Department since 2005, made a post saying: “This vile idiot needs a round... and I don’t mean the kind she used to serve.” Another officer with the department who liked the post was also fired, local station WDSU reports. The department said Rispoli recently finished training dealing with racial bias that was meant to curb officers from making comments like these on social media.

  17. #2557
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Sorry, this content is not available in your region.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/louisi...should-be-shot

    A police officer in Louisiana has been fired after he published a Facebook post insinuating Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) should be shot. Charles Rispoli, who had been with the Gretna City Police Department since 2005, made a post saying: “This vile idiot needs a round... and I don’t mean the kind she used to serve.” Another officer with the department who liked the post was also fired, local station WDSU reports. The department said Rispoli recently finished training dealing with racial bias that was meant to curb officers from making comments like these on social media.
    How dumb do you have to be to say that online in a way that can be traced back to you?

    At least all our FHC "kill um' all" posters are doing it under usernames ffs.

    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

  18. #2558
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    31,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Sorry, this content is not available in your region.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/louisi...should-be-shot

    A police officer in Louisiana has been fired after he published a Facebook post insinuating Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) should be shot. Charles Rispoli, who had been with the Gretna City Police Department since 2005, made a post saying: “This vile idiot needs a round... and I don’t mean the kind she used to serve.” Another officer with the department who liked the post was also fired, local station WDSU reports. The department said Rispoli recently finished training dealing with racial bias that was meant to curb officers from making comments like these on social media.
    i don't know how much racial bias contributes here considering AOC is a literal commie

  19. #2559
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,010
    She’s a moderate social democrat.

    And it’s America; race is always a factor. :dunno:

  20. #2560
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Sorry, this content is not available in your region.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/louisi...should-be-shot

    A police officer in Louisiana has been fired after he published a Facebook post insinuating Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) should be shot. Charles Rispoli, who had been with the Gretna City Police Department since 2005, made a post saying: “This vile idiot needs a round... and I don’t mean the kind she used to serve.” Another officer with the department who liked the post was also fired, local station WDSU reports. The department said Rispoli recently finished training dealing with racial bias that was meant to curb officers from making comments like these on social media.
    How dumb do you have to be to say that online in a way that can be traced back to you?

    At least all our FHC "kill um' all" posters are doing it under usernames ffs.
    He was a cop. That explanation is sufficient.

    https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-...story?id=95836

    A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

    The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •