hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 980 of 990 FirstFirst ... 480880930970977978979980981982983 ... LastLast
Results 19,581 to 19,600 of 19797

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Regressing
    Towards a theocracy while Democrats control the White House and Congress.

Having read the original Politico article, the ruling is not entirely unexpected. Alito notes that abortion supporters are citing a right that isn't listed in the constitution and isn't part of our heritage and that such a right needs to be granted by legislatures, not courts (a valid point that even abortion supporters will admit).

What is alarming is the legal reasoning used. He has essentially said that the 10th amendment doesn't exist. And that any precedent can be swept away if the ruling can be considered "egregiously wrong".
    Last edited by Nordstern; May 3 2022 at 04:16:41 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Roberts confirmed the draft opinion is genuine.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    The only thing surprising is the timing, the decision was supposed to be made after the election this fall. This just might keep Democrats in control of the senate.
    Hence the leak. Democrats need something to wake their voters the fuck up and this is right up there in terms of incentivising the base while simultaneously being massively supported by the general public.

And the blame game is in full swing on social media. Republicans think the leaker is a woke coward and deserves "a traitor's fate". Establishment Democrats blame leftists for not showing up in 2010 and 2016. Leftists say Hillary's running mate was pro-life, Obama had plenty of time to codify Roe v. Wade into federal law, and RBG should have retired in 2014 when she was pressured to since the Dems had control of the Senate then.

Hot takes edition:

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post
    The only thing surprising is the timing, the decision was supposed to be made after the election this fall. This just might keep Democrats in control of the senate.
    Hence the leak. Democrats need something to wake their voters the fuck up and this is right up there in terms of incentivising the base while simultaneously being massively supported by the general public.
    What's the point of voting in filibuster-proof majorities if they don't use their power to enact meaningful legislation?

To the best of my understanding, this issue was on the docket for this session, slated to be released sometime in June with the majority of other rulings, but at the latest on 3rd of October (end of the session).

It would have come out before the midterms either way. If anything, this lets them get ahead of the uproar before it's official.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    To the best of my understanding, this issue was on the docket for this session, slated to be released sometime in June with the majority of other rulings, but at the latest on 3rd of October (end of the session).

It would have come out before the midterms either way. If anything, this lets them get ahead of the uproar before it's official.
    Yeah p sure it was going to come out before the midterms.

Figure Alito or another Conservative judge leaked it - Shows the base what a determined minority rule party can accomplish, and it will spawn countless tick-tok/twitter/etc meltdowns.

Something something Owning the Libs.

My money's on Breyer. Dude's retiring, so punishing him would just be petty.

Time to pack the courts, I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    at least we're not Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

I've got my elections mixed up it seems. The Swedish election is coming up in september. I guess I'm a bit more stressed out than I realized. Thanks for setting me straight.

This won't end well
    As many as 26 states are expected to enact partial or total abortion bans if Roe falls. Some Republican-run states are expected to attempt to make traveling for an abortion illegal. Democratic-run states have indicated moves to protect and help women who seek an abortion.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-reform-scotus

Handmaidens welcome only in Republican-run States or what? If this will be the ruling, future historians will see this as the start of a secession or 2nd civil war.
    Does a population have informed consent when that population is not taught the inner workings of its monetary system, and then is drawn, all unknowing, into economic adventures?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Regressing
    Towards a theocracy while Democrats control the White House and Congress.

Having read the original Politico article, the ruling is not entirely unexpected. Alito notes that abortion supporters are citing a right that isn't listed in the constitution and isn't part of our heritage and that such a right needs to be granted by legislatures, not courts (a valid point that even abortion supporters will admit).

What is alarming is the legal reasoning used. He has essentially said that the 10th amendment doesn't exist. And that any precedent can be swept away if the ruling can be considered "egregiously wrong".

10th amendment would imply Roe v Wade is invalid? Alito’s argument has a basis on the 10th amendment. Maybe you mean the 14th amendment, which is what Roe v Wade and what a lot of other progressive rulings like same-sex marriage is based on.

I would love it if secession happens. I guess I’ll have to move back to California though and get a different job because fuck the east coast.

Biden must be hating to be the one that has to go against this
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post
    This won't end well
    As many as 26 states are expected to enact partial or total abortion bans if Roe falls. Some Republican-run states are expected to attempt to make traveling for an abortion illegal. Democratic-run states have indicated moves to protect and help women who seek an abortion.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-reform-scotus

Handmaidens welcome only in Republican-run States or what? If this will be the ruling, future historians will see this as the start of a secession or 2nd civil war.
    Abortion access was largely unregulated, and only restricted on a state by state basis (even if prosecutions were uncommon), before Roe was decided in 1973. People throw out ideas like secession a lot but that's about as likely as you suddenly learning to fly. This ruling does have the potential to upset some of the midterm races, but we're unlikely to gain enough Democratic senators to eliminate the filibuster and pass actual legislation that protects the right to abortion. The most likely scenario is, sadly, that it remains a state's issue for as long as it takes for the Dems to muster up enough politicking to get the power they need to fix it. It'll be ugly until the majority of the country that supports abortion access gets mad and learns that they also have to care about voting rights and redistricting, which may take time but I think will happen.

Until then yes, places like Alabama are likely to become incredibly hostile to women who don't want to be pregnant. People have been organizing bus routes and other underground services to help women travel to non-barbarian states for years, basically since Trump picked his 3 ass-barnacle clown judges. One slight upside to all this is that the mask finally might really be off and we can all stop pretending that SCOTUS is some kind of non-ideological bastion of fairness and reason, anyone who's been paying attention at all already knows this, but now the common folk are starting to learn that too.
    Last edited by Ruri; May 4 2022 at 02:54:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

The fucked part is that the people who push this shit will still get abortions for their mistresses and knocked up 14 year old daughters, and their son's rape victims. Because theirs is different right?

Part of me hopes that the northern states ban out of state persons from getting abortions, but that would also affect the people who need them the most.

Some Republican-run states are expected to attempt to make traveling for an abortion illegal.
    That should run afoul of the Commerce Clause. These people are traveling to participate in a commercial transaction. They are getting a service for money, this is the US after all and healthcare is big business. Only the federal government can regulate interstate commerce.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Some Republican-run states are expected to attempt to make traveling for an abortion illegal.
    That should run afoul of the Commerce Clause. These people are traveling to participate in a commercial transaction. They are getting a service for money, this is the US after all and healthcare is big business. Only the federal government can regulate interstate commerce.
    States dont give a fuck since the feds won't do shit about it

Leaking a Presidential candidate's private emails before an election: very good

Leaking a SCOTUS piece of paper that was going to become public anyway: very bad

Oh, dear. It seems there's a gay sex tape involving Madison Cawthorn.

edit: And he's confirmed it's real.
    Last edited by Nordstern; May 5 2022 at 01:32:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Oh, dear. It seems there's a gay sex tape involving Madison Cawthorn.

edit: And he's confirmed it's real.
    So what? He'll just say that he's prayed the gay away like the good evenagelical he is and then turn around and blame democrats for cynically leaking the tape. /j

Guess he rubbed some old timers the wrong way with that sex party leak. The guy's toast.