hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 223 of 634 FirstFirst ... 123173213220221222223224225226233273323 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,460 of 12666

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Well, Bill de Blasio is out ...

I've strained myself to remember him doing anything noticeable but frankly have come up short.

In fact, I found myself surprised that he was still running ...
    St this point anyone who’s not Sanders or Warren should probably drop out, C/D?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar

I've strained myself to remember him doing anything noticeable but frankly have come up short.

Amy still has a chance!
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Amy still has a chance!

https://theweek.com/speedreads/86638...i-wont-impeach

Even though a majority of Democrats in the House back impeachment, House Judiciary Chair Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) says he's waiting for the public to back it the idea before proceeding. To help that happen, he's holding a series of impeachment hearings — the first of which, with former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, left Trump "laughing and joking" that "Democrats have no idea what they're doing," one person who spoke with him tells the Post.

Trump's officials are apparently just as unbothered. Pelosi shows no movement toward impeachment, and "looking at the legislative calendar," Democrats don't seem to have much time before the year is up and they're back home "trying to run for their seats," one official tells the Post. Together, those facts have led White House officials to decide "there won't be a public price to pay for stonewalling Congress," the Post writes.

You mean clapping and side-eye are not sufficient to deter fascists from destroying norms in their effort to seize power?

r/enligtenedcentrism didn’t prepare me for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

Nah, I want to see Biden's eyes explode on live tv
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Just remember when Barth and other centrists are dumping """leftists""" into mass graves that they were driven to do it by your DIVISIVE RHETORIC

I mean if Alistair can have feverdream posts of the totalitarian state that """leftists""" want, I get to pretend that centrists are going to go along with genocide right?

"Giving a shit and doing something about it" has always been presented as the sucker's option in our culture. So we get old, reactionary dumbasses who think the savvy option is to do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I am wondering if Sharpiegate was Cheeto Dust's attempt to declare Alabama a federal disaster zone, so he could redistribute wealth reallocate funds from Puerto Rico to Alabama. The excuse would be "We've spent so much on Puerto Rico, they've totally wasted it, they didn't get hit by this particular hurricane, they're not even a state, they didn't vote for me, etc."

A poor attempt at red state welfare, really.
    A pathetically plausible hypothesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    any weebs get tasered at area 51 yet?

Sorry, been offline a bit. So lets see.....

Tell me who exactly here is a “commie,” again?
    Whomever I feel like triggering on a given day, Comrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Is Alastair playing devils advocate trolling, or is he really trying to make the case for 2019 Trump/Republican moral equivalence with the 2019 Dems?
    Nope. There is no equivalence between the Trump Administration and any other administration in U.S. History, period, end stop. Most administrations lie. This one is a whole other level.

This started as a question in re: Lewindowski: Do private individuals owe honesty to the corporate for-profit news media. As usual here, it got deflected from there to the vital issues of Alabamamapgate and Trump and a whole row of straw men about truth in media.....

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    “Expecting us not to lie infringes on our freedom”

- The GOP, as channeled by Alistair, probably...
    Speaking of said straw men.......

Let me be clear and direct:

I expect my Government to be honest when reporting facts and figures and policy and budgets and legislative activities and it's operating activities (i.e. what some call "transparent"), with a minor exception on issues of War perhaps.

I do NOT expect elected Politicians to be honest, because Politicians are inherently not honest and never, ever, in the history of mankind, been honest. If someone want to argue that they are in fact honest, or that we should pass laws to "make them be honest" where the State punishes them for not being honest to what the State says is true, ok, go for it. Knock yourself out.

I do NOT believe any private individual has a moral necessity to be honest to CNN or FOX or other for-profit corporate media entities. To Congress when testifying? Absolutely. To CNN? No, fuck CNN (or FOX).

How that got turned into me being against truth in media, I have no idea, but it's par for the course here where folsk make every effort to not address what is said, but to deflect to vital issues like Alabamaweathermap.

You want truth in Media, great, so do I. You're going to have alot of work ahead of you legislatively to get it, and you probably won't be happy even if you got it. And I hope you have alot of money, because our media has some serious corporate parents and they can easily outspend you.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Just remember when Barth and other centrists are dumping """leftists""" into mass graves that they were driven to do it by your DIVISIVE RHETORIC

I mean if Alistair can have feverdream posts of the totalitarian state that """leftists""" want, I get to pretend that centrists are going to go along with genocide right?
    I prefer my country not have a Federal Department of Truth and associated Truth Police to enforce the Truth Laws a la Erich's vision.

With that said, I'm not naive enough to expect honesty from our corporate media either, and would suggest people partake of multiple-media to get a balanced viewpoint.

That's all. No fever dreams here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    I prefer my country not have a Federal Department of Truth and associated Truth Police to enforce the Truth Laws a la Erich's vision.
    But there already is one - for example, see Elon Musk's tweet and the SEC's response. How is that any different from 'truth police'?

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    But there already is one - for example, see Elon Musk's tweet and the SEC's response. How is that any different from 'truth police'?
    Is Elon Musk a politician? Or a member of the media?

Regulatory requirements (especially in publicly traded companies) is not a Truth Police. It's enforcing laws against securities fraud ffs. It's not criminalizing political speech or media reporting or having the State decide what is or isn't truth.

I simply must not be making my point very well on this, cause no one is getting it, so my fault, mea culpa I 'spose.

SEC laws apply to politicians too.

Well, in theory anyway.

Point is there are plenty of laws that require individuals, in both private and public capacities, to be truthful or face penalty. That’s not authoritarianism, it’s just civil society.

SEC laws apply to politicians too.

Well, in theory anyway.

Point is there are plenty of laws that require individuals, in both private and public capacities, to be truthful or face penalty. That’s not authoritarianism, it’s just civil society.
    Please list the last Politician or Media Personality who was successfully convicted for speaking/reporting a falsehood.

There is a material difference in the enforceable nature of an SEC regulatory action and a Federal Truth Police going after a politician or media member for non-truth, especially in a county that has a written Constitution explicitly protecting political speech and a free press.

If you are arguing we should, in fact, have a Federal Dept. of Truth that engages in enforcement actions against the media or politicians, great. I'd love to hear how that would work, legally, in the U.S.

And second, how you'll get the politicians to pass it.

I do NOT expect elected Politicians to be honest, because Politicians are inherently not honest and never, ever, in the history of mankind, been honest. If someone want to argue that they are in fact honest, or that we should pass laws to "make them be honest" where the State punishes them for not being honest to what the State says is true, ok, go for it. Knock yourself out.
    I never understood this nihilism.

"all politicians lie, case closed" - okay why don't we do something about it then? Or do you enjoy living in a downgraded democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

I never understood this nihilism.

"all politicians lie, case closed" - okay why don't we do something about it then? Or do you enjoy living in a downgraded democracy?
    I thought that was what voting was for?

Also, pragmatism =/= nihilism

What would you like to do about it mew? How would you address the issue, given the Constitutional constraints involved.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

Centrists are already complicit in concentration camps. Lines have been drawn. Losers get the wall.
    meh