hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 991 of 994 FirstFirst ... 491891941981988989990991992993994 LastLast
Results 19,801 to 19,820 of 19866

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    What do you expect to happen? Police to gun them with fifty cals? It has been established numerous times that US police has no training how to deal with that kind of situations. Pepper spray and all of the non lethal force applicators they have on them might be a good start, but it requires training and sensibility with what kind of force is appropriate. In that particular situation I can see no wrong being done, proper restraint working.

Hypothetically how would it go if perps were black? That's the crux of a problem
    Look we dont really want the police to treat the proud boys like they treat black people (well not the sane ones of us), but its still pretty stark that none of them made ANY MOVE WHATSOEVER to prevent this attack and they properly backed off making no attempt to cuff the guys who just went in swinging.
    No I'd be perfectly happy with them gunning down white supremacists actually.
    Edgy as fuck mate. Racism should clearly carry an arbitrary death penalty without trial.
    I'm not seeing the problem?

What do you expect to happen? Police to gun them with fifty cals? It has been established numerous times that US police has no training how to deal with that kind of situations. Pepper spray and all of the non lethal force applicators they have on them might be a good start, but it requires training and sensibility with what kind of force is appropriate. In that particular situation I can see no wrong being done, proper restraint working.

Hypothetically how would it go if perps were black? That's the crux of a problem
    Look we dont really want the police to treat the proud boys like they treat black people (well not the sane ones of us), but its still pretty stark that none of them made ANY MOVE WHATSOEVER to prevent this attack and they properly backed off making no attempt to cuff the guys who just went in swinging.
    Edgy as fuck mate. Racism should clearly carry an arbitrary death penalty without trial.
    I'm not seeing the problem?
    Then you're not looking very hard. Or thinking.

I, for one, don't trust U.S. Cops to "shoot down racists", nor to even property identify them, nor to even understand racism in enough of a meaningful way to make such a judgement call.

And that's aside from the abhorrent idea of giving the State the power of slaughtering people for thought-crimes. Without due-process.

Especially thought-crimes they (the racists) may have been indoctrinated into as small children through no fault of their own.

So yup, I'm gonna go with the usual "being an edgelord for effect" on this one. You can't really be this dumb in real life.

Let's see if the Chicago shooter turns out to be again one almost innocent victim of the failings of the social system that just happened to drive him to do bad things and no mentions about the white supremacy. (He isn't caught yet, police are looking for approx 20 year old white male)

Incel, racist, mentally ill or muslim. Place your bets

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    First 3

Banned Movember 2011Movember 2012
    First 3
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    First 3
    EZ

Sotomayor says Gorsuch flubbed prayer case facts (and she’s right): https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...ight-rcna35644

For those who’ve never read a slip opinion from the Supreme Court, it’s worth emphasizing that they almost never include images: Justices write their opinions, concurrences, and dissents — and that’s it. There's nothing but text.

But in her dissent yesterday, Sotomayor took the highly unusual step of including several photographs to prove her point: The images showed the high school coach engaged in public worship with public school student athletes — minors who were seeking their coach’s approval, and who needed to stay on his good side if they intended to play — at public school events.

This is the same coach who, according to the public record, led Christian prayers in public school locker rooms with public school students before games.

And yet, there was Gorsuch, marveling at school officials objecting to a person engaging in “quiet,” “short,” “private,” and “personal” prayer.

In reality, if Kennedy had engaged in a “quiet,” “short,” “private,” and “personal” prayer, there wouldn’t have been a case since no one would’ve cared. Indeed, this is precisely what school officials asked Kennedy to do.

But for the coach, “quiet,” “short,” “private,” and “personal” prayers weren’t good enough. By all appearances, Kennedy went out of his way to pursue the opposite course, indifferent to the law, the school district's policies, or the interests of students and their families who may not have been comfortable with these religious exercises.

The result was a Supreme Court case in which the justices not only disagreed over how best to apply the First Amendment, but they also appeared to be examining entirely different facts. The conservative majority settled on a conclusion that relied heavily on falsehoods.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

went apparently by "Awake the Rapper" but official reports will never be naming any motive or saying it was domestic terrorism.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar

Now who's being edgy?
    I'm literally just paraphrasing him, not agreeing. It's dumb as fuck and he doesnt even really believe it himself.

First 3
    EZ
    Looks like a triple score bonus, impressive

So in what will almost assuredly be an act of Right-wing Chistian-religious terrorism, the "Georgia Guidestones" were bombed yesterday and mostly destroyed. The State of GA demolished what was left today.

Far-righties and American Taliban had long called for it's destruction, using the old "it's evil, it's Satanic" tropes.

And several Republican candidates in that state have reportedly called for it's destruction.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/07/us/ge...ion/index.html

I'm conflicted about that monument. On one hand, it had some decent principles. On the other hand, it was vague and promoted eugenics.

I'm conflicted about that monument. On one hand, it had some decent principles. On the other hand, it was vague and promoted eugenics.
    Same, was ment as a after the apocalyps advice tho iirc.

I have seen a lot of 'interpretations' of the text i dont agree with tho. Even Eugenics is a bit half and half for me. Mind we know nothing of the original builders.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Did it?

Are you referring to the "keep population below 500 mil" bit, or something else?

Seemed like a "Hippy 10 Commandments/Principles for a Better Post-Fallout World" given the 1979/1980 Oh God, Oh God We're All Gonna Die by Nukes timeframe.

Was there something else about killing off certain races or babies or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Did it?

Are you referring to the "keep population below 500 mil" bit, or something else?

Seemed like a "Hippy 10 Commandments/Principles for a Better Post-Fallout World" given the 1979/1980 Oh God, Oh God We're All Gonna Die by Nukes timeframe.

Was there something else about killing off certain races or babies or something?

Again it is a message for people AFTER the apocalypse.
    In any case let Oliver explain starting at 8:00 minutes , enjoy

edit:
    "I have seen a lot of 'interpretations' of the text i dont agree with tho. Even Eugenics is a bit half and half for me. Mind we know nothing of the original builders."
    Ok seems to be some ties to a KKK dude.

Ah well i dont tend to politice every input i get. I like most of the text as its common sense at face value.
    Last edited by Sacul; July 7 2022 at 08:18:22 PM.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Did it?

That, and a few other things.

"Guide reproduction wisely – improving fitness and diversity." This could be interpreted to mean that artificial selection should be used to eliminate flaws in the human genome. Or it could be interpreted to mean that only certain bloodlines should be allowed to procreate. The statement is contradictory in that it is advocating both control and freedom.

"Unite humanity with a living new language." A new language could be used to sever ties with the past. But any new language will have its biases in vocabulary, syntax, pronunciation, etc.

"Balance personal rights with social duties." If a society's leaders considers it the social duty of its constituents to procreate rapidly to outcompete their neighbors, then bye bye abortion and birth control. If it is the social duty of society to respect authority, protests can be curtailed.

These ideas are not new, and not entirely without merit, but the devil is in the details. The Clans of the Battletech universe took some of these ideas to their logical extreme (caste system, eugenics program for warriors, Clanner slang, limited conflicts to conserve resources and eliminate waste, avoid use of nuclear weapons). This worked for them because of the circumstances of their creation. But Clan society is extremely complex and has glaring flaws, which include indoctrination, a false sense of superiority, and a romantic view of their past. Oh, and they were founded by a megalomaniacal and insane Russian who had never held a command position, had a very selective interpretation of human history and was prone to historical revisionism.

You can hope to create Wolverines or Ghost Bears, but easily slip into creating a bunch of Jade Falcons. #McEvedyDidNothingWrong
    Last edited by Nordstern; July 8 2022 at 12:38:35 AM.

First of all: thanks for the discussion. I've never heard of that monument before until I read that news about it being destroyed. Did a quick peek at the wiki entry and yes ... quite a strange backstory.

From the quotes Nordstern has posted ... well, they're quite vague and can be interpreted in any way you want them to sound. Positive or negative. And IMHO that's intentional ... and the hallmark of any - in broader terms - "cult". "Believers"/followers get to cherry-pick the interpretation they like the most. Up to the point where it doesn't resemble the original author's meaning the slightest bit anymore.

I have no opinion on what they're meant to say, but find the story of how it came into existence quite interesting.

Did it?

That, and a few other things.

"Guide reproduction wisely – improving fitness and diversity." This could be interpreted to mean that artificial selection should be used to eliminate flaws in the human genome. Or it could be interpreted to mean that only certain bloodlines should be allowed to procreate. The statement is contradictory in that it is advocating both control and freedom.

"Unite humanity with a living new language." A new language could be used to sever ties with the past. But any new language will have its biases in vocabulary, syntax, pronunciation, etc.

"Balance personal rights with social duties." If a society's leaders considers it the social duty of its constituents to procreate rapidly to outcompete their neighbors, then bye bye abortion and birth control. If it is the social duty of society to respect authority, protests can be curtailed.

These ideas are not new, and not entirely without merit, but the devil is in the details. The Clans of the Battletech universe took some of these ideas to their logical extreme (caste system, eugenics program for warriors, Clanner slang, limited conflicts to conserve resources and eliminate waste, avoid use of nuclear weapons). This worked for them because of the circumstances of their creation. But Clan society is extremely complex and has glaring flaws, which include indoctrination, a false sense of superiority, and a romantic view of their past. Oh, and they were founded by a megalomaniacal and insane Russian who had never held a command position, had a very selective interpretation of human history and was prone to historical revisionism.

You can hope to create Wolverines or Ghost Bears, but easily slip into creating a bunch of Jade Falcons. #McEvedyDidNothingWrong
    That does ring some bells. Where have I seen that before...Oh, right:

Yay, fascism!