hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 966 of 967 FirstFirst ... 466866916956963964965966967 LastLast
Results 19,301 to 19,320 of 19333

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    What about roe vs wade?
    You mean the case which was modified by Planned Parenthood v Casey which dropped the trimester rule and stated that abortions are not always permitted and that states could ban abortions on health concerns and fetal viability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planne...thood_v._Casey
    nevar forget

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    How come there's a Democrat in the white house, democrats control both houses and yet Republicans are managing to do things like ban abortion?
    Because Democrats have successfully eliminated everyone who could seriously challenge their "we have faith in The Process" mentality.

None of the senior leadership is under 40. Hell, I doubt any of them are under 50.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    How come there's a Democrat in the white house, democrats control both houses and yet Republicans are managing to do things like ban abortion?
    Because Democrats have successfully eliminated everyone who could seriously challenge their "we have faith in The Process" mentality.

None of the senior leadership is under 40. Hell, I doubt any of them are under 50.
    The moment the "senior leadership" start even hinting they may lose faith in the process there will be leaked recordings of them being pedophiles or drug addicts or Satanists or having ties to terrorism and "more moderate" people will move into positions.

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post

The moment the "senior leadership" start even hinting they may lose faith in the process there will be leaked recordings of them being pedophiles or drug addicts or Satanists or having ties to terrorism and "more moderate" people will move into positions.
    Nah, Pelosi will just clap at them and say "We're capitalists, and that's just the way it is" and *poof* the individual challenging the process will turn into a newt.

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

I took a cursory glance over the existing Supreme Court judges, Stephen Breyer is in his mid-80s. Is there any expectation of him retiring while Biden is in office in order to guarantee a Democrat picks his replacement?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    I took a cursory glance over the existing Supreme Court judges, Stephen Breyer is in his mid-80s. Is there any expectation of him retiring while Biden is in office in order to guarantee a Democrat picks his replacement?
    Dems being Dems? Probably not

No, he's been resisting retirement like Ginsburg was when the Dems last had a Senate majority. Odds are approaching 100% that he'll croak during the next GOP president or their Senate majority when they get it back

At least it strips away one form of moral blackmail they still have on voters - "If you don't vote for us they'll have lifetime control of the Court and xyz (usually Roe) will be gone"

Can't get people too riled up about that if it's plain you don't give a shit either

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    What about roe vs wade?
    You mean the case which was modified by Planned Parenthood v Casey which dropped the trimester rule and stated that abortions are not always permitted and that states could ban abortions on health concerns and fetal viability.

It's almost like the intent behind these laws is to achieve something close as possible to a full ban without sparking a confrontation in court over Roe vs wade

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    What about roe vs wade?

It's almost like the intent behind these laws is to achieve something close as possible to a full ban without sparking a confrontation in court over Roe vs wade
    Why would there be a confrontation when the court issues unsigned decisions to not hear cases?

No, he's been resisting retirement like Ginsburg was when the Dems last had a Senate majority. Odds are approaching 100% that he'll croak during the next GOP president or their Senate majority when they get it back

At least it strips away one form of moral blackmail they still have on voters - "If you don't vote for us they'll have lifetime control of the Court and xyz (usually Roe) will be gone"

Can't get people too riled up about that if it's plain you don't give a shit either
    Yes, because accelerationism helped so much with getting Trump elected in the first place.

Dems are fucked because they have a number of purple senators who will block them all day long without GOP ever having to go any work.

Go ahead, find a progressive candidates that can primary Manchin and Sinema and then acutely carry the states. There is to much "blue states" where Dems are 100% DINOs. Design and structure of USA Senate favor the Republicans.

USA has canonized it's by modern forms ancient and obsolete electoral system. And the more the system is out of touch with time the more it will resist change.

At this point I'm kinda accelerationist about the Supreme Court (dont agree accelerationism played much part in getting Trump elected either - much more so Biden). Let the GOP put another couple of real mentals on it and let the ensuing injustice galvenize an enormous backlash and reform.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    At this point I'm kinda accelerationist about the Supreme Court (dont agree accelerationism played much part in getting Trump elected either - much more so Biden). Let the GOP put another couple of real mentals on it and let the ensuing injustice galvenize an enormous backlash and reform.
    #Hope*

*as long as the issues that will cause don't directly affect you during the decades of struggle to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    #Hope*

*as long as the issues that will cause don't directly affect you during the decades of struggle to follow.
    Yeah but those issues can already come up right now, with 5 mentals on the court already

Imagine thinking the mentals will galvanise a backlash and not just appeal to a majority of voters

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    Imagine thinking the mentals will galvanise a backlash and not just appeal to a majority of voters
    Imagine living in a democracy

neither the UK nor the US are actually democratic systems tbh.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

I guess it might be hard for Republicans to rally voters around securing the Supreme Court and ending RvW, 8f they have already done so?

Well played, Dems.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

What about roe vs wade?

Why would there be a confrontation when the court issues unsigned decisions to not hear cases?
    Well thanks for repeating the point I was making mr. horse master

Letting the Supreme Court sit on the sidelines is one reason why these laws are written the way they are. A full ban would compel them to do something and either come down in favor or against. Neither of these would be beneficial for their position. Both the Court and conservatives playing the long game don't want a confrontation when they can boiling frog this whole issue

I actually agree with this tbh. The only way the Supreme Court gets its insane power trimmed back is if it oversteps and reveals itself as the reactionary, anti-majoritarian institution that it is. Roberts knows to avoid that, but if one of the zealots becomes Chief Justice after him that could all change
    Last edited by mewninn; September 8 2021 at 03:39:33 PM.

Replace them with the blockchain.
    meh