hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 307 of 572 FirstFirst ... 207257297304305306307308309310317357407 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,140 of 11438

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Nominating Biden as the Democratic presidential candidate is tantamount to handing Trump a second term, and he is the front runner atm?
    Its the old razzle dazzle: Trump throws out there that Biden should be investigated, democrats rally behind Biden, undecideds and low-information voters only hear "Bidden corrupt". Voting day: Biden doesnt pass purity tests, most voters stay home. Trump wins.

Remember that quote from the Rumsfeld era how "we create our own reality"? Thats what Trump has been doing all his life.

What i want to know is, how did the vice of the most popular president in recent history become unelectable?
    He's a senile old fool who can't even remember his lines during debates.
    so exactly like trump
    The difference is that Trump can please a mob and make them laugh.
    I suppose an Anti-American fascist cunt and his moronic, Anti-American racist troglodyte SA are laughable...
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    So, when are the Dems going to subpoena the tapes? We know there's tapes. And they sure as hell won't be admitted as evidence in the trial.

edit: Also, can any Senator who is also a lawyer/attorney potentially be disbarred for their conduct during the Senate trial?
    How long ago should Nunes have been prevented from hearing his own case?

Standards dont apply to the Republicans, they are just a convenient cudgel to hit others with.

So, when are the Dems going to subpoena the tapes? We know there's tapes. And they sure as hell won't be admitted as evidence in the trial
    On what basis? If Trump is on them they’re admissible under FRE 801(d)(2). Executive privilege isn’t a real thing. And DC is (pretty obviously, if you think about it) a one-party-consent jurisdiction for purposes of recording conversations.

They might be excluded for political reasons, but not legal ones. And John Roberts will be making the evidentiary calls. :dunno:

edit: Also, can any Senator who is also a lawyer/attorney potentially be disbarred for their conduct during the Senate trial?
    Probably not. Speech and Debate clause only immunizes you from legal liability for your speech on the floor, but in practical terms it’d be hard for a bar committee to justify disbarring someone for their conduct during the trial. But in theory they could be disbarred for sufficiently egregious conduct outside the halls of Congress.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; December 3 2019 at 02:20:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    So, when are the Dems going to subpoena the tapes? We know there's tapes. And they sure as hell won't be admitted as evidence in the trial.

How long ago should Nunes have been prevented from hearing his own case?

Standards dont apply to the Republicans, they are just a convenient cudgel to hit others with.
    Schiff knew Nunes was dirty. It didn’t take confirmation from Parnas for him to connect those dots.

Schiff also wrote the rules for the hearings in such a way that Devin Nunes had to be the point-man on the GOP side at the hearings; he couldn’t delegate that responsibility to someone else on the committee.

My thinking suggests that Schiff set Nunes up.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    https://www.npr.org/2019/12/02/78417...t-mueller-docs

The Justice Department says releasing secret grand jury documents from then-special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia probe to House lawmakers engaged in the impeachment inquiry could discourage future witnesses to presidential abuse from cooperating with grand juries.

"It is not difficult to imagine that a witness in a future investigation of alleged presidential misconduct might be deterred from testifying fully or frankly if she believed that her testimony would be readily disclosed to the House for use in impeachment proceedings," Justice Department lawyers wrote in a brief filed on Monday to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
    Republicans: "Making secret testimony public may discourage whistleblowers reporting on presidential misconduct less likely to come forward. Also, we demand that the whistleblower who launched the impeachment proceedings investigating presidential misconduct come forward to testify."

They are so close. Maybe I should post this to r/selfawarewolves.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redditor
    A reminder that Trump’s ego helped kill the USFL. His medium term plan was to make the USFL play in NFL season then sue to force the NFL to bring in his franchise. (One could ask if his ire at the NFL isn’t patriotism but that they rebuffed him, twice)

The lawsuit didn’t work, was one of the biggest debacles in the courts at the time.

I remember it, they got a dollar which was then trebled to three dollars. A bunch of sports desks announcers joked they’d pay it. It effectively killed the USFL. They died soon after. Trump was just “whatever, I destroyed the livelihoods of hundreds on a high risk bet to stroke my ego, whatever”

I didn’t realize Trump was in the league or had that much to do with the lawsuit until years after. See: 30 For 30 Small Potatoes.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

"If anyone is going to be taking advantage of american companies, its going to be us, not France."

Something the President said for 200$, Trebek.

Kamala Harris drops out of presidential race, bullet dodged. Still a senator though.

It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, the California Democratic machine unifies behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    Kamala Harris drops out of presidential race, bullet dodged. Still a senator though.

It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, the California Democratic machine unifies behind.
    California will be interesting now, with no home-state advantage for any candidate.

How much woodland is left to feel the Bern?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by redditor
    A reminder that Trump’s ego helped kill the USFL. His medium term plan was to make the USFL play in NFL season then sue to force the NFL to bring in his franchise. (One could ask if his ire at the NFL isn’t patriotism but that they rebuffed him, twice)

The lawsuit didn’t work, was one of the biggest debacles in the courts at the time.

I remember it, they got a dollar which was then trebled to three dollars. A bunch of sports desks announcers joked they’d pay it. It effectively killed the USFL. They died soon after. Trump was just “whatever, I destroyed the livelihoods of hundreds on a high risk bet to stroke my ego, whatever”

I didn’t realize Trump was in the league or had that much to do with the lawsuit until years after. See: 30 For 30 Small Potatoes.
    This (USFL + Trump's involvement) is a very interesting story. For anyone interested in football and Trump's "intellect", it's worth diving into this a bit, as it's also highly entertaining. As a primer, start here: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-nfl-lawsuit/

Also:

The book in question: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...all-for-a-buck

(One could ask if his ire at the NFL isn’t patriotism but that they rebuffed him, twice)
    My conclusions exactly.

Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Don't worry: BoJo will bring the NHS in line with the U.S. medicare system. So that's clearly an overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post

California will be interesting now, with no home-state advantage for any candidate.
    Unfortunately, Harris did not actually dodge a bullet nor was there a bullet involved in her decision to drop out.

So she's not actually gone, and she'll be scheming, plotting, and generally biding her time until the next election cycle.

In the meantime she'll continue to work with corporate interests that inflict misery on the people of California.
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; December 4 2019 at 10:14:56 AM.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...rotection.html

“I think today, American people have to focus on something else, which is the sacrifice and the service that is given by our law enforcement officers,” Barr told the crowd. “And they have to start showing, more than they do, the respect and support that law enforcement deserves―and if communities don’t give that support and respect, they might find themselves without the police protection they need.”

This is healthy. Take this in context with the Norte Dame speech.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...rvative-speech

Maybe the Attorney General is a criminal piece of shit with zero moral or intellectual authority, and you can safely treat was he says with derision because he's just deflecting till him and the criminal dickweeds he represents are impeached and hopefully publicly punished for treason.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...rotection.html

“I think today, American people have to focus on something else, which is the sacrifice and the service that is given by our law enforcement officers,” Barr told the crowd. “And they have to start showing, more than they do, the respect and support that law enforcement deserves―and if communities don’t give that support and respect, they might find themselves without the police protection they need.”

This is healthy. Take this in context with the Norte Dame speech.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...rvative-speech
    We did such a great job treating our cops like troops, and treating the troops like gods, that now we've built a perpetual grievance machine because everyone in the population doesn't grovel before them.

If the police just fucked off a fair amount of communities would be safer and free of harassment.

That's not quite what he's saying though. They absolutely would still serve warrants and ritually harass people because those are the orders, and they follow orders well

They might not bother coming if someone actually calls for help though