hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 35 of 74 FirstFirst ... 253233343536373845 ... LastLast

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Everyone freaked out when that Fed nominee said that democracy is not important for capitalism to function. But he's 100% correct if you just look at China. Will authoritarian capitalism get adopted here? Don't know, but it will be so much fun to find out!
    when the chief difference between "team red" and "team blue" is issues like whether or not women are literal property you've already got a captive system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    US government is too dysfunctional to manage an authoritarian economy. Just gonna yield that power to the corporations themselves.
    they already did.

Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    See: The economics of facist Germany. Massive military spending, plundering, encouragement of monopolies & cartels, slave labor, privatization of national industries... Really makes you think.
    you're quite accurately describing the US in particular, and the history of the "west" the last 120 years or so.

oh sure, we outsource the slave labour bit to sweatshops abroad, except in the US where the prison system fills out that role, but the rest, it's basically the United States today.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    In other words, you don't have anyone to sell to, if everyone is a slave.

It's probably going to end up like the Zaibatsu system. You will be born, grown up, work, and die under the wings of a single corporate entity, who will also cater to every need your paycheck lets you enjoy, in one of their arcologies.

Hopefully, we don't end up with orcs, because the rest of that stuff is looking more likely all the time.
    no, the future is megacity one, except Dredd is on the take and it's going to be a fair bit further north.
    It's nice to think that there will be that much functioning infrastructure.
    there are three probable outcomes, two of them, runaway climate change and global nuclear war, are basically civilization ending events that are going to set us back at least a couple of thousand years the last one has us, somehow by some miracle, huddling trough in whatever habitable zones that remain, probably in massive slum infested cities constructed as quickly and cheaply as possible in order to reasonably accommodate the fact that three quarters of the global population needs to migrate out of the now uninhabitable subtropics, well those who survive anyway, but the reality is that the "uninhabitable" belt is going to reach up to the edge of the Alps and there, to be frank, aren't a lot of viable land achreage left after the sea has eaten its share.

that's the shitty-version-of-mega-city-one future, the other two, meh why even discuss it ? we're not going to make it if we hit either of those paths anyway.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    there are three probable outcomes, two of them, runaway climate change and global nuclear war, are basically civilization ending events that are going to set us back at least a couple of thousand years the last one has us, somehow by some miracle, huddling trough in whatever habitable zones that remain, probably in massive slum infested cities constructed as quickly and cheaply as possible in order to reasonably accommodate the fact that three quarters of the global population needs to migrate out of the now uninhabitable subtropics, well those who survive anyway, but the reality is that the "uninhabitable" belt is going to reach up to the edge of the Alps and there, to be frank, aren't a lot of viable land achreage left after the sea has eaten its share.

that's the shitty-version-of-mega-city-one future, the other two, meh why even discuss it ? we're not going to make it if we hit either of those paths anyway.
    There won't be mega-cities, because that will require infrastructure planning and funding. If civilization collapses, we're not going to be able to build cities, transport enough food, or carry away enough waste to handle slums.

The world is going to be an unforgiving place, where doors will be shut to you unless you show you are of value.

Last edited by Nordstern; May 21 2019 at 09:06:43 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    it's very cheerful in here

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    The future is grim, not hopeless.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

guaranteed room, board, and right to provide labor on the moon base for +1mn USD donors!

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    The future is grim, not hopeless.
    In the grim, dark future, there is grim.

And dark.
    meh

fuck you. you can find me somewhere up a mountain wall you fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Balkaners will not go gently into the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Get the Bofors

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Get the Bofors
    Good call, Titus.

But let’s not forget that there were cities with hundreds of thousands of residents in the ancient and classical world. Technological society is not required for urbanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Get the Bofors
    Good call, Titus.

But let’s not forget that there were cities with hundreds of thousands of residents in the ancient and classical world. Technological society is not required for urbanism.
    If you don't think waterworks, construction and medicine count as tekkiology you are of course correct.

Yeah, if we want to get that pedantic, so is writing and cooking food.

Point being that human labor can accomplish a lot more than we seem to realize lolpyramids.

but aliens built those

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

There won't be mega-cities, because that will require infrastructure planning and funding. If civilization collapses, we're not going to be able to build cities, transport enough food, or carry away enough waste to handle slums.

The world is going to be an unforgiving place, where doors will be shut to you unless you show you are of value.

the megacities bit is if things work out okay, and they're not looking that way right now, at all.

but who knows ? weirder things have happened.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    But letís not forget that there were cities with hundreds of thousands of residents in the ancient and classical world. Technological society is not required for urbanism.
    Fair point. I expect gutters full of sewage and burning pits will make a return.

Context: duckduck asked me in the UK Politics thread if I had any specific examples of Democrat politicians, or notable figures in the "left", who used language as hostile as Trump.

My reply:
    You are correct there is not any Democrat politician who uses language as bad as Trump. There are not even any Republican politicians who do either. Outside of Trump, Republican and Democrat politicians try to speak in a very PC way, I mean people like Pelosi, McConnell, Schumer, Romney, Bush, Rubio, Cruz, etc. all have that similar way of speaking, the politician's way of speaking, so no I don't think there exists any examples of any of them using rhetoric worse than Trump. They all don't even like Trump, we saw this during the Republican primaries. Maybe this means I am wrong, but I wasn't referring to politicians.

I meant things like harassing people who wear MAGA hats in public, yelling at and chasing out Republican politicians from bars and restaurants, press praise of AntiFA for violence against conservatives because, well, conservatives are fascists and the only way to fight fascists is to punch them in the face. That last example though, luckily the tide has turned and presses are generally against AntiFA and AntiFA-behavior today but my point is that they used to be approved of. This behavior occurs because the left has a trend of constantly trying to identify definitely and totally the conservative with nazism and fascism, or other highly charged -isms like sexism and racism, and that there cannot possibly be any other reason for a conservative to behave, believe, or have preferences other than for those -isms reasons. I said the left uses for their 'other' the conservative, and I see this practice as part of their dehumanizing efforts of 'otherizing' the conservative. For example, you can see it in this poll of general attitudes https://www.axios.com/poll-democrats...9e43ce320.html .

Even the very language of "Resist" is suspicious, since we are still in a free country, we can all still vote, the rule of law still prevails (the midterm results proves this).

So, what about the right and the 'other' put forth by Zekk Pacus? You don't see any of them saying, "It's OK to punch a Mexican in the face because xyz reasons" nor do you see them chasing out Mexicans from restaurants, whether they are politicians or not, or anything like that. They want to build the wall and to reduce, or even entirely cut off, immigration from Mexico yes true but you don't see any incitements of violence against Mexicans from their media, from their celebrities, or their other popular figures whereas we have seen that frequently from the left. Here's a terrible example, but everyone knows the picture of Kathy Griffin with the bloody beheaded head of Trump, yes she's a D-list actor desperate for attention fair enough but the very environment caused her to think taking and publicizing that photo was OK and good.

To be clear, I am NOT saying that Democrats are intrinsically worse than Republicans or that one side is always worse than the other. This is happening because currently institutional powers favor the left more so they have more free rein. If institutional powers were to shift to favor the right more, then being emboldened by this, their language would become far more ugly. I wish we could have a more communal attitude in the US but it will probably never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Even the very language of "Resist" is suspicious, since we are still in a free country, we can all still vote, the rule of law still prevails (the midterm results proves this).
    The "Resist" campaign is laughably tame, compared to occupying wildlife refuges, driving over protestors, murdering civil rights workers and tying gay men to a fence and setting them on fire.

Do you want the left to resist the opposition like the right has? Because we're willing.
    Last edited by Nordstern; May 23 2019 at 05:31:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Context: duckduck asked me in the UK Politics thread if I had any specific examples of Democrat politicians, or notable figures in the "left", who used language as hostile as Trump.

My reply:
    You are correct there is not any Democrat politician who uses language as bad as Trump. There are not even any Republican politicians who do either. Outside of Trump, Republican and Democrat politicians try to speak in a very PC way, I mean people like Pelosi, McConnell, Schumer, Romney, Bush, Rubio, Cruz, etc. all have that similar way of speaking, the politician's way of speaking, so no I don't think there exists any examples of any of them using rhetoric worse than Trump. They all don't even like Trump, we saw this during the Republican primaries. Maybe this means I am wrong, but I wasn't referring to politicians.

I meant things like harassing people who wear MAGA hats in public, yelling at and chasing out Republican politicians from bars and restaurants, press praise of AntiFA for violence against conservatives because, well, conservatives are fascists and the only way to fight fascists is to punch them in the face. That last example though, luckily the tide has turned and presses are generally against AntiFA and AntiFA-behavior today but my point is that they used to be approved of. This behavior occurs because the left has a trend of constantly trying to identify definitely and totally the conservative with nazism and fascism, or other highly charged -isms like sexism and racism, and that there cannot possibly be any other reason for a conservative to behave, believe, or have preferences other than for those -isms reasons. I said the left uses for their 'other' the conservative, and I see this practice as part of their dehumanizing efforts of 'otherizing' the conservative. For example, you can see it in this poll of general attitudes https://www.axios.com/poll-democrats...9e43ce320.html .

Meanwhile, conservatives are mostly happy that cops are executing black kids, and all us libtard snowflakes shouldn't complain about it in case we hurt the cops feelings or something. How dare a young man with integrity kneel respectfully during the national anthem to show his outrage at the blatant racism.

They also want to force some medieval religious bullshit down the rest of our throats, and don't seem to actually understand this constitution they all talk so much about.

Maybe conservatives are getting dehumanized because basically, saying "fuck you, die" to your fellow countrymen can't be seen as simple stupidity anymore...

Do you even understand what the Trump Administration is doing to this natural country with what they are doing to the EPA? The republicans literally want to destroy the earth we are living on. The religious right are ok with this because you can't have a rapture unless the world ends.

Conservatives are no longer what the name implies. They are a radical death cult that is trying to bring about the end of the world. There is literally no other explanation for the level of crass, anti-human, anti-natural environment and just plain mean spirited initiatives, basically hatred, they perpetrate with their words, desires and policy every day. It can't be put more plainly.

The left in America, I think, has woken up to their shit a bit. That's why we're being mean to you, You are literally trying to kill us.
    meh

Hang about, we're going to go to Antifa territory? The same antifa who have had members of their movement murdered by the right-wing Nazis? The same Nazis that Trump defended as good people? The same Trump the Republicans line up behind each other to defend and shield from any sort of checks and balances? You're really going to go there?

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Hang about, we're going to go to Antifa territory? The same antifa who have had members of their movement murdered by the right-wing Nazis? The same Nazis that Trump defended as good people? The same Trump the Republicans line up behind each other to defend and shield from any sort of checks and balances? You're really going to go there?
    Shills gonna shill