hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 307 of 393 FirstFirst ... 207257297304305306307308309310317357 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,140 of 7851

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Guessing sonderland wanted to preempt the highly likely under-the-bus-throwing.

Interesting move, let’s see if it pays off for him.
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Guessing sonderland wanted to preempt the highly likely under-the-bus-throwing.

Interesting move, let’s see if it pays off for him.
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft

Sharpee proof: NO QUID PRO QUO!
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    I find the lack of commentary on the ongoing (pre-)impeachment hearings disturbing.
    It's not a hearing. It's a kangaroo court. Regardless of what happens the house will pass the articles of impeachment. Regardless of what happens the senate will acquit.
    Quoting for posterity. After Sondland i give it a real 50/50 chance that the senate will have no choice.

That was some going rogue right there.
    I'm ok with being wrong on this one.

Republicans have a strong capability to deny and bend reality.

So I'm not optimistic at all

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Republicans have a strong capability to deny and bend reality.

So I'm not optimistic at all
    Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses have been specially designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. At the first hint of trouble, they turn totally black and thus prevent you from seeing anything that might alarm you.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    There needs to be actual rules and guidelines for drawing district boundaries which are followed and enforced.
    Like with cars, bank tellers and middle management, the sooner we remove the humans from the political process and replace them with machines that aren't cunts to each other, the better.
    It looks good but then who's gonna code implement and monitor the machines? There's always the regressive problem that eventually some human has to handle it.

King of the Food Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by quarky View Post
    Back from historical grievances: Sondland absolutely burying not just Trump, but in effect implicating Pence, Perry, Pompeo, Mulvaney, basically everyone in and around Trump:

Everyone was in the loop. It was no secret. Everyone was informed via email on July 19, days before the Presidential call. As I communicated to the team, I told President Zelensky in advance that assurances to “run a fully transparent investigation” and “turn over every stone” were necessary in his call with President Trump.
    Let's be clear about this: he could have pleaded the 5th; he could have done an Oliver North; he could even have tried to not show up. But no. He's basically up there, implicating himself, and everyone involved, and completely demolishing everything Trump, the White House, and the Republicans have been saying ever since this started. Like a bouwzzz.

And you know what, now that everyone Republican has massive egg on it's face: the senate will probably still not impeach Trump.

Because that is where the US is at right now ...

What interesting times we live in ...
    Dunno, I missed some of the hearing but as Kurt Volcker yesterday, he pretends that he never connected the dots with Burisma and Biden back then. Not very plausible, but at least some line of defense for him and sadly for the Republicans.

Or are you going to tell me they didn't connected the dots either?
    I bolded the important part. It`s clear what happened, still the hearings will not be sufficient for impeachment.

Quote Originally Posted by quarky View Post
    Back from historical grievances: Sondland absolutely burying not just Trump, but in effect implicating Pence, Perry, Pompeo, Mulvaney, basically everyone in and around Trump:

Everyone was in the loop. It was no secret. Everyone was informed via email on July 19, days before the Presidential call. As I communicated to the team, I told President Zelensky in advance that assurances to “run a fully transparent investigation” and “turn over every stone” were necessary in his call with President Trump.
    Let's be clear about this: he could have pleaded the 5th; he could have done an Oliver North; he could even have tried to not show up. But no. He's basically up there, implicating himself, and everyone involved, and completely demolishing everything Trump, the White House, and the Republicans have been saying ever since this started. Like a bouwzzz.

And you know what, now that everyone Republican has massive egg on it's face: the senate will probably still not impeach Trump.

Because that is where the US is at right now ...

What interesting times we live in ...
    Dunno, I missed some of the hearing but as Kurt Volcker yesterday, he pretends that he never connected the dots with Burisma and Biden back then. Not very plausible, but at least some line of defense for him and sadly for the Republicans.
    What holds for Volcker, doesn't hold for Trump. Or Guilliani. Or Pompeo. Ohhh, forget it, everyone was in on it. After Sondland and now Hill, that defense doesn't hold up either.

Or are you going to tell me they didn't connected the dots either?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    There needs to be actual rules and guidelines for drawing district boundaries which are followed and enforced.
    Like with cars, bank tellers and middle management, the sooner we remove the humans from the political process and replace them with machines that aren't cunts to each other, the better.
    It looks good but then who's gonna code implement and monitor the machines? There's always the regressive problem that eventually some human has to handle it.
    Nerds.
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    We all learn some code and work 2 days a week while robots do the socially useful stuff.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ego Proxy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    It's also not a court. Yes it's performative, but the performance is important for establishing exactly what the Republicans will be on the hook to voters for come election season. And despite everything, that does still matter.
    Voters created this situation.
    Eh, the Electoral College created this situation, along with Fox News. A plurality of voters tried to avoid this situation.
    The Electoral College had nothing to do with Trump's victory over 16 of his challengers. Stop blaming it. Your point about Fox News is perfectly valid, however.
    It's true that he got the Republican nomination all on his own, and there are dozens of ancient forces at work that made that possible.
    Didn't also the fact that the Republicans allowed everyone to vote in their primaries, not just registered Republicans, play a role in this? I seem to remember something to that effect.
    Most primaries are closed, meaning you must be registered with the party to vote the ballot.

An unaffiliated voter can chose an affiliation the moment before voting, and after a window of time elapses they can go back to being unaffiliated, meaning the only thing a closed primary accomplishes is limiting the voter to voting in one party's primary.
    This is only how my state works, I cannot speak with certainty about other states.
    Thx Ego, appreciate the explanation.

I searched around myself a bit after your answer and it seems I remembered that wrong. While it varied from state to state back in 2016 for the presidential primaries, there was no "open-to-all" voting of the kind I had in mind/remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ego Proxy View Post
    It's also not a court. Yes it's performative, but the performance is important for establishing exactly what the Republicans will be on the hook to voters for come election season. And despite everything, that does still matter.
    Voters created this situation.
    Eh, the Electoral College created this situation, along with Fox News. A plurality of voters tried to avoid this situation.
    The Electoral College had nothing to do with Trump's victory over 16 of his challengers. Stop blaming it. Your point about Fox News is perfectly valid, however.
    It's true that he got the Republican nomination all on his own, and there are dozens of ancient forces at work that made that possible.
    Didn't also the fact that the Republicans allowed everyone to vote in their primaries, not just registered Republicans, play a role in this? I seem to remember something to that effect.
    Most primaries are closed, meaning you must be registered with the party to vote the ballot.

An unaffiliated voter can chose an affiliation the moment before voting, and after a window of time elapses they can go back to being unaffiliated, meaning the only thing a closed primary accomplishes is limiting the voter to voting in one party's primary.
    This is only how my state works, I cannot speak with certainty about other states.
    Thx Ego, appreciate the explanation.

I searched around myself a bit after your answer and it seems I remembered that wrong. While it varied from state to state back in 2016 for the presidential primaries, there was no "open-to-all" voting of the kind I had in mind/remembered.
    In many states, unaffiliated voters must choose a party weeks or months in advance.

What is the reason for having to affiliate? I honestly dont get why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

It's usually easier to control the party when party diehards are the ones voting.

Someone who hates the party is not really welcome in the primary.
    Last edited by mewninn; November 22 2019 at 05:07:36 PM.

Because a party is a private organisation composed of its members.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Because a party is a private organisation composed of its members.
    This is a descriptive view of things as they are, but it's totally useless for hashing out principles or understanding motivations.

They use it as a gate for who can vote in primaries, mostly, but it varies state by state.

I am an unaffiliated voter (which is a different choice to Independent), and in California, I cannot vote in the Republican primary, my ballot simply does not have those options. The democrats have traditionally had open primaries, but they changed in last minute here in 2016 to fuck Bernie.
    meh

Sorry, but the "private org, private rules" thing pisses me off so much.

It's extremely asinine to consider an institution which has existed for 100+ years, directly shapes public policy, and has millions of members to be a "private" organization. Once again, it's the idiotic notion that democracy only ever happens for the 2 minutes you're at the ballot box.

Democracy should be all about power sharing, and that absolutely has to begin with who is allowed to control political parties, how open their decision-making processes are, and what type of rules and criteria those parties have for membership/funding/etc.

Fair rules for political parties are obviously of great interest to the public, and they should be held accountable via political reporting at least. The way people tried to brush off complaints and denigrate reporting about 2016 with "it's a private party" was very annoying
    Last edited by mewninn; November 22 2019 at 06:55:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Sorry, but the "private org, private rules" thing pisses me off so much.

It's extremely asinine to consider an institution which has existed for 100+ years, directly shapes public policy, and has millions of members to be a "private" organization. Once again, it's the idiotic notion that democracy only ever happens for the 2 minutes you're at the ballot box.

Democracy should be all about power sharing, and that absolutely has to begin with who is allowed to control political parties, how open their decision-making processes are, and what type of rules and criteria those parties have for membership/funding/etc.

Fair rules for political parties are obviously of great interest to the public, and they should be held accountable via political reporting at least. The way people tried to brush off complaints and denigrate reporting about 2016 with "it's a private party" was very annoying
    well, in a break from the norm, I think the 250 yr old rich old white folks who were against parties were 100% correct...
    meh