hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 414 of 581 FirstFirst ... 314364404411412413414415416417424464514 ... LastLast
Results 8,261 to 8,280 of 11610

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    We also somehow manage to count the paper ballots faster than Murica does their electronic tallies...
    You know that my city has more people in it that your country, right? No matter which one of the nordic countries it is...
    You know that I also addressed that one

We also somehow manage to count the paper ballots faster than Murica does their electronic tallies...
    You know that my city has more people in it that your country, right? No matter which one of the nordic countries it is...
    Yeah, the number of people doesn't matter when done properly.

However, we only typically vote in three elections per voter whereas in the US they can literally have dozens of things to vote on. That will complicate matters quite a bit. (But we can still assume they're doing that part wrong because why not?)

The registration of the voters has always baffled me, but I guess it is a side-effect of having such shit census data. Here in the best-north everone can pre-vote with just the ID on any station, election day voting needs to happen on your assigned voting station, info on which will be automatically mailed to you.
    Yeah, but that requires (I assume, as that's the case in Germany and voting works here the same way) mandatory IDs, which is - even for lots of non-redneckish U.S. Americans, TEH EBIL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Yeah, the number of people doesn't matter when done properly.

However, we only typically vote in three elections per voter whereas in the US they can literally have dozens of things to vote on. That will complicate matters quite a bit. (But we can still assume they're doing that part wrong because why not?)
    My Ballot covers US/California/My County/My City, and each will have positions and proposals. So, all the way from president, to my local city council, and then any of the citizen derived (we can write our own legislative proposals and get them on the ballot in California, one of the things we do better here than ANYWHERE else, imo), so yeah, generally my ballot paper will run to 2-4 double sided ballot sheet (bigger than A4 paper) with probably 20-30 "questions" that need to be voted on.

Its very very different to anywhere else I've lived where you get a slip of paper with 3 political parties on it and no other input from the citizens is wanted.
    meh

No, you are completely wrong about that, so I ignored it.
    meh

Well then it makes sense to split up the ballots across different time periods for different votes. Otherwise you have a system which makes informed voting on each issue almost impossible by design.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

I mean you folks donít think that paper ballots are counted by a person with a clicker or a tally sheet right?

Our mail-in ballots are fed into a scanner that does the tallying automatically. Itís the same amount of labor whether there are five items on the ballot, or twenty five. We then check online to see if there were any issues with processing, and if so, the paper ballot can be examined as a back-up.

Full results take a few days because ballots in transit will trickle after Election Day, as your ballot only needs to be in the post as of Election Day. Or you can drop your ballot at a drop box, of which there is at least one in every town available for a few weeks before the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Well then it makes sense to split up the ballots across different time periods for different votes. Otherwise you have a system which makes informed voting on each issue almost impossible by design.
    We get a fat packet of information about the stuff we’re voting on. People either read it or don’t, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    We get a fat packet of information about the stuff we’re voting on. People either read it or don’t, I guess?
    It is easier to keep informed if you have 5 votes spread across a year than 5 votes all at once. Splitting a fat packet of information into several fat packets of information spread over a longer period of time is obviously easier than absorbing the whole pack at once.

There's a reason schools don't schedule one whole day for maths, the next day for english, the next day for history etc.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Just to be picky. There is not a single city in america with a population larger than sweden. You're about 2 mil short of that even in NY.

We get a fat packet of information about the stuff weíre voting on. People either read it or donít, I guess?
    It is easier to keep informed if you have 5 votes spread across a year than 5 votes all at once. Splitting a fat packet of information into several fat packets of information spread over a longer period of time is obviously easier than absorbing the whole pack at once.

There's a reason schools don't schedule one whole day for maths, the next day for english, the next day for history etc.
    its already pretty common for local elections to happen separately in off-years or weird times in the USA. Turnout is terrible. The only people who vote are pensioners who care enough about a local pet peeve (usually property taxes)

I leave you to judge whether that's actually a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

its already pretty common for local elections to happen separately in off-years or weird times in the USA. Turnout is terrible. The only people who vote are pensioners who care enough about a local pet peeve (usually property taxes)

I leave you to judge whether that's actually a good thing
    Yup.

We usually have a few elections a year, and it is broken out by some extent. The presidential year November ballot is usually the only monster ballot we get, as it will have us vote for:

US President
    US Senator
    US representative

Governor
    State Secretary of State
    State Attorney general
    State Treasurer
    State senator
    State representative
    1-3 Supreme Court justices
    5-10 County judges
    County prosecutor
    County administrator

5-10 statewide ballot initiatives

City elections and initiatives, and certain county elections are either in off years, or staggered terms, etc.

Oh yeah I forgot America is mad and has an elected judiciary

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    Just to be picky. There is not a single city in america with a population larger than sweden. You're about 2 mil short of that even in NY.
    we'll see if that holds true in a year's time though.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Sweden appears to be ahead of the curve, actually.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...rch-17-update/

Ok, Well, lets say state then, just to cement the argument clearly.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Sweden appears to be ahead of the curve, actually.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...rch-17-update/
    I would be abit carefull with those numbers, we dont test "general public" any longer, just risk groups and/or people being hospitalized.

And riding the subway on my way home i noticed people where out in force again, so this might take off quickly in the capital (hoping it doesn't ofc).

Well, the russian asset dropped out and endorsed Biden. Does this prove the Russians want Biden now?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Well, the russian asset dropped out and endorsed Biden.
    Bernie dropped out?!?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Well, the russian asset dropped out and endorsed Biden.
    Bernie dropped out?!?
    Gabbard.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard