hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 711 of 823 FirstFirst ... 211611661701708709710711712713714721761811 ... LastLast
Results 14,201 to 14,220 of 16447

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

  1. #14201
    Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24, 2011
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Devonshire
    Posts
    8,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I think it depends on the ethnic grouping too.

    Some groups do tend to identify as the heritage grouping more readily.

    Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Scottish, Russian are all groups I can think of locally from Europe that all still strongly identify as such.

    There is no "British Club" here that I can think of.
    British is not an ethnicity.
    Tell them that.
    Yeah, says who?
    British is as much an ethnicity as English or Italian or German

    There are fucking hundreds of cultures tied up in all the above

    In England alone Devon and Cornish identity is totally separate and you can get into cultural differences between regions that don't even appear on most maps.

    But for the sake of convenience I just say "British" or under some circumstances sometimes "European" because that's how I identify on the larger scale.

    In the UK there is a specifically hideous streak of English nationalism that you evoke by claiming to be "English" especially among other people in the UK. Claiming to be "Scottish" or "Welsh" also carries complex connotations that Americans are normally completely oblivious to.
    So which part of England are you from?
    I was born in Aberdeen if that's interesting to you


    Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

  2. #14202
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I think it depends on the ethnic grouping too.

    Some groups do tend to identify as the heritage grouping more readily.

    Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Scottish, Russian are all groups I can think of locally from Europe that all still strongly identify as such.

    There is no "British Club" here that I can think of.
    British is not an ethnicity.
    Tell them that.
    Yeah, says who?
    British is as much an ethnicity as English or Italian or German

    There are fucking hundreds of cultures tied up in all the above

    In England alone Devon and Cornish identity is totally separate and you can get into cultural differences between regions that don't even appear on most maps.

    But for the sake of convenience I just say "British" or under some circumstances sometimes "European" because that's how I identify on the larger scale.

    In the UK there is a specifically hideous streak of English nationalism that you evoke by claiming to be "English" especially among other people in the UK. Claiming to be "Scottish" or "Welsh" also carries complex connotations that Americans are normally completely oblivious to.
    So which part of England are you from?
    I was born in Aberdeen if that's interesting to you
    It is. Potentially this is a generational thing: it's something my mother pointed out to me (she corected me when I described her as British), and something I found generally to be correct since then.

  3. #14203
    Paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24, 2011
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Devonshire
    Posts
    8,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I think it depends on the ethnic grouping too.

    Some groups do tend to identify as the heritage grouping more readily.

    Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Scottish, Russian are all groups I can think of locally from Europe that all still strongly identify as such.

    There is no "British Club" here that I can think of.
    British is not an ethnicity.
    Tell them that.
    Yeah, says who?
    British is as much an ethnicity as English or Italian or German

    There are fucking hundreds of cultures tied up in all the above

    In England alone Devon and Cornish identity is totally separate and you can get into cultural differences between regions that don't even appear on most maps.

    But for the sake of convenience I just say "British" or under some circumstances sometimes "European" because that's how I identify on the larger scale.

    In the UK there is a specifically hideous streak of English nationalism that you evoke by claiming to be "English" especially among other people in the UK. Claiming to be "Scottish" or "Welsh" also carries complex connotations that Americans are normally completely oblivious to.
    So which part of England are you from?
    I was born in Aberdeen if that's interesting to you
    It is. Potentially this is a generational thing: it's something my mother pointed out to me (she corected me when I described her as British), and something I found generally to be correct since then.
    It's more complex than that. There are Scots that would spit at you if you called them British and there are Scots who wouldn't think twice. Both groups occupy every generation

    The same goes for Welsh people and indeed Yorkshire and other places that tend toward strong regional identities


    Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

  4. #14204
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I think it depends on the ethnic grouping too.

    Some groups do tend to identify as the heritage grouping more readily.

    Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Scottish, Russian are all groups I can think of locally from Europe that all still strongly identify as such.

    There is no "British Club" here that I can think of.
    British is not an ethnicity.
    Tell them that.
    Yeah, says who?
    British is as much an ethnicity as English or Italian or German

    There are fucking hundreds of cultures tied up in all the above

    In England alone Devon and Cornish identity is totally separate and you can get into cultural differences between regions that don't even appear on most maps.

    But for the sake of convenience I just say "British" or under some circumstances sometimes "European" because that's how I identify on the larger scale.

    In the UK there is a specifically hideous streak of English nationalism that you evoke by claiming to be "English" especially among other people in the UK. Claiming to be "Scottish" or "Welsh" also carries complex connotations that Americans are normally completely oblivious to.
    So which part of England are you from?
    I was born in Aberdeen if that's interesting to you
    that is interesting actually, i'd never have guessed that

  5. #14205
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,965
    The US politics thread has been invaded by "the brits", on the very day of the end of the presidential race of 2020. How bizarre!

  6. #14206
    Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24, 2011
    Location
    Putting owls in your Moss
    Posts
    10,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    The US politics thread has been colonized by "the brits", on the very day of the end of the presidential race of 2020. How appropriate!
    fyp

  7. #14207
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    9,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    The US politics thread has been invaded by "the brits", on the very day of the end of the presidential race of 2020. How bizarre!
    (not a brit)

  8. #14208
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,965
    True story, I saw an old Irish man throw a soda on a kid that called him British in a Registry of Motor Vehichles once, was quite the time. His family whisked him away and told the kid "look up the troubles if you want to know why you are soaking wet". Please don't dump soda on me, I know you aren't one of them good sir.

  9. #14209
    walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Posts
    6,783
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

  10. #14210
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    hhahahaha wow, i mean when you're broke you gotta do what you gotta do

  11. #14211
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    7,851

  12. #14212
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    7,851
    Goodbye sweet prince, we will miss you ;_;


  13. #14213
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,275
    Had a look at reddit this morning: one could honestly be mistaken for thinking Biden is the second coming of Christ. Nobody seems to be acknowledging the pretty worrying 70million votes for Trump.

  14. #14214

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    5,446
    Imagine if electors decide to troll and reelect Trump.

  15. #14215
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Had a look at reddit this morning: one could honestly be mistaken for thinking Biden is the second coming of Christ. Nobody seems to be acknowledging the pretty worrying 70million votes for Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    The more I see from the US the more it becomes apparent that as soon as Biden gets elected it will be incredibly convenient for the chattering classes to pretend everything is normal again.
    Yes.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  16. #14216
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    7,851
    I think you're underestimating anger in people, but we'll see.

    My bet is that Biden slaps on some poorly thought out pseudo reforms, lefties in democrats will continue to gain ground, riots will continue and everything comes crashing down ever harder by the end of his term.

      Spoiler:
    Hopefully with the stronger, more organized left.

  17. #14217

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    7,816
    It would be quite accomplisment to not have things coming crashing down during his term with the groundwork done by mr orange

  18. #14218
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    7,851
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    It would be quite accomplisment to not have things coming crashing down during his term with the groundwork done by mr orange
    Getting rid of trump was like cuting open a boil or squeezing out a huge pimple. It feels nice, but the disease is still there and has been for a long time since reagan.

  19. #14219
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Had a look at reddit this morning: one could honestly be mistaken for thinking Biden is the second coming of Christ. Nobody seems to be acknowledging the pretty worrying 70million votes for Trump.
    You keep forgetting that about 40-45% of the American electorate will vote for their party, regardless of candidate or issue. That's why their elections are always so damn close.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  20. #14220

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,902
    I like how the centrists are already busy attacking the progressive side and saying how they should be friends with republicans and work together.

    All over the place.

    While in the meantime:

    Last edited by Isyel; November 8 2020 at 10:37:08 AM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •