hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 708 of 823 FirstFirst ... 208608658698705706707708709710711718758808 ... LastLast
Results 14,141 to 14,160 of 16447

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

  1. #14141
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    23,120
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    A glorious day.

    Libtards wrecked.
    Its even funnier in hindsight.
    pyramidquoting epic fail

  2. #14142

    Join Date
    May 25, 2011
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Why is the BBC calling Harris a ‘black woman’?
    idgi

  3. #14143
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,275
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Why is the BBC calling Harris a ‘black woman’?
    idgi
    She is mixed race - why mislabel her?

  4. #14144
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    7,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Why is the BBC calling Harris a ‘black woman’?
    idgi
    She is mixed race - why mislabel her?
    Because idpol wars must continue, lest people get mad at people owning these media.

  5. #14145

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,704
    Its not over.

    We dont know how hard Trump is going to try to fuck shit up the next two months, and Georgia is going into runoffs in January (?) which could decide the Senate (unlikely, but in a dream scenario who knows...). The worst thing to do now is let your guard down.

    It will also be interesting to see how Pence positions himself.

  6. #14146
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Why is the BBC calling Harris a ‘black woman’?
    idgi
    She is mixed race - why mislabel her?
    Because idpol wars must continue, lest people get mad at people owning these media.

  7. #14147

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Embracing Mediocrity
    Posts
    3,158
    https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53728050

    She will also be the first black and the first Asian American vice-president.
    Perhaps it's just a consistency issue? CNN for example has been referring to her as "Black and South Asian".

  8. #14148

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    5,446
    I'm watching the news right now, what's up with these huge crowds so close to each other "Celebrating" Biden win?
    Did covid19 disappear after the election like everyone said it will ?

  9. #14149
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    16,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Why is the BBC calling Harris a ‘black woman’?
    idgi
    She is mixed race - why mislabel her?
    if you are mixed race with any black in america, they call you black. They didn't create a brand new race to hold the detritus of slave rape like they did in South Africa.
    meh

  10. #14150
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53728050

    She will also be the first black and the first Asian American vice-president.
    Perhaps it's just a consistency issue? CNN for example has been referring to her as "Black and South Asian".
    I hope so, although I really can’t tell anymore.

    Fuck I hate the 24-hour news cycle, I hate it so much.

  11. #14151
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,275
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Why is the BBC calling Harris a ‘black woman’?
    idgi
    She is mixed race - why mislabel her?
    if you are mixed race with any black in america, they call you black. They didn't create a brand new race to hold the detritus of slave rape like they did in South Africa.
    Seems weird but ok

  12. #14152
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,141
    Referring to someone as mixed race is a faux pas. People will immediately ask "which races" and then you get distracted explaining. Simply saying "black" isn't quite right, but it isn't quite wrong, either. By saying "black", you just say it and move on.

    We could also have a discussion about whether having ancestors of different ethnicities makes you "mixed race".
    Last edited by Nordstern; November 7 2020 at 08:09:50 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  13. #14153
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Referring to someone as mixed race is a faux pas. People will immediately ask "which races" and then you get distracted explaining. Simply saying "black" isn't quite right, but it isn't quite wrong, either. By saying "black", you just say it and move on.
    nope

  14. #14154
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Its not over.

    We dont know how hard Trump is going to try to fuck shit up the next two months, and Georgia is going into runoffs in January (?) which could decide the Senate (unlikely, but in a dream scenario who knows...). The worst thing to do now is let your guard down.

    It will also be interesting to see how Pence positions himself.
    Republicans will put more effort into saving those two Georgia seats than they did for Trump

  15. #14155
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Why is the BBC calling Harris a ‘black woman’?
    Your question implies that you don't think she is a black woman.

    I believe she identifies as both Black and South Asian (and a woman).

    What do you think the BBC should call her?


  16. #14156
    Shaikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Kador
    Posts
    3,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    nope
    nope
    Quote Originally Posted by cucaldvida View Post
    ...suck on the devices of the callow people...

  17. #14157
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Why is the BBC calling Harris a ‘black woman’?
    Your question implies that you don't think she is a black woman.

    I believe she identifies as both Black and South Asian (and a woman).

    What do you think the BBC should call her?
    Mixed race, as that is what is correct - or multi/bi-racial.

    I asked the question because it is one my African friends (those that I grew up with, not ones in London) discuss a lot too. It occurred to me again this evening when I saw the headline.

  18. #14158
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    15,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Referring to someone as mixed race is a faux pas. People will immediately ask "which races" and then you get distracted explaining. Simply saying "black" isn't quite right, but it isn't quite wrong, either. By saying "black", you just say it and move on.
    nope
    For the US, that is spot on.

    Did Americans never ask you of your ethnicity/background? Has no American ever told you how they were 5% Native American which makes them Native American? Or how since their great great grandmother was English they were English as well?

    Americans don't say they are mixed ever. They are always all of their ancestors' identities.

    Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

  19. #14159
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Referring to someone as mixed race is a faux pas. People will immediately ask "which races" and then you get distracted explaining. Simply saying "black" isn't quite right, but it isn't quite wrong, either. By saying "black", you just say it and move on.
    nope
    For the US, that is spot on.

    Did Americans never ask you of your ethnicity/background? Has no American ever told you how they were 5% Native American which makes them Native American? Or how since their great great grandmother was English they were English as well?

    Americans don't say they are mixed ever. They are always all of their ancestors' identities.

    Tapapapatalk
    Yeh you’re right, Erich explained it well too.

    In other news, /pol/ is having a delicious meltdown.

  20. #14160
    evil edna's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    5,907
    Americans and their desperate clinging to being anything other than american is always weird

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •