hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 290 of 611 FirstFirst ... 190240280287288289290291292293300340390 ... LastLast
Results 5,781 to 5,800 of 12220

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

It is a rookie mistake if you want to avoid a military coup backed by America.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    The very same lithium, they were drawing up plans to deal with international markets directly as sellers instead of through western corporate entities.

The CIA/deep state are everywhere at everytime. Lizard men don't need sleep.
    During the Cold War the KGB suspected the CIA to be behind everything that happened that wasn't according to their plans.
    At the same time the CIA suspected the KGB to be behind everything that didn't go according to their plans.

Yet when you look at each other's missions during that time, usually neither side was involved in the eventual outcome, if at all. At best they jumped onto things way too late.

The actual success stories were rare for both sides.

This became super obvious to me when I read histories of each service back to back.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

It is a rookie mistake if you want to avoid a military coup backed by America.
    betting on the whole thing getting fumbled as badly as Venezuela was and just passing by entirely doesn't strike me as unreasonable considering the sitting administration.

but on the other hand, never bet on hellworld, it's invariably going to make you lose.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    The very same lithium, they were drawing up plans to deal with international markets directly as sellers instead of through western corporate entities.

The CIA/deep state are everywhere at everytime. Lizard men don't need sleep.
    During the Cold War the KGB suspected the CIA to be behind everything that happened that wasn't according to their plans.
    At the same time the CIA suspected the KGB to be behind everything that didn't go according to their plans.

Yet when you look at each other's missions during that time, usually neither side was involved in the eventual outcome, if at all. At best they jumped onto things way too late.

The actual success stories were rare for both sides.

This became super obvious to me when I read histories of each service back to back.

Tapapapatalk
    This has pretty much been my conclusion about most "Grand Conspiracies" just simply observing how N(N-1)/2 applies in rl.
    meh

It's funny though how paranoid both services ended up being about each other. Literally everything was the other side, down to the weather.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

No offence Joe but are you saying USA wasn't implicated in most southern and central murican shenangians for the last century?

Gary Webb definitely shot himself twice in the head and Jeffery Epstein hanged himself with paper towels.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    It's funny though how paranoid both services ended up being about each other. Literally everything was the other side, down to the weather.

Tapapapatalk
    wonder how much was different departments within the same agencies accidentally screwing each other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Tapapapatalk
    Also a great way to get increased funding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post

Tapapapatalk
    Also a great way to get increased funding.
    The first duty of any bureaucracy is to perpetuate itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    No offence Joe but are you saying USA wasn't implicated in most southern and central murican shenangians for the last century?
    No, I'm saying they were far less successful than they would have wanted to be.

For the US, I can only think of two successful covert operations that mostly worked out how the CIA wanted it: Iran and Chile. Iran didn't last and Chile was apparently something stumbled into.

I mean if the CIA had been competent, Allende would have never been elected. They poured some seven million dollars into the election campaign of Allende's in 1970.

What is interesting is that CIA reports and historians don't agree whether the CIA actively supported the coup or was just complicit by keeping close ties with the Chilean military. There's even a recording between Reagan and Kissinger with Kissinger complaining about the US not getting any recognition for toppling a Communist government in Chile and Reagan going that this wasn't the US job.
    In 1970 during Allende's election campaign the US did actively seek military personnel to topple the Chilean government as well as run a massive smear campaign against Allende (the aforementioned seven million were for that campaign). This the US does acknowledge.

The truth is probably somewhere in between. Some CIA people while keeping close ties to the Chilean military probably thought to support the coup in order to make up for their failure in 1970. They did so with no support at first. As soon as the coup gained traction and was not very likely to fail, the US jumped on it. Because not doing so would have been massively stupid.

Spoiler:

Oh and the CIA told the West German intelligence service a few days before the coup. They didn't inform the West German government but a mole informed the East German Stasi, which in turn tried to warn Allende. The message didn't arrive in time but eventually they extracted a bunch of persecuted left politicians.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Joe is so autistic that he narrowly defines successful CIA coups on some German teachers grade of "Did we accomplish all our objectives today?"

I'd say that removing a leader who wanted nationalization/land reform/relations with USSR is a pretty successful covert operation, but I guess since it didn't spawn the requisite Mugabe-length dicatorship it cannot be quantified as "successful"
    Last edited by mewninn; November 11 2019 at 10:50:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Joe is so autistic that he narrowly defines successful CIA coups on some German teachers grade of "Did we accomplish all our objectives today?"

I'd say that removing a leader who wanted nationalization/land reform/relations with USSR is a pretty successful covert operation, but I guess since it didn't spawn the requisite Mugabe-length dicatorship it cannot be quantified as "successful"
    Well what are the CIA's criteria for success?

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

How many people actually blame Mossad.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

pre-Pink Tide Latin America

A whole constellation of right-wing governments that were friendly to capital, hostile to indigenous populations, and hostile to the "shirtless".

maybe they should put some fucking shirts on then and get back to work, those bananas wont grow themselves, vamos campesinos!

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Congrats CIA for taking over Bolivia just as they started considering nationalising their lithium mines.

That's very legal and cool.

I'm sure amending the constitution to extend your rule and engaging in election fraud did not factor into the protests in any way.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    maybe they should put some fucking shirts on then and get back to work, those bananas wont grow themselves, vamos campesinos!
    meh

Classic Smedley Butler scenes.