hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 341 of 423 FirstFirst ... 241291331338339340341342343344351391 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,820 of 8445

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

  1. #6801
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Warren as VP is a terrible idea.

    Warren as Senate leader is a much better idea. We need someone with her caliber and commitment advancing a progressive legislative agenda in the senate. With both Sanders and Warren in the executive branch, I don’t know who that would be. Ron Wyden, maybe?
    Has anyone identified Republican senators who are vulnerable this cycle? There probably aren't any, since the media is looking at Democrats who are trying to survive.
    going by the last couple pages, I guess it's time to panic and pretend we lose by default

  2. #6802
    Kai's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2012
    Posts
    7,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Warren as VP is a terrible idea.

    Warren as Senate leader is a much better idea. We need someone with her caliber and commitment advancing a progressive legislative agenda in the senate. With both Sanders and Warren in the executive branch, I don’t know who that would be. Ron Wyden, maybe?
    Has anyone identified Republican senators who are vulnerable this cycle? There probably aren't any, since the media is looking at Democrats who are trying to survive.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ok-vulnerable/

  3. #6803
    Jori McKie's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8, 2014
    Location
    Lumpy
    Posts
    162
    Chances for Bolton as a witness rised, we will know on Friday
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/u...witnesses.html

  4. #6804

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,353
    McConnell reportedly said that he currently wouldnt have the votes to prevent witnesses. So that nice.

    Whats not so nice is that this was immediately followed by "but he is confident he would pressure enough votes by the end of the week". How fucking ominous is that? Whats he going to do, horse head in the bed?

  5. #6805

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    5,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Yep. This is starting to look unwinnable for the democrats from a distance.

    All these candidates appeal to different sections of the electorate and you can only choose one. Whichever one is chosen will alienate every group who isn't their base, everyone who wasn't their base will claim they were the worst possible candidate and enough of them will vote for an independent instead.
    I really think you’re overstating things.

    I certainly don’t discount the possibility of Trump being re-elected, but the democratic voting base is nowhere near as fractured as the media hype machine would like you believe.
    They don't need to be as fractured, they just need not to become energised.
    Best way to ensure that outcome is to nominate Biden.

    Best way to avoid that outcome is to nominate Sanders.

    We’ll see what happens.
    I agree. Sanders / who? though.

    Previously I was thinking Sanders / Harris. But that doesn't seem sane.

    Ideally it's someone relatively establishment with a foreign policy background. Is Condi an option?

    Because Sanders / Rice would be hilarious.
    I was just wondering how big a factor the nominated VP is on voter decisions? Does it really matter as much that it has recognizable influence on the outcome of the election?

    Or is "the right" VP nominee more like an acknowledgement to certain small but influential groups, which actually only would pay off after the election?

  6. #6806
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,780
    Funny discussion, here's what's going to happen: you will get Biden and you will be told to like it or you are a nazi trump supporter. Followed by huge surprise at Trump getting second term.

  7. #6807
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,660
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Funny discussion, here's what's going to happen: you will get Biden and you will be told to like it or you are a nazi trump supporter. Followed by huge surprise at Trump getting second term.
    Plausible.

  8. #6808

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    13,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Funny discussion, here's what's going to happen: you will get Biden and you will be told to like it or you are a nazi trump supporter. Followed by huge surprise at Trump getting second term.
    Plausible.
    Likely even tbh.

  9. #6809
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    20,629
    I wouldn't be shocked if Bernie gets the nomination and then everyone in the media pivots and suddenly Trump isn't so bad after all.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  10. #6810

  11. #6811
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    14,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    So when does this nazi prick and the other traitors he hangs out with get punished for domestic terrorism?
    meh

  12. #6812
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,660
    Uhh, probably never.

  13. #6813
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    14,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Uhh, probably never.
    Not much point in having laws and an oath that specifically mentions domestic enemies of the constitution if we never apply them.
    meh

  14. #6814
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,330
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Uhh, probably never.
    Not much point in having laws and an oath that specifically mentions domestic enemies of the constitution if we never apply them.
    there will never be an american nelson mandela

  15. #6815
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,660
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Uhh, probably never.
    Not much point in having laws and an oath that specifically mentions domestic enemies of the constitution if we never apply them.
    Sure there is. Very useful against those dangerous leftists who want to give people “healthcare” and “education.”

  16. #6816
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Uhh, probably never.
    Not much point in having laws and an oath that specifically mentions domestic enemies of the constitution if we never apply them.
    there will never be an american nelson mandela
    No; any such figure would be assassinated before reaching Mandela status.

  17. #6817
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if Bernie gets the nomination and then everyone in the media pivots and suddenly Trump isn't so bad after all.
    I would, more about Bernie getting nomination than CNN and MSNBC praising Trump.

  18. #6818
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    14,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Uhh, probably never.
    Not much point in having laws and an oath that specifically mentions domestic enemies of the constitution if we never apply them.
    there will never be an american nelson mandela
    No; any such figure would be assassinated before reaching Mandela status.
    The 27 years of incarceration are important to the Mandela story and psyche. Who knows how many young Mandelas are currently contemplating the injustice of the American justice system in various facilities around the country that put Robben Island to shame.
    meh

  19. #6819
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    5,660
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if Bernie gets the nomination and then everyone in the media pivots and suddenly Trump isn't so bad after all.
    I would, more about Bernie getting nomination than CNN and MSNBC praising Trump.
    If Bernie gets the nom, MSNBC and CNN will pivot to “Trump is bad, but at least the economy is doing well. Sanders is bad for the economy.”

  20. #6820
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if Bernie gets the nomination and then everyone in the media pivots and suddenly Trump isn't so bad after all.
    I would, more about Bernie getting nomination than CNN and MSNBC praising Trump.
    If Bernie gets the nom, MSNBC and CNN will pivot to “Trump is bad, but at least the economy is doing well. Sanders is bad for the economy.”
    Hell if he wins Iowa it's going to be all hands on deck like we have never seen before.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •