hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 125 of 326 FirstFirst ... 2575115122123124125126127128135175225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 6501

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

I love how in a single sentence he manages to flatter the American white under class into thinking they're the middle and misdirects the idea of the upper class to be anyone who cares about social issues.
    You don't agree with the sentence "For years we've put the interests of the cosmopolitan upperclass ahead of the American middle" then? That's what Trump, Sanders, Warren, etc. have been saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    What??? Why is the hammer and the sickle on the "WTF, yes of course it's bad why are we even having this converstation" side? That's so strange when we all know it would be "What immigrants in cages? That is Western propaganda, comrade".

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post

I love how in a single sentence he manages to flatter the American white under class into thinking they're the middle and misdirects the idea of the upper class to be anyone who cares about social issues.
    You don't agree with the sentence "For years we've put the interests of the cosmopolitan upperclass ahead of the American middle" then? That's what Trump, Sanders, Warren, etc. have been saying.
    I mean, what shocking about that is its a Republican making a factual statement. Nothing more. R still has decades of doing exactly what that dude said to overcome before anyone with any brains will trust they are "just working for the common man", quite frankly.
    meh

What??? Why is the hammer and the sickle on the "WTF, yes of course it's bad why are we even having this converstation" side? That's so strange when we all know it would be "What immigrants in cages? That is Western propaganda, comrade".
    this is obviously news to you, but the USSR has been defunct for about 30 years at this point.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Yet the fasces and swastika symbols are references to Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy, both of which have been defunct for about 70 years ...

Yet the fasces and swastika symbols are references to Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy, both of which have been defunct for about 70 years ...
    I mean yes, but that sure hasn’t stopped a lot of Americans from adopting that symbol.
    meh

Lol, right.

Soviets did not wrong meme here.....

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post

If this is the same mountain top, last time I was up there (many moons ago), the mountain had actually two peaks. On one were a bunch of the best terrestrial optical telescopes in the world (the tour was great, but they're not open to the public because they're in everyday (night?) use (obviously)), the other peak (which I visited as well and which was slightly higher), had a teeny weeny place of worship on it.

At the time I was told that the deal they had struck with the Hawaiians was that they would get the higher peak, and the scientists would get the lower one. The lower peak was getting pretty crowded though. Even though I'm a scientist, I still think they should stick with the bargain (which was, indeed, quite controversial on the big island already). Just spend more money on developing the lower peak really.

Frankly, this doesn't sound like a clash between science and local superstition/religion. More like a money issue. But those telescopes are bloody expensive as it is. A bit more for building up foundations will like a drop in the ocean.
    Wow nice. I have no plans to visit Hawaii again, but if I'm reading you right you need a contact/connection to get a tour and see the telescopes?

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Lol, right.

19th century Chileans were soviets, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Lol, right.

19th century Chileans were soviets, eh?

You (Isyel) are at the ranking top of all the other users in here that consistently just dishes out insults without any other content. You had it coming. Take it like a man and grow up.
    Just in case this isn't clear by now (and it really shouldn't be necessary to point out, you're all grownups) saying that people should be killed because of their political or religious convictions IS NOT FUCKING OK. Tempban handed out in the movie thread. Apply a minimum of self control ffs

It's true though, Romans definitely support putting people into cages after they take a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    It's true though, Romans definitely support putting people into cages after they take a city.
    It's not immigration if you take their land.

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    It's not immigration if you take their land.
    Israeli immigration policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

amazing now Trump wants to ask the swedish pm to let go of some trashy us rapper that beat some guy on the street to go free... rofl the rapper should be happy he got put to jail for a short duration, it will bolster the rappers sales

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

I mean that's always been the idea with Trump. This is just being done with less Brain Diarrhea so it might have more appeal.

The next Republican won't be as stupid as Trump so if Democrats keep insisting on being a party of the center, they will get crushed by this kind of person
    The core problem with the GOP will remain, even if they put up someone who isn't as retarded as Trump.

And that is that they're selling something the vast majority of the people don't want to buy into (anymore).

Trump is not so much the cause of the problem for the GOP, he's the natural endpoint of what the GOP have become.

There is no possible way for the GOP to stay this extreme, and not have a Trump-like character as their frontman.

And the GOP apparently wants to stay this extreme.

If anything, Trumpism is the terminus for what the GOP actually stands for. It is also the terminus of the GOP as we know it.
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...tan-experiment

Apparently “cosmopolitan” is the new-old dog-whistle of the day.

That was also a Stephen Miller thing iirc

But many normie voters won't interpret it that way. They think its the new way to refer to latter-drinking knowledge workers in NYC. Kind of a way to signal to multiple constituencies at once

Also this was the guy who beat Claire McCaskill, probably one of the most centrist and triangulated Democrats in the party.

Her big plan for better healthcare was... the Health Care Options for All Act. Another health insurance exchange, but specifically for people in counties which had no coverage. Wow!

https://theintercept.com/2019/07/05/...acebook-group/

Fire every one of these Nazi assholes, and publish their names and faces, so that we in the job creating community know who never, ever to give another job to.

DHS needs to be ended now. Congress should not pay for this poorly executed Nazi bullshit any longer.

Consider this:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain G. M. Gilbert, US Army Psychologist, Nuremberg
    “In my work with the defendants (at the Nuremberg Trails 1945-1949) I was searching for the nature of evil and I now think I have come close to defining it. A lack of empathy. It’s the one characteristic that connects all the defendants, a genuine incapacity to feel with their fellow men. Evil, I think, is the absence of empathy.”
    Last edited by erichkknaar; July 19 2019 at 10:44:48 PM.
    meh

One of my best friends, when I lived in the Bay Area, was a CBP guy. Genuinely decent, with no lack of empathy, and openly anti-racist (like he wouldn’t take an assignment to Seattle because he specifically wants his kids to grow up somewhere that is ethnically and culturally diverse.) I messaged him when Trump was elected and told him “So man, what are you going to do?” He intended to stay in and try to do what good he can.

Need to reach back out to him and see if he’s questioning that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    https://theintercept.com/2019/07/05/...acebook-group/

Fire every one of these Nazi assholes, and publish their names and faces, so that we in the job creating community know who never, ever to give another job to.

DHS needs to be ended now. Congress should not pay for this poorly executed Nazi bullshit any longer.

Consider this:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain G. M. Gilbert, US Army Psychologist, Nuremberg
    “In my work with the defendants (at the Nuremberg Trails 1945-1949) I was searching for the nature of evil and I now think I have come close to defining it. A lack of empathy. It’s the one characteristic that connects all the defendants, a genuine incapacity to feel with their fellow men. Evil, I think, is the absence of empathy.”
    It's a good philosophical question: are you evil if you lack empathy, or do evil acts only come out of unempathetic ones? Would a psychopath be inherently evil just because they don't empathize with their fellow man?

There's a good article in Time that lists the professions with the most psychopaths and police officers rank at #7 although for reference CEOs are #1 and studies estimated only 20% of them have psychopathic traits. I've seen conflicting information that police officers have more, but the studies that those sources used were extremely biased; I don't think using Yahoo! answers section counts as a credible source even for just forum shitposting.

Anyway a lack of empathy itself doesn't make a person evil, but it gives fertile ground for it to happen when enough people don't care or just do the work required. Just because someone has psychopathic traits doesn't mean they'll do bad things, in the same (and more important) way if someone does care it doesn't mean they'll be motivated to do the work required to not create horrible conditions. Evil triumph good nothing etc. Lachesis' post about the good CBP officers sticking around is what helps combat it. It's a good organization (borders need protection), but like a lot of government attracts enough of the people with sociopathic traits that bad things happen. Even the unsympathetic can combat it if you put in policy and the people working there do their job.
    Last edited by Spaztick; July 20 2019 at 01:54:36 AM.