hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 678 of 743 FirstFirst ... 178578628668675676677678679680681688728 ... LastLast
Results 13,541 to 13,560 of 14850

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

What is most shocking to me is that after all the scandals, all the incompetence and corruption, after COVID mismanagement... Trump still had this much support and this much chance to win. Without cheating. And if he does force vote counting to stop at midnight of election day he will win.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    What is most shocking to me is that after all the scandals, all the incompetence and corruption, after COVID mismanagement... Trump still had this much support and this much chance to win. Without cheating. And if he does force vote counting to stop at midnight of election day he will win.

Is there a mechanism that allows him to do that? I would've thought that would be in the hands of the electoral body.

It'll be in the hands of whoever is running the counts in various places.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    So, Republican judges appointed by Trump as soon as Obama left office and 6-3 supreme court.

So, Republican judges appointed by Trump as soon as Obama left office and 6-3 supreme court.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    I dont think it makes anyone uncomfortable but its made you from a good poster of a isyel level sperg, wasted potential, hate to see it
    love hate to see it

erich you at some point must realise wanting the mass death of people who don't think like you is... wrong - surely?
    You honestly think I want that?

Sorry I'm intolerant of racists.
    It's more the fact that you see the people you 'hate' as completely irredeemable and show very little understanding with regards to how they ended up with the views they hold...
    They were taught it by their parents, mostly, in my experience. Racists can only prove they are redeemable by not being racists. I don't know how I can make it simpler.

(you can really replace racist with bigot of any kind, tbh.)
    Lol the irony of seeing Erich arguing with Lark about their shared beliefs, Erich hates Republicans, Lark hates anyone not a white male, they really could get along with a few counseling sessions.
    I don't hate republicans. That would actually require me to care about them enough to expend energy on them. I think less of them than nothing. Worthless, anti-american and anti-social wastes of human genetic material. Voids of emotion, maybe.
    You're so cute when you try

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

sO mUcH fOr ThE tOlErAncE of the LeFT

Sent from my Potato using my fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Armyofme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    I dont think it makes anyone uncomfortable but its made you from a good poster of a isyel level sperg, wasted potential, hate to see it
    love hate to see it

erich you at some point must realise wanting the mass death of people who don't think like you is... wrong - surely?
    You honestly think I want that?

Sorry I'm intolerant of racists.
    It's more the fact that you see the people you 'hate' as completely irredeemable and show very little understanding with regards to how they ended up with the views they hold...
    They were taught it by their parents, mostly, in my experience. Racists can only prove they are redeemable by not being racists. I don't know how I can make it simpler.

(you can really replace racist with bigot of any kind, tbh.)
    Lol the irony of seeing Erich arguing with Lark about their shared beliefs, Erich hates Republicans, Lark hates anyone not a white male, they really could get along with a few counseling sessions.
    I don't hate republicans. That would actually require me to care about them enough to expend energy on them. I think less of them than nothing. Worthless, anti-american and anti-social wastes of human genetic material. Voids of emotion, maybe.
    You're so cute when you try
    I’m not a worthless cunt who has to pretend not to be a racist, homophobic cretin to get a minimum wage job like most republicans.
    meh

There are a huge number of cases slated to be heard, many will be struck down, some won't be. Both sides will file cases, some will be greviously bad law, they might still make it to the Supreme Court. None of these are currently "STOP THE VOTE IT IS MIDNIGHT" and I have no idea where the fuck that idea came from, almost all people know it's not gonna be decided for a few days, and if the votes look strong for Biden it'll be hard to get people to not go batshit nationwide if he just says "it's done night night I win". One week from today we should know all we need to know about the next month, and hopefully the future of the nation. If not the situation is much much worse than I'd hoped for. Honestly I just hope I can get my damn dr appt's out of the way before anything trully shit goes down.

We discussed this a couple of years ago. My understanding of the psychology is this: if you support someone (or some ideology, which is basically the same thing in this case) that commits terrible acts, once you get invested to a certain level, then any further terrible acts must be denied, handwaved, excused or claimed to actually be good. It's a psychological self-defence mechanism, because no one wants to think of themselves as supporting a treasonous, moneylaundering, rapist fascist idiot. "I'm a good person! I would never support a rapist, therefore this person I support can't be a rapist! I'm a smart person! I would never support an obvious conman, therefore this person I support can't be a babbling flim-flam man"

And there more terrible things Trump does, the more desperately they will deny, handwave, excuse or claim ewhat he does is good. Because if they ever stop, then they have to own all the awful things that they previously denied, handwaved, excused or claimed to actually be good and that would be literally unbearable. Very few people are able to truly internalise that they're both bad and stupid. Especially when a lot of them are kind of a way down that road already.
    Last edited by Malcanis; November 2 2020 at 04:27:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

We discussed this a couple of years ago. My understanding of the psychology is this: if you support someone (or some ideology, which is basically the same thing in this case) that commits terrible acts, once you get invested to a certain level, then any further terrible acts must be denied, handwaved, excused or claimed to actually be good. It's a psychological self-defence mechanism, because no one wants to think of themselves as supporting a treasonous, moneylaundering, rapist fascist idiot. "I'm a good person! I would never support a rapist, therefore this person I support can't be a rapist! I'm a smart person! I would never support an obvious conman, therefore this person I support can't be a babbling flim-flam man"

And there more terrible things Trump does, the more desperately they will deny, handwave, excuse or claim ewhat he does is good. Because if they ever stop, then they have to own all the awful things that they previously denied, handwaved, excused or claimed to actually be good and that would be literally unbearable. Very few people are able to truly internalise that they're both bad and stupid. Especially when a lot of them are kind of a way down that road already.
    That's why impeachment on collusion charges was doomed to fail from the start. Because if you had let it proceed, it would basically be an admittance that USA elected puppet for president. And so on, and so forth.

And then the next thing you know....

Nuremburg.
    meh

Nuremburg.
    Nah, next up is Reichstag Fire II: Washington Boogaloo.

EDIT Closely followed by a shitty straight-to-TV remake of Krystallnacht.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Nuremburg.
    Nah, next up is Reichstag Fire II: Washington Boogaloo.

EDIT Closely followed by a shitty straight-to-TV remake of Krystallnacht.
    Yes, yes. We know there’s a lot of stuff that happens in the middle, at some point soviet tanks cross the Potomac and then Nuremberg.

Also, lets see how much fight the boogs have in them when they start dying, shitting themselves in the street.

I’m going to guess not much.
    meh

Based on the existing Law of the States in question, yes.

Basically, there likely will be a bunch of rulings that say "State Law says this, so this is what must be done" regardless of who it helps or hurts.

If your State says all ballots must be counted by X, and that the State Sec. of Elections must Certify, etc., then any deviation from that will likely result in a lawsuit from either Campaign A or Campaign B.

Lets not pretend now that the Biden Campaign doesn't have a few hundred lawyers and a few million dollars set aside to both file and fight cases as well.

TLDR: Better hope you like your State Law as written, because that's likely how things will get ruled on end of the day. No feel good, must count every vote, but but COVID reasons/excuses if State Law doesn't already cover or allow them.

Interestingly, CNN is hardcore cheerleading for "no decision no0 matter how long it takes", this morning I was listening in and they were basically arguing for no decision till at least Nov. 9th if not later in some States. That seems a bit misguided to me.

Tell me true, how many of YOUR countries allow for elections where no winning is declared for a week or more after election day for your highest office(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Tell me true, how many of YOUR countries allow for elections where no winning is declared for a week or more after election day for your highest office(s)?
    Swedish law says counting should be done by four days after election day, but we have a functional system in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Based on the existing Law of the States in question, yes.

Basically, there likely will be a bunch of rulings that say "State Law says this, so this is what must be done" regardless of who it helps or hurts.

If your State says all ballots must be counted by X, and that the State Sec. of Elections must Certify, etc., then any deviation from that will likely result in a lawsuit from either Campaign A or Campaign B.

Lets not pretend now that the Biden Campaign doesn't have a few hundred lawyers and a few million dollars set aside to both file and fight cases as well.

TLDR: Better hope you like your State Law as written, because that's likely how things will get ruled on end of the day. No feel good, must count every vote, but but COVID reasons/excuses if State Law doesn't already cover or allow them.

Interestingly, CNN is hardcore cheerleading for "no decision no0 matter how long it takes", this morning I was listening in and they were basically arguing for no decision till at least Nov. 9th if not later in some States. That seems a bit misguided to me.

Most of them. We tend to get it done within a few days though, because we don't have the ruling party trying to deny peoples right to vote, we actually have a modern system and constitution in South Africa, and we have an actual national election commission that ensures a free and fair (and most importantly, consistent) vote for all citizens. We aren't fucking delusional that our archaic, racist, laughing stock of a voting system is in any way adequate, fair or hasn't been rigged by anti-american shitbags.
    meh

Yeah no decision no matter what is kinda dumb but honestly this isn't a normal time, it might be a drawn out process.

Also its a 3 month transition period so there is room for this.
    Last edited by Jack Coutu; November 2 2020 at 08:13:12 PM.

Yeah no decision no matter what is kinda dumb but honestly this isn't a normal time, it might be a drawn out process.

Also its a 3 month transition period so there is room for this.
    My fear, is that the "might be a drawn out process" will be, if it happens, the catalyst for political violence.

My fervent hope is a landslide for Biden.

I'd quite unhappily try and tolerate a landslide for Trump....shocking tho that would be to me.

What I worry about is an endlessly contested close (or faux close) election, spawning hundreds of lawsuits and court cases, more protests, more violence, and what worse things might come with all the time it'll take to work through all that.

Obviously, I hope Biden just blows him out of the water and it can be called tomorrow night.