hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 619 of 662 FirstFirst ... 119519569609616617618619620621622629 ... LastLast
Results 12,361 to 12,380 of 13229

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

  1. #12361
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,725
    thisisfine.jpg especially considering this bit.

    of course, the response from the "MUH NORMS! MUH DECORUM! MUH CIVILITY!" brigade is a predictable scornful-fuck-all.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  2. #12362
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    thisisfine.jpg especially considering this bit.

    of course, the response from the "MUH NORMS! MUH DECORUM! MUH CIVILITY!" brigade is a predictable scornful-fuck-all.
    Biden is the worst possible choice you could have for this scenario. He has no energy or presence. A big part of this thing will count on the Democrat digging in and asserting that they won, instead of just going home for ice cream before 6pm

  3. #12363
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,993
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    This thread is a perfect example of the clusterfuck that is unity among the left. It's like the spanish civil war but with 200% more autism
    fyp

  4. #12364
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,931
    That's because no one can pass the every increasingly severe purity tests to reach the 33rd circle of leftism.

    Also, most of the american voting public would identify as "center or slightly center left/right" on any normal political compass test, but we've used left without any real meaning for so long that yeah...
    meh

  5. #12365
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,044
    People don't vote based on policy, because very little policy in isolation makes any meaningful difference to the lives of the general public.

    The middle classes are more likely to be affected by a non-democratic change in workplace policy than by domestic policy passed by electoral mandate. American politics is now about identity and nation, not about policy.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  6. #12366
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    People don't vote based on policy, because very little policy in isolation makes any meaningful difference to the lives of the general public.

    The middle classes are more likely to be affected by a non-democratic change in workplace policy than by domestic policy passed by electoral mandate. American politics is now about identity and nation, not about policy.
    That's not true given what's happened in 2020. There's still people who vote on whether their life improved under the incumbent. It's a crude measure of policy, but it's still there.

    Biden's polls in a non-covid world would be like +1 instead of +7
    Last edited by mewninn; September 24 2020 at 02:01:29 PM.

  7. #12367
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,831
    Optimistic analysts predict we'll still be growing by 3% as Congress shuts off the money faucet

    Goldman Sachs Group Inc. economists halved their forecast for U.S. growth in the fourth quarter after deciding there will not be additional fiscal stimulus until next year.The researchers led by Jan Hatzius now predict the world’s largest economy will expand 3% on a quarterly annualized basis, down from the 6% they previously anticipated.

  8. #12368
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    14,725
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  9. #12369
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,499
    THe Democratic Governors hould really be forming ideas, Congress has no real power over the election when that little fucker McConnell is there and doesn't want to wield it. If things go wrong, things are going to get regional real quick. Good luck feeding a country without the coastal states that provide a majority of the food. I heard some moron screeching about California being evil and taking all our resources, neglecting he's bought into a food system that relies so heavily on California that he'd not be able to get half the things he had in his grocery cart without it.

  10. #12370
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    ITT Lief, a man who has become enthralled with right-wing youtube bullshit, and AW, who advocates for wiping out those that aid in revolution if they don't agree with the state, because fuck workers, just don't fuck them with capitalism, argue what the left should be when they aren't really leftists lol.
    You're just making shit up at this point. It's an interesting worldview where all of your opponents are strawmen built in lies. Stay angry.
    I'm not, but keep negrepping with hints on who you are, I haven't been able to see who reps me for 8 years now

  11. #12371
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    https://unlimitedhangout.com/2020/09...-the-election/

    https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ection-and.pdf
    “Bipartisan” Washington Insiders Reveal Their Plan for Chaos if Trump Wins the Election
    A group of “bipartisan” neoconservative Republicans and establishment Democrats have been “simulating” multiple catastrophic scenarios for the 2020 election, including a simulation where a clear victory by the incumbent provokes “unprecedented” measures, which the Biden campaign could take to foil a new Trump inauguration.
    Congress is preparing Measures to stop Trump if he tries to dispute the election. Good, the Empire requires a smooth transition of power to the next regime.
    And the Trump team is preparing measures to ensure that there is no transition. Case in point: State legislators can select the group of electors, regardless of the state's result in the election. "Oh, a red state voted blue? Yeah, we're walking that back."
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

  12. #12372
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    ITT Lief, a man who has become enthralled with right-wing youtube bullshit, and AW, who advocates for wiping out those that aid in revolution if they don't agree with the state, because fuck workers, just don't fuck them with capitalism, argue what the left should be when they aren't really leftists lol.
    You're just making shit up at this point. It's an interesting worldview where all of your opponents are strawmen built in lies. Stay angry.
    I'm not, but keep negrepping with hints on who you are, I haven't been able to see who reps me for 8 years now
    Nah that's the only time I'm gonna negrep you, you're just literally making up strawmen to argue against now so literally no point in engaging with you further.

  13. #12373
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    https://unlimitedhangout.com/2020/09...-the-election/

    https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ection-and.pdf
    “Bipartisan” Washington Insiders Reveal Their Plan for Chaos if Trump Wins the Election
    A group of “bipartisan” neoconservative Republicans and establishment Democrats have been “simulating” multiple catastrophic scenarios for the 2020 election, including a simulation where a clear victory by the incumbent provokes “unprecedented” measures, which the Biden campaign could take to foil a new Trump inauguration.
    Congress is preparing Measures to stop Trump if he tries to dispute the election. Good, the Empire requires a smooth transition of power to the next regime.
    And the Trump team is preparing measures to ensure that there is no transition. Case in point: State legislators can select the group of electors, regardless of the state's result in the election. "Oh, a red state voted blue? Yeah, we're walking that back."
    I think we can all agree a peaceful transfer of power from one regime to the next is the desired outcome so hopefully there are protocols in place for such an eventuality.

    It's my theory that is one of the functions of the secret service, to remove the previous administration from power if they refuse to leave.

  14. #12374
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    22,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    https://unlimitedhangout.com/2020/09...-the-election/

    https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ection-and.pdf
    “Bipartisan” Washington Insiders Reveal Their Plan for Chaos if Trump Wins the Election
    A group of “bipartisan” neoconservative Republicans and establishment Democrats have been “simulating” multiple catastrophic scenarios for the 2020 election, including a simulation where a clear victory by the incumbent provokes “unprecedented” measures, which the Biden campaign could take to foil a new Trump inauguration.
    Congress is preparing Measures to stop Trump if he tries to dispute the election. Good, the Empire requires a smooth transition of power to the next regime.
    And the Trump team is preparing measures to ensure that there is no transition. Case in point: State legislators can select the group of electors, regardless of the state's result in the election. "Oh, a red state voted blue? Yeah, we're walking that back."
    I think we can all agree a peaceful transfer of power from one regime to the next is the desired outcome so hopefully there are protocols in place for such an eventuality.

    It's my theory that is one of the functions of the secret service, to remove the previous administration from power if they refuse to leave.
    I'd love to see how the Maga crowd respond to that
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  15. #12375
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    https://unlimitedhangout.com/2020/09...-the-election/

    https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ection-and.pdf
    “Bipartisan” Washington Insiders Reveal Their Plan for Chaos if Trump Wins the Election
    A group of “bipartisan” neoconservative Republicans and establishment Democrats have been “simulating” multiple catastrophic scenarios for the 2020 election, including a simulation where a clear victory by the incumbent provokes “unprecedented” measures, which the Biden campaign could take to foil a new Trump inauguration.
    Congress is preparing Measures to stop Trump if he tries to dispute the election. Good, the Empire requires a smooth transition of power to the next regime.
    And the Trump team is preparing measures to ensure that there is no transition. Case in point: State legislators can select the group of electors, regardless of the state's result in the election. "Oh, a red state voted blue? Yeah, we're walking that back."
    I think we can all agree a peaceful transfer of power from one regime to the next is the desired outcome so hopefully there are protocols in place for such an eventuality.

    It's my theory that is one of the functions of the secret service, to remove the previous administration from power if they refuse to leave.
    I mean, the law is quite clear. He stops being president on Jan 20th, no matter what him, or anyone else thinks (assuming it is in fact a loss). At that point, he's trespassing.
    meh

  16. #12376
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    9,795
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    https://unlimitedhangout.com/2020/09...-the-election/

    https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ection-and.pdf
    “Bipartisan” Washington Insiders Reveal Their Plan for Chaos if Trump Wins the Election
    A group of “bipartisan” neoconservative Republicans and establishment Democrats have been “simulating” multiple catastrophic scenarios for the 2020 election, including a simulation where a clear victory by the incumbent provokes “unprecedented” measures, which the Biden campaign could take to foil a new Trump inauguration.
    Congress is preparing Measures to stop Trump if he tries to dispute the election. Good, the Empire requires a smooth transition of power to the next regime.
    And the Trump team is preparing measures to ensure that there is no transition. Case in point: State legislators can select the group of electors, regardless of the state's result in the election. "Oh, a red state voted blue? Yeah, we're walking that back."
    I think we can all agree a peaceful transfer of power from one regime to the next is the desired outcome so hopefully there are protocols in place for such an eventuality.

    It's my theory that is one of the functions of the secret service, to remove the previous administration from power if they refuse to leave.
    I mean, the law is quite clear. He stops being president on Jan 20th, no matter what him, or anyone else thinks (assuming it is in fact a loss). At that point, he's trespassing.
    I cant remember how long the bush v gore thing dragged out. Did they push the inauguration back?

  17. #12377
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

    I cant remember how long the bush v gore thing dragged out. Did they push the inauguration back?
    I think Joe Biden just has to win by a big margin and most people will slink away from Trump until there's nothing to help him stay in the WH.

    Even a packed Supreme Court would be reluctant to help him if Biden won by like 7-8%.

    The court counts on having some kind of legitimacy so people go along with the latest pro-business ruling on a pipeline or labor dispute. Donald Trump is only around for a few more years, but people like Gorsuch/Roberts are thinking in terms of the next 20-30.

  18. #12378
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    People don't vote based on policy....
    I vote based on policy. Values and priorities as well, but heavily on policy.

    I presume I'm not the only one. I think many college educated voters do in fact condier policy in their vote choice.

    With that said, I know plenty of people, most either non-college educated or otherwise not "into" details like policy, that vote purely on how they "feel" on one or two issues or about the two candidates in some of the most general (and often factually ignorant) terms.

    The number of people who will vote for Trump because "those extreme far left Biden/Harris/AOC people are Communists coming to take away muh Free'dums" is sickening.

    I'll refrain from saying more, as I'd sure hate to be attacked for a "both sides" arguments as per usual. So I'll just stop here.

    I agree with Mew. End of the day, the margin needs to be large enough to make any chance at contesting it moot. We can hope...
    Last edited by Alistair; September 24 2020 at 07:01:52 PM.


  19. #12379
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,931
    I mean, Republicans have literally advanced “lol, whatever Herr Trumpf says” as their “policy”, so, while you may not like it, at least the Democrats actually published, you know, a party platform and stuff.
    meh

  20. #12380
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    People don't vote based on policy....
    I vote based on policy. Values and priorities as well, but heavily on policy.

    I presume I'm not the only one. I think many college educated voters do in fact condier policy in their vote choice.

    With that said, I know plenty of people, most either non-college educated or otherwise not "into" details like policy, that vote purely on how they "feel" on one or two issues or about the two candidates in some of the most general (and often factually ignorant) terms.

    The number of people who will vote for Trump because "those extreme far left Biden/Harris/AOC people are Communists coming to take away muh Free'dums" is sickening.

    I'll refrain from saying more, as I'd sure hate to be attacked for a "both sides" arguments as per usual. So I'll just stop here.

    I agree with Mew. End of the day, the margin needs to be large enough to make any chance at contesting it moot. We can hope...
    I have a feeling it's a mix for most people. Obviously most people voting for someone that is openly saying and doing things Trump does are not really thinking about policy. If they were they'd realize 200k people have died, and they are worse off than ever before. Then again I hated Clinton and though she'd know how to run things well, she'd of run thing well in the sense that they'd stay the same and barely benefit anyone. I voted for her because I knew this was the end result of a Trump presidency. It's not been as bad as I feared, but it's getting there. Policy definelty is the key difference for me though, stealing an election seems like a pretty fucking terrible policy to back but hey, no one in there right mind should expect the Republican leadership to do the "right" thing anymore.

    I really hope that if anything, this motivates more functional human beings to become Democrat leadership. Or that we abandon the elections and just start doing lottery based democracy, ffs anything but where this goes the next 3 or 4 cycles.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •