hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 902 of 929 FirstFirst ... 402802852892899900901902903904905912 ... LastLast
Results 18,021 to 18,040 of 18570

Thread: US Politics Thread, 2.0

Hurricane Andrew I guess but that was "end of history cold war just won" America in the early 90s

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Was there a disaster in the last 20 years that got handled appropriately by America?
    sort of? we get strong hurricanes all the time, people only remember the catastrophic ones like Katrina or the more recent flooding in Houston
    There are some residents in a certain american island that beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Was there a disaster in the last 20 years that got handled appropriately by America?
    sort of? we get strong hurricanes all the time, people only remember the catastrophic ones like Katrina or the more recent flooding in Houston
    Yeah there's a reason why people dont remember Puerto Rico. Its not part of the mainland and it has no political status or anyone advocating on its behalf within the national media.

Yeah there's a reason why people dont remember Puerto Rico. Its not part of the mainland and it has no political status or anyone advocating on its behalf within the national media.
    Not that it would happen but could PR get out to a better world if they were allowed to leave the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Not that it would happen but could PR get out to a better world if they were allowed to leave the US?
    Doubt it

PR is in a terrible spot because its being strip-mined by private equity vultures and has 0 representation in Washington. But that's not fundamentally different from the plight of other countries in the Carribbean and Latin America. They too have no representation in Washington while they're beholden to it and being strip-mined under the pretense of paying back IMF loans

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Regional issues blown up by the media? More people died from PG&E’s fuckups than people in the entire state of Texas from the once in a century weather event.
    The Fires are an every year thing from now on, because climate change. I'd get used to them no matter who is running the power grid. For the record, I'm in favor of nationalizing it, as are a surprising amount of people. By every measure, PG&E are a failed entity, but they aren't failed by ideologically nonsense. Just plain old fashioned incompetence.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Regional issues blown up by the media? More people died from PG&E’s fuckups than people in the entire state of Texas from the once in a century weather event.
    The Fires are an every year thing from now on, because climate change. I'd get used to them no matter who is running the power grid. For the record, I'm in favor of nationalizing it, as are a surprising amount of people. By every measure, PG&E are a failed entity, but they aren't failed by ideologically nonsense. Just plain old fashioned incompetence.
    So you'll take the same end result so long as it's produced by people that have the same ideology as you. Shocking.

https://www.kltv.com/2021/03/02/watc...nouncement-pm/

Texas to open 100%, mask mandate removed. This is obviously going to end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    So you'll take the same end result so long as it's produced by people that have the same ideology as you. Shocking.
    If you think the end result is the same, you're high. Texas announced no more masks today. This is your country on Republican ideology.
    meh

If you think the end result is the same, you're high. Texas announced no more masks today. This is your country on Republican ideology.

Would you be willing to enforce public safety in your home state of California (if you were allowed to carry a firearm) like this historic patriot erich?

California has botched its pandemic response pretty terribly, and not all pandemic-related issues are tied to party affiliation. Only a few governors did the right thing all the way through anyways, Abbot is a full-blown garbage person, but Newsom isn't really stellar either, doing little to actually prevent spread and just allowing things that were in his control to remain broken. Ideology doesn't matter much to me, results do, and while the federal response was classic Republican inaction and incompetence combined, so many state governors, expecting federal guidelines, waited and did nothing, and Newsom did little even after it was clear there was no hope of aid coming. Action even if the results are stellar is better than inaction and things going to absolute shit. Also there are a lot of morons that will turn around and vote for Abbot again, because conservatives usually like being shit on by the people they elect, while a large portion of the Democratic electorate, larger than GOP's by far, isn't always pleased by being shit on when a person has little stopping him from doing the right thing, which is what Newsom is guilty of.

California has botched its pandemic response pretty terribly, and not all pandemic-related issues are tied to party affiliation. Only a few governors did the right thing all the way through anyways, Abbot is a full-blown garbage person, but Newsom isn't really stellar either, doing little to actually prevent spread and just allowing things that were in his control to remain broken. Ideology doesn't matter much to me, results do, and while the federal response was classic Republican inaction and incompetence combined, so many state governors, expecting federal guidelines, waited and did nothing, and Newsom did little even after it was clear there was no hope of aid coming. Action even if the results are stellar is better than inaction and things going to absolute shit. Also there are a lot of morons that will turn around and vote for Abbot again, because conservatives usually like being shit on by the people they elect, while a large portion of the Democratic electorate, larger than GOP's by far, isn't always pleased by being shit on when a person has little stopping him from doing the right thing, which is what Newsom is guilty of.
    How, exactly, other than as a right wing talking point from SoCal republicans trying to recall him, has Newsom fucked up the Pandemic response?

I’d like you to list the main points you think he fucked up.
    meh

Neera Tanden's nomination to OMB director fails. I don't know what they were smoking nominating her as she's fucking terrible. Doubtless they'll find someone slightly worse (like John Bolton lol) who doesn't have quite such a toxic twitter account to replace her with.

What's this about Americans paying income tax on unemployment and about to get rodded by the IRS?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Regional issues blown up by the media? More people died from PG&Es fuckups than people in the entire state of Texas from the once in a century weather event.

Would you be willing to enforce public safety in your home state of California (if you were allowed to carry a firearm) like this historic patriot erich?

No no, strict epidemic measures are only a NWO plot for total control of the population thought plandemic hysteria. There were no epidemics like this ever before and certainly no such strict measures as today...

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

What's this about Americans paying income tax on unemployment and about to get rodded by the IRS?
    Most of the social benefits aren't tax exempt in the glorious communistic Finland either, but then again progressive taxation means that you end up paying next to nothing on the taxes if living on the benefits alone

In the US, income is income, and it's all taxable to some degree. If your income for the year was only the stimulus checks, you probably won't pay any effective federal tax on an income that low. All kinds of standard deductions will likely push your tax burden to zero. If, however, that is added to some other income, and you are earning say, 25k, you'll pay some tax, and you still have social security and Medicare contributions to pay. Again, there will likely be deductions you will be able to apply to effectively take your taxes to zero.
    meh

Are those deductions decided on the federal or state level?
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Depends on the state, California has higher than most, so, there is a tax on income I pay, and far less deductions are possible on it, although there are some. There are many, many more deductions at federal level. From things like a credit toward taxes you paid locally, car registration (which is state) to simple "Standard Deduction" and things like tax credits for kids.

Other states, like Washington, for example, has no personal income tax.
    meh

In the US, income is income, and it's all taxable to some degree. If your income for the year was only the stimulus checks, you probably won't pay any effective federal tax on an income that low. All kinds of standard deductions will likely push your tax burden to zero. If, however, that is added to some other income, and you are earning say, 25k, you'll pay some tax, and you still have social security and Medicare contributions to pay. Again, there will likely be deductions you will be able to apply to effectively take your taxes to zero.
    Pretty much covers it. Most social benefits, such as unemployment or disability, you have the option to have your taxes withheld from your payments. However the stimmy checks didnt have this option, you just got it, so you're on the hook for x% of it depending on your income level. So worst case I think you would owe like $400ish on it but thats still not great for people who are living on the razors edge.

Depends on the state, California has higher than most, so, there is a tax on income I pay, and far less deductions are possible on it, although there are some. There are many, many more deductions at federal level. From things like a credit toward taxes you paid locally, car registration (which is state) to simple "Standard Deduction" and things like tax credits for kids.

Other states, like Washington, for example, has no personal income tax.
    [strike]Not really related to this, but I believe the federal deduction for local taxes has been removed.[/strike]
    edit: nvm they capped it
    Last edited by Straight Hustlin; March 3 2021 at 03:36:28 PM.